Palace Hotel (Oxford Street.)

Oxford Street, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M6O 7HA, United Kingdom

The Palace Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 21% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

4* Hotel - but is it really worth that number?

As this was the venue of the conference I had helped organise - I decided to stay here too. As noted on the main page I had high hopes; sadly they were not met!

My negatives - poor signage, beds fixed to wall and wall next to plant room which operates the air conditioing and sadly I had no a/c in my room. Lots of plant noise, room hot and not enetirely comfortable.

I had no lunch on either of the two days I stayed there! The conference lunch menu was poor.

Unique Quality: I was advised that 75% of room do not have air conditioing - and windows which do not open. there were few mini bars in the rooms and sadly it was not entirely clean.

Good looking and friendly staff!

they do not appear to have a telephone number unless you go through directory enquiries; however i have attached the reservations number which i found eventually on another web site.

Directions: close to Oxford Road rail station

• JamalMorelli's Profile Photo

Her Majesty, the Lobby

Puts you right in the thick of the city while just far enough away to give you a rest from the mob. Restful - spent little time inside as it was one of my first trip to MANCHESTER and I was out alot. The rooms were surprisingly modern and spare compared to the royally opulent lobby.

Unique Quality: The lobby makes you feel like you should pitch a tent there so you can wake up feeling regally weird.

More about Palace Hotel (Oxford Street.)

Past it's prime, not worth the $$$ or 4 stars

I was really unimpressed by my one night stay at the Palace Hotel. The building is past it's prime and the rooms are pretty shabby.

We reserved a double room and received one facing out on Oxford Street. The room had very high ceilings and enormous windows. Alas, the room was sweltering from sitting in the sun and the windows would not open. Without a/c we thought we would swelter, however the hotel staff provided us with a fan that worked on both the heat but also the street noise which was loud until 3-4 in the morning.

I thought the hotel would be more pleasant than it was. It was just nondescript, truly not more than an American Best Western (albeit with high ceilings) and an impressive lobby. The 15 pound breakfast was just not worth that much money, so we ate away from the hotel.

I expected more for all the stars and talk of luxury. Nothing exciting or luxurious about this hotel at all.

I expect it must get alot of business due to the convention hall located right by, because I'm not sure any tourist should ever consider this hotel.

I wish I could say better things, but I can't. It just wasn't worth the money and I would never stay there again.

How disappointing

The Palace promised so much especially the grandeur of the reception area and the presence of the building ...but how we were deceived. The first room had broken tiles in the bathroom and looked as though it had not been updated since the 1970s. On complaining we were moved to a better room but here again the finishes were tired - except the bathroom. I fortuantely missed breakfast, but my partner suffered and then had the indignity to pay £15 for the pleasure!!! The hotel has huge potential but requires serious investment. The staff act as though they don't really care and I would suggest that the management doesn't! Shame really.

Palace has always been good to me

Well, I have stayed at The Palace on 5 or 6 different occasions over the last 5 years and it has always been good to me. It is a complete rabbit-warren of a hotel and there are some fantastic bits (magnificent architecture, original tiles, features, even an obscure room off an anonymous corridor full of antique safes!) and some dingy bits true enough. I have stayed in very varied styles of rooms; the smallest being on the very top floor facing Oxford Road, which was both clean and modern, the bathroom was well stocked and the jacuzzi even worked in the bath. The noise from Oxford Road wasn't a problem cos we were so high up, and with a bit of athletic climbing we got out onto the outside building! Not actually a guest balcony you understand, just an architectural thing on the outside but it was an amazing view of the city from out there.... couldn't resist! Have stayed in a posh split level suite which faced onto the inner courtyard and was a bit of a dull view somehow. Posh and rather special, with an enormous bed and a sitting room area with all the trimmings. That visit saw us mainly stay in, enjoy the suite and watch cable tv so it was a different vibe from other visits. The 'worst' room was an average-ish sized Oxford Road facing room on maybe the 1st or 2nd floor. It had LARGE windows with secondary glazing which I s'pose was to attempt to keep out late night noise. But it just looked hideous and wasn't very effective at soundproofing the room. We didn't care cos we goto The Palace for the vibe of being right at the heart of Oxford Road and the bustle and bars in walking distance. Noise is ambient really.
One thing about The Palace is the excellent buffet breakfasts; a real treat. Hot full english and continental spreads of fruit, pastries, cereals, all to help yourself from. Plus the staff are very quiet and attentive with the tea, coffee and toast; the whole breakfast being a bit of a hushed experience actually, especially if you contrast it with the night before :-)
Love treating ourselves to a weekend at the Palace. Give it a go and if they put you in an older room that isn't up to scratch then just go and see them and get moved. We have never had a problem in getting upgraded or moved or whatever. Just try to get over the English embarrassment factor of facing any complaints head on and in a firm but fair way. I think you will get a favourable response from the staff here, they've been sound with us. I say give it a go, there are many lovely aspects to staying here.

Stayed at the Palce and had a lovely meal in their restaurant!

I stayed at the Palace Hotel recently and had a wonderful time! We planned on going into Manchester but decided to dine in the restaurant since we are members of Urban Tag which meant we could claim a complimentary bottle of house wine! We also got a great deal on the room rate - a complimentary upgrade!
The food was fantastic and the service was first class so we ended up chilling in the Hotel all evening.
I would recommend anyone to stay at the Palace especially if you like fantastic listed buildings - you will be in awe!

Not always as expected!

by TripAdvisor Member tksnooks

We stayed here a few years ago and had a great time - really impressed with the grandeur of the Palace lobby and stairs etc!

However, friends of ours stayed last year and did not have a great time at all.

Undaunted, we booked to stay again this May, but on arrival we were passed from receptionist to receptionist and finally to Manager as there was some kind of problem. We were left waiting an hour or so. Eventually, it transpires that the hotel had seriously overbooked rooms and despite our having booked months in advance (with Lastminute) we were having to be moved to another hotel.

We had to share a cab with another couple and luckilly were transported to the brilliant Victoria & Albert Hotel - which was a stroke of luck - it was great there!

We were inconvenienced though as we had already booked our car into the car park down the road from the Palace (and a long walk away) and so our car wasn't reachable for the whole weekend and we were no-where near the city center (we we had planned on eating etc).

After years of hotel booking from Australia to UK, this has never happened to us and it has certainly changed our minds about where to stay in Manchetser in future!!

Someday I'm coming back

My expectations were already exceeded when I made my reservation - the gentleman I spoke to was so polite and helpful, as were the other members of the hotel team I came into contact with.
The reception area is breathtaking. A wonderful feature. I found the hotels traditional style incredibly charismatic, which is something The Palace's more modern competitors in the city sadly lack.
A treat. 10 out of 10.

Hated it

I'd always wanted to visit the Palace. We only live 35 miles away but it's sometimes easier to stay in Manchester for a night out and as we had to stay for the weekend we wanted somewhere decent.
From the outside and in the reception and from it's 4 stars you are given the impression that it's going to be a very good experience. How wrong we were.
Check in is listed as 2pm. I arrived on time to be told that there were no rooms available and I was to come back later. Ok, I was working in the City and it wasn't a problem but you expect to get in a room when you've booked it weeks in advance. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and came back at 7pm.
To say the room was shabby is an understatement. It felt like it hadn't been updated since Edwardian times. After an eternal trek through the dining room, into a lift and down a very long corridor I got into the room and was very disappointed by the fixtures and fittings. Don't get me wrong, the room was huge but the room was on the second floor opposite the Palace theatre. No airconditioning and this was summer in the city. The room was stiflingly hot. Windows wouldn't open because the curtains were in the way (I eventually almost pulled them off the wall to get the window open). The curtains were dirty and ripped.
There was mould on the bathroom tiles and the sealant had come away from the bath. There were massive gaps along the side. I'd have hated to be the next guest in the room with all the water that went down the side of the bath. The extractor fan was covered in dust and didn't appear to have ever been cleaned.
The only upside of the hotel is the buffet breakfast which was included in the room rate (booked through Expedia as the hotel itself doesn't offer breakfast in the price) with as much to eat as you like.
I understand that rooms are in the process of being upgraded.
We need to go to Manchester again this August and I called again to see if the rooms were any better, telling the staff that I found it shabby. Apparently the renovated rooms are called Ambassador rooms and cost a lot more. I've booked elsewhere.
If there is no where else to stay in Manchester, come here. If there's anything else available I'd stay well clear of it.

a pleasant and interesting experience

my wife and I spent a weekend in manchester in early August 2004, shopping and theatre, and spent two nights at the Palace Hotel. It was like going back in time once we entered the main entrance and reception area, in terms of the most beautiful architecture we've seen in recent years in any u.k. hotel. Our first contact with the hotel staff was the Concierge, a warm welcome extended here, followed by extremely helpful reception staff. Our room was clean and extremely comfortable and well furnished. We ate in the delightful restaurant on both evenings, no complaints whatever about the quality of food and service. Breakfast each morning was equally good and got the day off to a great start. Without question, we shall stay here again.

Comments