Thistle Manchester

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

3-5 Portland Street, Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M1 6DP, United Kingdom
Thistle Manchester City Centre, The Portland
Agoda.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Thistle Manchester

Thistle Manchester is OK

by TripAdvisor Member CiaoMilano

We too were reluctant to stay at Thistle Manchester because we had just survived the 'dreaded Level 5' at Thistle Tower Bridge the week before and were still smarting from the blatant rip-off and mistreatment.

Thistle Manchester may have a floor equivalent to the 'dreaded level 5' but we did not see it nor did we see any unhappy guests arguing with staff or long queues of guests seeking attention (unlike at Thistle Tower Bridge).

The reception area of Thistle Manchester is indeed a bit shabby but the dining area, ground floor toilets etc etc were beautifully clean and in good condition. Equally could be said about the hallways to rooms - the ceilings seemed a bit run down and the doors - but the cleaners really do a great job in making it all presentable.

The room we were given (on the 6th floor) was indeed small but it was pleasantly decorated and again beautifully clean. The bed had a lovely white fresh looking duvet on it which made the room look very welcoming.

We did hear the occasional noise during the night from outside but what do you expect from such a beautifully central hotel.

We found all the staff very courteous and attentive. In fact they should be flown down urgently to Thistle Tower Bridge to sort out the mess and show them how it's done.

The dining room staff were particularly excellent. The food (both breakfast and dinner) was lovely and the menu diverse enough to satisfy all apetites.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and after being ripped off so badly by Thistle Tower Bridge could find nothing really to whinge about price-wise.

We would stay at Thistle Manchester again.

So glad i stayed

by TripAdvisor Member hevhere

Having booked this hotel before reading the reviews on tripadvisor it was with a feeling of dread i checked into the hotel last saturday morning.
Prior to going i had seriously considered cancelling and trying to find somewhere else,but i had got such a good rate i decided to take my chances.I am so glad i did.
I can honestly say i could find no major faults{and i travel a lot and would be very fussy}
Granted there is a lot of renovation work still taking place,the leisure suite was closed and new carpet is being put down in the lobby today,but i was impressed with the work which had already been completed.
My room ,altough small had every thing you could need.Altough i had booked a single i got a double bed with soft duvet and loads of pillows.
The room was spotless and the maid both cleaned and replenished toliteries etc every day.
The breakfast was great and the location could not be beaten{well,maybe the reinaissance,but if i could afford that i wouldnt be staying at a thistle,would i ?}
I appreciate that others had not have had the experience i did ,but i can only report my findings,
I would certainly stay at the Manchester Thistle again.For the rate i paid it was excellent value.

not great at all

I stayed on business for 3 nights and was hugely disappointed. My room felt dirty and there were cracks and stains in the ceiling and the shower/bath generally had a yellow tinge to it. The hotel felt old and tired to me. That said, the Portland Restaurant was nice and I found the staff in there lovely and friendly unlike the staff on hotel reception. I wouldn't recommend it or want to go back again even if it is on business and not my money.

Stuffy, air-less, hot, sticky.

by TripAdvisor Member Sheepdogcatfish

The room I was given was alright, but the view was over the hotel air conditioning/ventilation system.
The problem was that on the 7th floor the rooms were stifingly hot. I reckon the room must have been 100 degrees, with windows full open, on a chilly October night. No air conditioning made this one hot, sticky, and unpleasant stay. I noticed all the other windows I could see of other residents were also full open. A shame, as it spoiled an otherwise acceptable hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member djh&cjh

Arrived, lifts not working naturally we're on the 7th floor. Went out for dinner, came back and requested coffee in the bar, 'sorry coffee machine has been cleaned, so no coffee until tomorrow'. Got up next day, no water for shower, wash etc. That's right no water. Were told that was a problem affecting the whole area, but, they seemed to have water downstairs at breakfast. Wanted to charge us full rate but demanded 50% discount which we got. Public areas good but rooms run down and dirty. Needs full refurb asap. When are supposed 4* hotels going to get real instead of trading on a location? Don't go there.

Don't stay here until it is refurbished

This hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment. Reception was not impressive and immediately smelt of smoke.

Only one person on reception answering phone calls and dealing with guests checking in and out.

Lift was filthy and I had to get a member of staff to show him. He acknowledged it was poor.

Got in room and it the smallest double room I had ever stayed in. Wallpaper was peeling, felt unclean. Bathroom was tiny with mouldy bath sealant. Easily the worst room I have ever seen. The TV's that they have with a greeting message was letting out a static noise. What a welcome!

Went to complain about hotel and room. Got moved to a bigger room. While we were waiting in reception another couple complained about their room and got moved also. On way up to room with a member of staff he said hotel was awaiting refurbishment and suggested that complaints were regular.

Got into new room and although it was a lot bigger it was still poor (TV was again giving out static noises!). Took one look at the mildew on bathroom ceiling and went down to reception to complain. Staff were pleasant (obviously used to complaints) and we checked out without staying the night or paying them anyrhing. Staff offered to book us in at other Manchester hotels. We decided that we would just drive home. I pity any true tourist that would not have this option!

This is not a 4 star hotel and Thistle should be ashamed.

Nasty hotel, avoid!

by TripAdvisor Member carriejane

How this hotel can ever be given a 4 star rating is beyond me. I have stayed at much nicer Travelodges. I was sharing with my friend and we booked a twin room. There were two small single beds with one bedside table between them and about 1 1/2 foot width between the two beds. Good job we're friends! There was one desk area with 1 chair and 1 mirror and if you pulled the chair out, could not get past to the bathroom. There was a hairdryer and a TV and soap in the bathroom. The window (which you had to stand on the bed to see out of or open) looked out onto the aircon units which made noise all night. The room stank of stale smoke and the bedspreads did too. I ended up putting some of my clothes over the pillow to help with the smell. Small wardrobe with not enough room for 2 people's clothes. I got the feeling it was a single room which they'd shoved another bed into. The bathroom was fine, small bath not full size which you do expect in hotels but still a disapointment. The location is central which is a good thing and it is directly in front of the main taxi rank so great for getting cabs back to station etc. Reception staff were nice and very aware that the hotel is run down. They let us keep our bags there while we shopped. We did not do breakfast as it did not look nice, instead went to a nice cafe round the corner.

Only way is to complain!!

We stayed here in February and felt it was so bad that we had to write a letter to them and complain while we were there!!subsequently we were offered a suite "NEXT TIME" we went back there!!Having made it quite clear to the manager that we wouldnt be returning, i forwarded the letter to Thistle Head Office who were so disgusted themselves, they offered me a free suite in the flagship thistle "The Royal Horseguards" in London!well worth complaining if you feel it was that bad!!

Great location, but overpriced and a tiny room

by TripAdvisor Member GemR

My husband and I spent the night at this hotel whilst visiting siblings at university.

The location is fantastic, the staff are very friendly but the room size was tiny and the temperature was hideously hot.

Otherwise a lovely hotel even if a little overpriced.

For one night it's fine but any longer and I would re-think.

stay away!

I booked this room only a few hours in advance from laterooms.com - managed to get a great rate of £54 for single occupancy so i can't complain at this. however, the room was the size of a shed and grubby/dirty/uninviting. i didn't bother complaining because i was staying here after a music gig and thankfully, had drunk far too much wine to worry when i returned to the hotel at night but if you plan on staying here for an enjoyable break - DON'T!!! for this price (even though cheap) i would choose a premier lodge everytime.

Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester, UK.Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester, UK.

Gareth at the French beer stallGareth at the French beer stall

John Rylands LibraryJohn Rylands Library

One of the many Group shots!One of the many Group shots!

Bus station to hotel

by sparkieplug24

Hi will be in Manchester in July and am staying at the Old Trafford lodge which is as suggests on the grounds of the lancashire county cricket club. My question is that we will be coming by coach into the coach station at chorlton street how easy is it to get to this hotel from the bus station? How much would a taxi cost approx? I know that there is a tram stop opposite the hotel could I get a tram from near the coach station to the hotel? do I have to look for a specific tram or do they all go to same place?? I wont have much luggage just a holdal or rucksack but would it be easier just to get a taxi although I am on a bit of a tight budget for this trip.

Also not a big fan of football but would like to do the Manchester united tour possibly as someone who is not a fan would I find this to boring.

Cheers

Donna

by Gillybob

I'm not sure how much a taxi would cost, however, you could board a tram (would have an 'Altrincham' sign on the front to be going in the right direction) at Piccadilly Gardens. If you exit the coach station so that you are stood with it behind you and you on the far right corner, you will see the Britannia Hotel on your right. Cross the road and walk up the block along the side of the Britannia Hotel. At the top of the block, turn right walk along one block, cross a small side road, and then cross the main road you have been walking along (Portland Street) at the pedestrian crossing. The tram stop is immediately on your right as you are looking straight down the bus station. The walk should take no more than 5 minutes. I'm not sure how far from the city centre your hotel would be but your taxi would cost somewhere between £8 and £15 I'm guessing. The tram will cost you no more than £3 in comparison. Remember, you want a tram with an 'Altrincham' sign on the front of it. If you stand on the tram station with your back to Portland Street (where you've just walked along), then you want the stop on the left. There are ticket machines on the tram station where you can purchase a ticket but be sure to have change with you as they don't always take notes or pay out the full change for large notes.

Can't answer the tour question - not a fan and not interested. Have a great time in Manchester.

by briwire

Can't add much more than Gillybob told you except that you can also get to Eccles on the same tram line. Just outside the city centre, the line splits one way to Eccles and the other to Altrincham, so that trams tend to alternate between destinations, so make sure you get one with Altrincham on it. It should be about £1.90 return.

by chipper99

Th tram as previous replies state is quite a good way to go and cheap, but you still have a walk from the tram station to the hotel, even if it is only 5 mins. A taxi from the Chorlton Street area to the hotel would be around £5 to £7 depending on time of day. Loads of taxis driving around that area all day and there is a large taxi rank across the road at Piccadilly train station.

by brightongirl

Go on the Man United tour!! It is an awesome stadium, they take you through the dressing rooms and you walk right up to the pitch and sit in the Manager's seat. It's also quite cheap and a great place to get souvenirs if you have any friends who are into the footie.

Also if you like shopping try to the lowry outlet in Salford Quays which is a 30-minute walk from your hotel or a couple of stops on the tram.

Comments