Place Apartment Hotel Manchester

Ducie Street, Piccadilly, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M1 2TP, United Kingdom

The Place Aparthotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 64% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• deptlads's Profile Photo

The Place Hotel - Great if you like space!

The Place Hotel - originally the 'The London Warehouse', built in the 19th century and used to store cloth - has now been converted into a stunning apartment hotel.

The smaller, cheaper apartments have windows looking outside and onto the atrium. The larger deluxe apartments are on the corners of the building with windows looking outwards in two directions. These are proper two double bedroom apartments with two bathrooms, full kitchen and a large living/dining area. This apartment was bigger than our flat!

The decor is typical loft conversion style, with lots of exposed brickwork, natural finishes and modern furnishings. The kitchen has a proper cooker (hobs and an oven), microwave, kettle, dishwasher, and most of the things you might need. The beds are a decent size and very comfortable. The living area is very spacious, and has two sofas, desk, large TV with satellite and DVD, radio and CD player. There is also a decent sized dining table for four people.

For four guys spending a weekend in Manchester, the price of less than £50 each for a 2 bedroom apartment seemed like a good deal to us. And we were impressed! You get so much more than you would for a standard double room at the same price. And you can save money by cooking for yourself and avoiding restaurant bills. We had a very nice dinner with food and wine from Marks & Spencer for well under £10 each.

Unique Quality: Very close to Piccadilly Station.

Stylish loft-style living.

Great value for money if you're sharing.

Directions: From Piccadilly Station, walk down the station approach road and take the first right (Ducie Street. The hotel is just up the street on the right, just past the station car park.

More about Place Apartment Hotel Manchester

Absolutely Fantastic

After reading the reviews I was a little tentative when my partner told me that he'd booked us a weekend at The Place Hotel. However I'm glad that we went as we had an absolutely fantastic time. We were given a free upgrade so that we had a huge deluxe apartment with fantastic views of the city. The apartment was clean and had everything you'd need and although we were missing a few bits, the reception staff arranged for them to be brought up and within 15 minutes. I would not hesitate to recommend the place to a friend and I certainly would stay again as it's location is ideal and having an apartment for the same price as a hotel room, well I've certainly been converted.

Bad trip

My first trip to The Place went smoothly - the apartment was nice, the service was friendly and they left me to get on with it.

The next time I went, the apartment they gave me was dirty and smelly, had a broken toilet, the wooden floor was all scratched up, the bed had no pillows... I wasn't happy at all. I asked to be moved and I was, but the next apartment was also dirty and had hardly any furniture at all.

I had also agreed that I could check out late (6pm), but when I came to check out at 6pm, there was nobody on reception and it took 10 minutes to find someone. I was on my way to the airport, so it wasn't good. The receptionist then tried to charge me an extra night because I was checking out late - even though it had previously been agreed for free. When I disputed it, I think she delibrately strung things out because she knew I was late for the airport and would probably cave in.

So in summary, the first stay was excellent. The second, awful. I probably won't risk a third.

Fantastic hotel

I stayed here with my friend for the weekend two weeks ago. We had a two bedroom deluxe apartment and it was absolutely fantastic - just like the photos. I was allowed to check in early, parking was included, the apartment was very clean, had everything we needed and I could not fault it at all. Location was great for going out in Manchester - both shopping and restaurants/bars/clubs. Highly recommended.

Spacious but flawed

by TripAdvisor Member bradgirl

This place (no pun intended) is certainly different from the norm. It's not anything like a hotel, it is just like having your own spacious apartment in the centre of Manchester. We had a 2 bedroom apartment, which came with large lounge, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and fully equipped kitchen (although there were only 2 bowls which meant having breakfast in shifts!). First impressions were great as we walked through the door of the apartment, very large rooms, fully furnished and a bathroom for each bedroom. However, looking more closely, the finish was actually quite poor and the level of cleanliness could have been better - my feet were filthy after walking from the bedroom to the lounge without my shoes on! Also the furniture was functional but not particularly special (and I was surprised at the lack of a large double bed - no king sizes here!).
The main negative with the apartment was that at night there was a lot of noise from people returning late at night, especially as one room looked out onto the large echoey corridor. This also gave the feeling that the apartment wasn't particularly private - it made one of our party feel like they were in an episode of "Bad Girls" with all the apartments looking out onto the "block"!
But it was v. close to the city centre (and the village if you're interested), there was underground parking available onsite (at a small additional cost) and it was somewhere different to go to! All in all, I would recommend the hotel for the novelty factor (if you can afford it!) but we won't be in a hurry to return...

Arrived from Liverpool at Piccadily station and was surprised at how close the apart-hotel was and how near it was to the centre of Manchester. Reception staff very accommodating and attentive. Did not have any towels in room when we first arrived and waited almost an hour to receive them, but maid was very apologetic. Apartment had everything we needed. Extremely spacious bedroom and living area. Old brickwork of the building being preserved is a nice touch and creates a warm feel to the rooms. Will definitely stay here again and will definitely be recommending to friends.

Different and cool

I stayed at the hotel on a Friday night with my girlfriend. It has a great location close to the station, trams etc and is easy walking distance from all the attractions in the city centre. It also has its own secure carpark which is very handy.

The staff were all very good and the room was excellent, very spacious, clean and stylish and fully equipped with kitchen facilities. It makes a nice change to stay in an old historic building which has been so well adapted.

This is a great hotel and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Good central location...

by TripAdvisor Member ebabe69

I stayed here for one night, with one of my children, in June 2005 in a one bed apartment.

Firstly the location is perfect as you can walk from Piccadilly Station (with frequent and direct connections from the airport) to all the attractions of the city ie SHOPS!! Manchester is a shopper's paradise. We were also able to walk to the City of Manchester Stadium - takes about 20 mins or so. Various local buses and trams nearby too. Some interesting museums and galleries also in walking distance.

We were able to check-in early and we popped back to the M&S and Sainsbury's (which are located in Piccadilly Station) to get a few supplies for the kitchen. Kitchen had pretty much everything one would need, including a dishwasher, and there was a washing machine in the cupboard in the hallway. I can confirm that it tends to be 'two of everything' so if you are a party of three or four ask for more cups and plates etc.

The only drawback, for me, was the lack of 'natural light' in the main living areas which look out onto the enclosed, indoor, atrium and fountain. This also makes one feel a little like being in a fish bowl - watching other people coming and going (the windows are very large in the rooms that look out onto this atrium) or them watching you have breakfast! Some of the two-bed apartments would appear to have the open-plan sitting room/kitchen and one bedroom also looking out onto the atrium. Looking at photos, to avoid this, you would need to book a 'deluxe' apartment I think.

The Place is a great location and value for a visit to Manchester if you're mainly going to be out and about. The 'gloom' would bother me in the long term. I've booked again for July and I'm paying 119 GBP per night for a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment which is very favourable compared to a regular hotel.

Really nice apartments...interesting views!!!

Stayed here on a Saturday night with my boyfriend and another couple. The apartments are lovely. Only a short walk from the town centre, although a taxi ride away from the main bars. Didn't eat here as thought the food was a little over-priced but have heard it's very nice. The apartment was really clean and tidy, everything was in working order and the bathrooms are really good. Service is friendly and efficient. Our apartment (406) was spot on, although the view that we had was...different! Basically, the apartments on that side look out onto a renowned gay pick-up joint by the canal. From about 11:30pm onwards these guys put on a very, um, entertaining show for all to see so I would suggest to anyone lacking a very open mind to shut the curtains and leave them until the morning!!! All in all these apartments are fab, they're incredibly spacious and modern, yet have a very relaxed and homely feel. I would definately reccomend them to anyone and will be staying here again (possibly with my camcorder - I hear there's quite a demand for those kind of videos...!).

Great value and location

by TripAdvisor Member ManxQueenies

Stayed Saturday night in a 2-bed apartment.

Very impressed with the facilities - as other reviews have said, everything you need is here and for the price of a room in a hotel. Very well laid out, though a bit odd at first as the lounge and 1 of the bedrooms overlooks the central atrium with the corridors immediately outside. The fixtures were not of best quality - but I guess they have been bought cheap to replace regularly.

Nice touch was that there was dishwasher tablets, tea bags and fresh milk, good toiletories.

Reception very good - room was available early and no problem in giving a late check out - much appreciated as we were on an afternoon flight out of MAN that day.

Only whinge (and a mild one) was that the rooms were too warm, even with the door open and windows jammed open as far as possible it was hard to get a comfortable temperature.

Finally - worth shopping around for a good price. I'd initially booked at about 190/night - but eventually got for 119 pounds through lastminute - fantastic for 2 bedrooms - but cheaper than their own web site.

Comments