Malmaison Manchester Hotel

Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Rated 11% higher but also costs 99% more than other 3 star hotels

• clareabee's Profile Photo

Trendy Romantic Hotel

This is a romantic hotel located very near to Picadilly station. The decor might not appeal to some people as it is quite dark (I would call it romantic), and I know my dad doesn't rate the decor!
    The staff are friendly and helpful offering information on the area etc.
    The restaurant here is of excellent quality - i would advise that you register on the Malmaison website as they have some great offers on dining and stays which are very good value for money.
    The rooms are nice - but I would request a front facing room - we had one at the rear and although quiet it looked out on street with derelict buildings reminicent of a street scene from Miami Vice!
    I don't think this is a place you take kids - its more for a romantic liason!

Unique Quality: excellent spa (Le Petit Spa) in the basement. Fab bar scene - many celebrities (if you can call some of them that!) frequent the place - not sure if this is a good or bad thing!
    Location is excellent.

• Firestar24's Profile Photo

An expensive stay in a Gothic Heaven.

I'd visited the website and walked slowly passed the intimidating black glass building many times before and finally convinced Jonathan that our next trip to Manchester should include a stay in Malmaison. I've translated it correctly, right? "Bad House"? The name suits the cool gothic theme of the hotel. Everywhere is decorated in red, black and purple with low, tinted lighting and candles lining the main staircase. The rooms are up-to-the-second modern with bold stripes dominating the decor.

To be honest, I found it hard to sleep in such a trippy room. I was glad we didn't get really drunk for our stay - all those stripes and swirls would have sent me straight to the bathroom! Also, for the price we paid, I was quite disappointed with the standard of cleanliness in the rooms - but perhaps we were just unlucky. Having said all that, the service was excellent throughout our stay, the brasserie serves fabulous, perfectly cooked dishes and though we found the refined atmosphere of the bar quite claustrophobic - background jazz, very low lighting and the same red, purple and black - they make a fabulous Bloody Mary which was so hot my tongue was practically smoking!

Other people I've spoken to have really enjoyed their stay at the Malmaison and talk about going back with great enthusiasm. I just don't think it's our "cup of tea"! I prefer to stay somewhere more classic and found this cool, modern hotel quite oppressive. Certainly I thought the £380 we paid for a two night stay was simply not worth the money.

Directions: Practically opposite Manchester Picadilly train station.

More about Malmaison Manchester Hotel

Great Hotel

Thoroughly enjoyed a one night stay at the Malmaison Manchester with my partner during the first weekend of January, the staff were extremely polite and helpful, and the room was fantastic particularly the bathroom.

The brasserie was the highlight of the evening with excellent food and service, and I would recommend it to anyone even if you are not staying at the hotel.

Will return to the Malmaison.

Totally overrated and overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member graduate

We stayed in the Malmaison Manchester for 4 nights recently, while in Manchester on business. We really felt that the reception staff were rude, condescending and unhelpful.

Despite the fact that 2 of us were clearly staying in the room, towels for one were left every night.. despite repeated reminders. Also, I found it strange that you could not simply order a cup of coffee as the sachets provided in the room were not replaced requiring reminders every time.

When we arrived the shower did not work .. I had to call housekeeping four times before it was repaired.

As regards design, sure it was pleasant but the reception is too dark and besides the bar and restaurant there aren't any places just to sit. I found that although the rooms were well proportioned corners had been cut especially in the bathroom which although big had a nonsensical design. Despite lots of space, when the shower did work it was so small that one had to stand with your face smashed against the glass door just to get wet!

Overall, I guess it serves a purpose and some of the bar and restaurant staff were very pleasant (although equal numbers of them felt they were too cool for words) but definitely not worth the £155 per night I paid.
Also the 10% service charge on all service is not transparent.

Great evening away

by TripAdvisor Member SHK1

I was really worried about my impending evening at this hotel after reading all the negative reviews, thankfully I found it to be very nice. Our room was a standard double room but was far from small, we had plenty of space and the room was spotlesly clean. The staff were all attentive and polite and the food in the restaraunt was of a very good quality. Very nice hotel!

Excellent Hotel but rude staff

by TripAdvisor Member kayres

The Malmasion is very well located in Manchester Picadilly. Only a few minutes walk from the station and shops. First impressions were excellent. Modern, clean and very cosy colours and interior. Very impressed with the room, especially the bathroom. CD player, radio, tv, iron, warm towels on a towel rail, nice shampoo, body wash etc and air con were all provided.
Dinner was first class, absolutely delicious and lots to choose from. Very comfortable in the dining area too. The only thing that ruined it were the rude, arrogant and unhelpful staff. Breakfast was also very tasty with a wide variety.
Top hotel shame about the staff!

Wonderful place - we loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member hotelhopper100

It must be said, after reading some of the reviews on this site, we weren't sure that we would like this hotel. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the extremely helpful and polite staff, who were friendly, approachable and efficient. The hotel decor was suitably swanky to make it feel special and our room was spacious, clean and well designed. We could not fault anything and we will definitely book to stay there again, as soon as we have an excuse to return to Manchester!!

Brilliant Staff

I have visited Malmaision Manchester extremely frequently over the last 12 months and have found the staff friendly in general, and excellent when being specific. In particular, the restaurant has a great bunch of people - very very helpful, smiley, and above all, relaxed. I never mind eating alone as one of the staff will happily chat away to me if i need it! I am always surprised by the general negative reviews spoiling the reputation of an amazing hotel. I still dont understand why one bad encounter with a rude member of staff should tar a whole experience or work force. lets be balanced about this!!!

Things must have changed!!!

We read these reviews after we'd booked but before we travelled. Things must have changed for the better as we have just returned after a Boxing Day break and were warmly welcomed by the staff at reception and in the great Brasserie. Rooms were spotless and the hotel is still a design icon.

Room service was also great and not too pricey either. Well recommended.

Very good

by TripAdvisor Member Robin

Very good hotel - nice decor, handy location (next to Piccadily station), friendly staff, good gym, comfortable bed and good restaurant. Would definitely stay again... but only if it was on company expenses as its not cheap!

Comments