72 Dale Street, Manchester, M1 2HR

Booking.com Priceline.com PremierInn.com

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Friendly Secure and good location

This Premier Inn was ideal for our weekend in Manchester, for our annual VT Christmas Markets meet. We've found that hotels are quite busy (and expensive) at this time, so we'd booked in plenty of time, and paid up front, which meant that 2 nights cost £40 pp for a twin bedded room - breakfast (Continental or Full English) was extra.

Opened in 2012, this hotel was in an ideal location - a short walk from Piccadilly train station and a 10 minute or so walk to Albert Square.

The lasting impression that I have of my stay here was how friendly the staff were. From the reception staff at check in, to various staff that I encountered while waiting for the lifts etc. Every time I met any of the staff they said hello, and usually had a few words - often enquiring if everything was OK. Not in a ' robotic Corporate -Have A Nice Day way' - they certainly had great customer service skills.

During check in, as well as your room card key (We were given 2, which was quite convenient) you are given the number of reception to call if you need anything.
    The hotel was very secure, You needed the key card to get to the lift lobby, and then to access your floor.
    We were also given passwords etc for the free WIFI, that Gilly had arranged when booking.

Our room was on the 4th floor, and was quite comfortable. We'd booked a twin bedded room. There was a double and a single bed, with an extra roll out bed. The roll out, would have made the room quite cramped I should imagine. Pillows were of the soft or firm variety - part of Premier Inns Good Nights sleep guarantee.

The room was quite warm - on wall temperature control/fan allows you to adjust the temperature. The windows open too!

Storeage space/ hangers were adequate for our weekend stay. TV and kettle with tea and coffee added to the comfort - though I did ask the restaurant staff if I could take some sugar sachets for the next day - No problem!
    Hairdryer and illuminated mirror, plus a full length mirror.
    Writing desk and chair.

The bathroom was spotlessly clean and contained a bath with overhead shower, WC, wash basin. Towels were provided as well as loo rolls.
    Shower gel/ shampoo and liquid soap from wall mounted dispensers.

Our room overlooked Piccadilly Basin and the car park, which hotel customers can use. I think this was a Pay and Display.

We didn't bother booking breakfast, as we would be eating at the Christmas markets, and the following day, I'd promised myself breakfast/ brunch at Carluccios in Piccadilly Train Station, before returning home.

We did visit the bar both nights for a night cap. The only quibble here was that both nights there was just one member of staff serving, so people were having to wait quite a while to be served. The bar area was quite comfy, with different seating types and areas.

A few other VTers were staying at this hotel, including a couple who were on the top floor (11th) whose room had floor to ceiling windows - not good for those with vertigo or fear of heights!

I'd certainly stay here again, and would recommend it to others, who wanted a comfortable reasonably priced base, that was near to the train station.

Unique Quality: Friendly, helpful staff

Good location

Reasonable price for a base to explore the city.

Directions: 5 minutes walk from Piccadilly Train Station
    Northern Quarter of Manchester

See website below for map

• leics's Profile Photo

Ultra-convenient location....

The Premier Inn chain offer decent, clean, mid-range accommodation in the UK and they've never let me down. This new-build hotel is just a few minutes' walk from Manchester Piccadilly railway station and less than 5 minutes' from Piccadilly itself (for trams, Primark and shopping) and from the Arndale shopping centre. It's an excellent location. The hotel stands on Dale Street, a road with little traffic, and it seemed to me a pretty quiet area (and safe enough to walk around after dark as a solo female).

The Piccadilly canal basin is directly opposite, along with a large car park (not the hotel's own, and you'll have to pay). There are several locks and you can, in theory, walk a long walk along the towpaths in either direction. I did a little walking, but not as much as I'd have liked.

All the hotel staff were exceptionally friendly, pleasant and courteous. My room was sparklingly clean, with a bathtub as well as a (good) shower, a comfortable bed and a choice of pillows (Premier Inn has a 'good night's sleep' guarantee). Tea and coffee making facilities are provided, heating is easily controllable and the windows open.

I particularly liked the way there were signs everywhere reminding guests to be quiet when they were in the bedroom areas...and that the doors are heavy enough to close *slowly* (thus very difficult to slam them). The hotel is security-conscious too, with stair and lift area accessed by room key, and access to the bedroom area on each floor also requiring a room key.

Wifi is only free for the first 30 minutes per day, but at least you get some free wifi...that is an improvement.

I chose to have breakfast in the hotel (additional cost unless you get a deal). I chose the continental option on one day and the full English on the other. There's not a lot of difference, to be honest: the 'continental' just means you don't get hot food. But there was a good range of cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, seeds etc etc, brown or white toast, croissants,crumpets and 'mini-muffins' so I didn't go hungry. The 'full English' offered scrambled and fried eggs (boiled and poached on request), mushrooms, beans, bacon, sausage, hash browns as well as the 'continental' food. You can eat as much as you like, so it's not bad value.

Coffee comes from a machine, but it's Costa coffee so it's very drinkable. There's range of tea and teas on offer as well, and fruit juices.

There is a bar, and restaurant available for evening food, although I didn't eat there.

All in all, this is an excellent mid-range hotel in a superb location. Well worth the money, imo.

Directions: From Piccadilly station, go down the station access route, turn first right and then first left. It won't take you more than 3 minutes.

Comments