Renaissance Manchester

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Renaissance Manchester

Friendly staff, great service

by TripAdvisor Member Mr_&_Mrs_Smith4real

We have just spent a couple of nights at the Renaissance Manchester. The front desk staff took time to talk to you on check in and after discovering it was a family members birthday they sent a complimentary bottle of wine and chocolates to the room - nice touch. The rooms both standard and club class were very spacious and comfortable, the breakfasts are buffet with plenty of choice. All of the staff were friendly and courteous and could not do enough to please. The location is excellent right in the middle of the city within easy reach of all of the shops, bars and restaurants. We did not dine in the hotel restaurant in the evening as there are so many places to choose from within minutes of the hotel. Would definately return and recommend to anyone.

Just ok

Our first impressions weren't particularly great. We parked in the underground hotel car park but to get into it your need to get a card from reception which leaves your car in a congested taxi rank outside as there is no drive-up unloading area.

We stayed in a club room on the top floor but the first room's bathroom was flooded by a leaking ceiling - so we promptly moved to another room.

The rooms are very spacious but the decor is quite dated and could do with being refurbished.

We also ordered from the late night room service menu, which took 1 hour to arrive. As it took over 45 minutes the hotel policy is that the order is free of charge - although we had to inform the waiter of this when he asked for my signature! It was a good job that the food was free because it tasted like it had been cooked and then left somewhere for an hour before being brought to the room - disappointing.

On the plus side, the hotel has a great city centre location, easily within walking distance of the main shopping areas, restaurants and bars.

I would say this hotel is ok if all you want is a bed to sleep in. Probably more suited to business users.

We stayed here in June 2006 on the weekend of the Take That concerts and so many of our prior choice hotels were booked. We would probably look elsewhere next time.

above average for the price

by TripAdvisor Member frizzbee30

Stayed at this hotel a couple of times, always booked through superbrakes. Watch the car park! Ample space but popular with stereo thieves!! Not secure so park near the cctv. The lobby is very small and the restaraunt very basic and a little spartan. However the fodd (breakfasts) are always excellent! The staff are very nice on the whole and airlines seem to like this one for cabin crews. Rooms are very large and consider the price overly so! Views great, rooms clean, very good (basic) facilites with room controlled A/C TAKE NOTE HILTON!!) Hotel facilites are unfortunately non existant. Lobby, restaraunt, parking and rooms...thats it!

Huge Rooms, Great Service

by TripAdvisor Member unspecified

This is an excellent hotel, well located in the centre of Manchester.

Don't be put off by the ugly outside of it, it's beautiful on the inside. This hotel featured the largest room I've ever had in a hotel - complete with desk, table, sofas - enough to set up a small office!

Good breakfasts, good, friendly service from the staff.

My main complaint is that there are no publically accessible staircases, you HAVE to take the lift, even between two floors. Very irritating. But aside from that, very good indeed.

overall very good!

by TripAdvisor Member Emileena

Lovely spacious rooms, there were two adults and two children in our room. Very clean bathroom. Breakfast was excellent and all staff were extremely courteous.
The hotel would benefit from a staircase as you had to use the lift all the time.
Ideal if you are attending an event at the M.E.N as we walked from the hotel.

Mostly ok but a couple of issues

by TripAdvisor Member Alun4475

My wife and I stayed at this hotel - as many people seem to - to see a concert in the MEN. First impressions were really good and the check-in was easy. We liked the look of the hotel and it seemed very clean and tidy, and the staff were all friendly.

Our room was a bit weird though. We had requested a King bed room and we had one, but were surprised to find the bed in a corner of the room, right next to the bathroom. When I say 'right next to', I mean that you could stick your leg out of the bed and into the bathroom! This was compounded by the odd TV cabinet, positioned at right angles to the bed and also the settee, making it largely invisible. The room was also bitterly cold, despite us having the aircon on full blast blowing out (supposedly) warm air.

These things aside, the food in the restaurant was excellent and the service from all staff whom we encountered was exceptional. Overall, a brilliantly located hotel for the shops and the MEN, but my advice would be to get a club room. One other thing, beware of taking the term 'Deluxe' too literally, because this is what they call 'standard' rooms.

Very Good - no complaints

by TripAdvisor Member Jacquio

Pros - Very clean, decent sized rooms, nice brekkie, very polite staff, comes with all the comforts one expects from the Marriott.

Cons - Heat took a while to come on. Dinner was a set menu and quite average. House wine also not the best!

Avoid room 613!

by TripAdvisor Member Gatorfan11

After staying at the comfy yet remote Airport Marriott in south Manchester it was decided we should move downtown to be closer to some co-workers staying at The Midland. Since no rooms were available at the Victoria & Albert we got reservations at the Renaissance.

We arrived quite late due to work and experienced no issue with check-in and the staff was quite helpful and friendly. Parking is a pain and the NCP garage behind the hotel is not the place to park though you can't get into the hotel garage without parking in the small taxi rank area and going inside first.

I enquired if I had gotten my Platinum upgrade and was informed that they were full that night and they would be able to move me to a Club Room the next day which was fine by me. I took my bags and rode the elevator up to the sixth floor.

While the hallway appeared dated and in need of renovation it wasn't anything horrible though no where near what I have come to expect from Renaissance hotels. I opened up room 613 and was hit by the worst smell of mildew that I could imagine. Try leaving your laundry in the washing machine for a week and come back to it and the mildewy smell still won't compare to this room.

It was late, the last room, and I was tired plus I had priorities in watching the Florida football game online so I settled in for the night. Once I turned the air conditioning on the smell subsided but was still very strong. The bed was rock had and the pillows were thin but I did my best to get some sleep.

The next day they called me and said they could move me up to the Club Floor and I was eager to go. Online they say that Club rooms have upgraded ammenities but the only thing I found different was a second semi-fancy shower curtain while everything remained the same including the mildew smell. While not nearly as bad as the other room it was still quite bad.

I checked out the next morning and was able to get a room over at the Marriott Victoria & Albert which is world's apart from the Renaissance. While the staff at the Renaissance was great and more than helpful I couldn't stay there any longer. Seeing as the second room had the same smell I figured it was pointless to try and move to a third room therefore the total move. I did not discuss the smell with them at the time but have filled out the survey form and will send it off in the mail.

Brilliant staff and location

by TripAdvisor Member briongloid

Excellent hotel. I stayed here with my mother and aunt on a Christmas shopping trip and the location is second to none for this purpose. The staff in the hotel were the friendliest I have ever meant and went way above the call of duty to help us. I thought they were brilliant. The room was also top notch with two double beds for the ladies and roll out sofa bed for myself. All of this for a very affordable price. The breakfasts were excellent if a little expensive and Manchester itself is a brilliant spot for shopping with an especially nice atmosphere at Christmas due to all of the Christmas markets. I will definitely return to this hotel. I highly recommend it.

A Very Pleasant Surprise -- Right in the City of Manchester

by TripAdvisor Member Craig_Walsh

I had some Marriott "points" and my wife and I had the mundane task of spending the night in Manchester while our car was being serviced. I picked the Renaissance because the website said it was a short walk to Selfridge's and Harvey Nichols.

It was too late to make my booking (using "points") via the Marriott website, so I picked up the phone and called. The agent could not have been more helpful. She was friendly and efficient, and the automated e-mail messages that arrived moments later were informative --- best I've seen.

When we got to the hotel it looked like Stalin had constructed it for party apparachiks (please see the photograph). But the location was fantastic, so we thought, "Heck, it's only one night."

The front desk receptionist was great. The bellman who took us to our room was helpful, and gave us the potted history of Manchester. The room was surprisingly large: it had a sitting area and a King sized bed. The view was even decent.

Room service was fast. The room was clean. The layout was a bit 1970's, and the bathroom wasn't "elegant." But it was spacious --- a rare commodity in UK hotel rooms.

The only complaint I have is that the bed was hard, and the pillows were small and cheesy. But I am a bit of a spoiled child when it comes to luxurious beds.

We had a very nice stay here, and will go back the next time we need to spend a night in Manchester.

Comments