#54 of 197 hotels in Manchester

Backpacking Budget Travel
See Amenities
MalenaN's Profile Photo

by written on February 26, 2012

I prefer smaller hostels than big ones like the YHA, but as there were not many hostels where I could book a female dorm, and as it is not a party hostel, I booked two nights at YHA.
In the end it became more expencive than I had counted on. According to my booking confirmation I was going to pay £14.65 (February 2012) for Sunday night and £16.65 for Monday night, but when I arrived I had to pay £3 extra per night because I'm not a member, and for that price breakfast is not even included.

There is a breakfast buffet in the morning for £4.95, which I had the first morning as I thought it was good to start the day with a big breakfast when I was going to walk around in the city the whole day.

Internet cost £1 for 15 minutes (which I needed to use), and wi-fi is £5 for 24hours.

After arriving I also ate in the cafeteria as I didn't want to go out and look for another place. A hamburger with French fries was £6.75. In the afternoon the next day I had a large coffee Americano (£1.80) and a chocolate brownie with icecream (£2.95). I was alone in the cafeteria and found a comfortable corner in a sofa, so it was a nice place to sit and rest in.

I had booked a 4 bed female dorm. I didn't say that there was an en suit bathroom, which is something I don't like, as it can be noicy when people in the dorm come in late at night. The bathroom had a noisy fan that stayed on for 10 minutes after the light was turned out, and as the bathroom door couldn't be closed from the outside it was anoying. There were lockers and bedside lamps in the room, which was good.

There is a kitchen for guests to use and there is a game-room and a TV-room.

alfredop's Profile Photo

Obvious cheap option in the best place

by written on May 31, 2006

Located at the heart of everything nice in Manchester and at a few minutes of walking distance from metrolink stations.

Unique Quality: 24 hour access

In the heart of the city

Parking available

Visa, MasterCard, Delta, Solo, JCB and Switch all accepted

Internet Facilities

Family / private rooms available

TV lounge, library, games room with pool table, laundry facilities, secure lockers, payphone, canalside restaurant with table licence, self-catering kitchen, foreign currency exchange, free bed linen

Full English / Vegetarian or Continental breakfast, picnic lunches and 3 course dinner available

Less a hostel, more a basic hotel

by written on February 21, 2004

Unique Quality: Forget your usual hostels with their enormous dorms, squeaky stairs and lock outs. Manchester's YHA hostel is more like a basic hotel with all the amenities at half the price.

There are 30 rooms with 4 beds (and 4 rooms with 6 beds), ideal for small groups and families. All rooms are en-suite (with loo and shower). There is a TV room, games room, self-catering kitchen, laundry and lockers. Reception is open 24 hours, plus you can stash your bikes and luggage. Breakfast and dinner can be eaten on site plus you can request a packed picnic lunch.

A night's stay costs in 2006 GBP20 for adults and GBP15 for under-18s and includes a full cooked breakfast. You must be a YHA member, or the guest of one with a special voucher.

The location is superb, overlooking the handsome Castlefield canal basin. You are next door to the YMCA gym and across the street from the Museum of Science & Industry. The GMEX tram stop is about a 5-minute walk over some bridges and down a cobbled street.

There are many very stylish clubs and restaurants nearby, like Barca, Dukes 92 and all of Deansgate Locks. The superb Knott pub is close by with its affordable food and delicious beer (see my food and nightlife tips).

Directions: Head west down Liverpool Road at its intersection with Deansgate. Past The Ox pub and in front of the Science & Industry Museum you'll see signs for the hostel to your right. The hostel is adjacent to the YMCA and across from the ampitheatre.

Nearby YHA Manchester

• Yha Manchester Hotel Manchester

Address: Potato Wharf, Castlefield, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M3 4NB, United Kingdom

7 Photos of YHA Manchester

• Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking
  • Kitchenette

Manchester Travel Forum

Need advice about Manchester, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Manchester and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Manchester hotel reviews