21 Dickinson Street, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M1 4LX, United Kingdom

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• kit_mc's Profile Photo

Novotel Manchester Centre

I stayed at the Novotel in November 2007 as part of my work. There were quite a few conferences on at the time and this ended up being the cheapest, most centrally located in its class.

It does certainly win points for its location, right in the centre of town, with Chinatown and clubbing disctrict right across the road. My room was a standard double and I was actually quite impressed by its size, very comfortable bed, the room came complete with tv, tea making facilities and even a sofa.

Bathroom was very nice, in fact I ended up taking a very long shower because it was so powerful.

What let this place down was the breakfast service. For business class hotels I expect a decent breakfast, given that most people are here for work and won't have a chance to grab something later when they wish. Breakfast was also an additional 12 pounds but even getting served coffee was a bit of a problem. The staff seem keener on shutting down and getting home than actually serving.

Unique Quality: All in all, this is a fairly standard, functional 3 to 4 star hotel and wouldn't win any prizes for unique qualities. Rooms are nice enough given the class, at about 120 pounds a night during peak times. Location is the winner here.

Options this central though do come in a fair bit more expensive though, so if you want a nice central base with plenty of space, you'll enjoy this. If you're looking for a bit of luxury, you'll need to fork out about another 40 pounds at a different hotel.

Be aware that parking is limited, even for picking up guests. A taxi from Piccadily train station to here will cost you about 6 pounds, walking will take about 15 minutes.

Directions: Central Manchester, near to the clubbing disctrict and Chinatown.

More about Novotel Manchester Centre

Great location, swanky hotel

by jhorsfield30 about Novotel Manchester

This is my first stay at the accorhotels Novotel Range, I was hoping for a comparison against the ibis which is directly opposite this hotel in Manchester Central City,
Upon arrival, very friendly staff, and booked a special rate on the web, against the £150 walk in fee. Rooms spacious and clean, very similar to the ibis style, apart from a separate toilet and combi shower/bath system,
There is a excellent sauna/fitness gym on the top floor, a very relaxing addition.
Right next to china town, its a simple 2 mins walk to a excellent range of local shops and bars.. Fitness/Sauna for guests, or a £5 charge for ibis residents.
Location,, good breakfast, very professional staff

Safety Notice in Room

by TripAdvisor Member CCNHTL

Take Care. I arrived at my room to find a "safety notice" saying for safety reasons do not open window. After complaining I was offered another room. However, the hotel staff insisted I move my own baggage.

The actual problem was easily fixed in less than 1 day which causes me to question why did they not bother to fix it in the first place?.

Okay stay...

by TripAdvisor Member paperdebris

I have just returned from Manchester. Stayed 2 nights.
Just a word of advise that if you need to use WIFI in your room, do not take the level 1 rooms (lobby is at level 0). the rooms do not have WIFI and only dial-up, and they do not provide cables. WIFI is only avail in lobby and level 2.
There isn't any in-room fridge which I found it a bit strange.
and for singles I don't recommend to walk from the back entrance towards chinatown... seems a bit dark.
The bed was well.... its 'well-used'. some creaking sounds (not that I'm fat) but not as comfy as I'd experience elsewhere.

Good Option for City Centre Stay

by TripAdvisor Member screen101

Stayed one night at the hotel which we chose based on the reviews here and its location near to the theatres and all in all were not disappointed.
The room whilst basic were was clean and the bathroom and toilet whilst a little worn were also clean. The separate toilet is small though. The room faced the courtyard entrance and was very quiet.
Breakfast was buffet style with a variety of cereals, fruit, breads and hot items and was pretty good and was frequently replenished. We did not try the evening meals as they looked expensive and there is a vast choice nearby.
The reception staff the very friendly and helpful and attended to any requests promptly.

Clean, good location with parking near by

by TripAdvisor Member redshep

The hotel is ok, nothing out of the orginary. The room was clean with all the facilities you would want. It was good for driving in as there is a carpark next to it which is very secure. We went to an event at the Picadilly Jarvis which was a complete wrek of a hotel. I didn't stay there due to tripadvisor.com!

Convenient position

by TripAdvisor Member lindale

Convenient location in central Manchester, with train station a short 15minute walk away. The hotel is situated on the edge of Manchester’s China Town and Gay Village. Typical modern Novotel minimalist room (or should that be basic?)

I had an upgraded room - but apart from a new lick of paint, I could not really see any benefit from the extra cost, with an array of rubbish from previous occupants under furniture.

The room had a separate small toilet. The bathroom appears stylish, but personally I find nothing appealing about a plastic moulded sink & unit akin to the sort of things you find in a public toilet or train.

The gym had a panoramic view over the city; there is a very small steam room & sauna

The breakfast was an additional £12.50 , which seemed a lot considering the cost of the room– I made use of Wetherspoons around the corner where a full cooked breakfast was £1.99, even though I was on expenses. Staff seemed friendly.

No reason not to stay here – but I doubt I will.

Manchester itself was very lively and cosmopolitan – even on a Sunday night.

Could do better

by TripAdvisor Member donaloge

I endorse most of what the other reviews say. I stayed 3 nights. The first 2 nights breakfast was optional but on the third it was included in the price regardless of whether you breakfasted in the hotel restaurant or elsewhere. The bed was uncomfortable. And like another reviewer earlier in the year I had to leave my room when the fire alarm was set off, just before 11 at night. Again staff did not evacuate the building or inspire much confidence in the way they managed the incident.

Great find!! Would defo use again!!

by TripAdvisor Member Ollie1979

Drove straight in to the car park that's situated practically underneath the hotel... Its the most secure car park i've ever seen!!!! For those that are familiar with Jack Bauer's "24", this car park is straight out of it!!!! (Bit pricey mind, at £16 overnight, but it's not belonging to Novotel).
We arrived at about 11am, 3 hours before official check in, and we were greeted by a really amicable receptionist, who said it was absolutely no problem that we check in early, despite it being a saturday!
The room was large, on the 4th floor, and had a massive, really comfy bed and a large sofa, Several TV channels, an Iron and a safe.
The en-suite bathroom was clean, and spacious, and had a large double bath, and powerful shower.
We thought the breakfast was a bit pricey (£12.50 each) so we skipped it, and ate elsewhere.... However, after arriving at the hotel after a night out, we drank at the bar (reasonably priced) and had possibly the BEST Club sandwich in the world... (only £6.95) The food there is excellent and the menu varied...
Will stay there every time we go to Manchester in future... We only paid £69 through a website.
EXCELLENT.

Good but pricey

by TripAdvisor Member nearywaldron

The hotel is very central, with Chinatown nearby. Reception staff were helpful and friendly, and I had a good sized room. The bed was extremely comfortable and the facilities ok.

There is wi-fi, but it isn't free, surprisingly considering the cost (£169 per night for a double room) and the mainly business clientele. The public areas are very pleasant.

It's standard for a Novotel, but more expensive than I would expect for the chain (I was there on business, and thankfully, wasn't paying the bill myself).

In summary good, but considering what you get for the money this is a rather expensive choice for central Manchester .

Comments