Dialstone Lane, Stockport, Cheshire, SK2 6AG, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• it all depends how you approach it

If you are paying about £100 for your room - well it probably is a terrible place. If you paid £30 a night, for two with breakfast, as I have just done, then let's judge it accordingly. This is about Travelodge price so compare it with a Travelodge.
    A Travelodge has bigger rooms, a bigger bed and has probably been decorated more recently.
    The Britannia probably has breakfast included, you have access to an evening meal, a bar, a lounge, a large car park and the retro appeal of staying somewhere that seems straight out of the 1980's.
    Like I said - what do you want for £30 a night.

Unique Quality: The place is a complete maze - if you are not in a rush, have fun working out how to get to your poom.
    The lift that looks as if it should be a service lift is in fact for guests. Living history!!

Directions: Not in the town centre

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Somewhere to sleep

This was my first visit to Stockport. The hotel is built along a main busy road, it has a leisure complex with a gym which members can use all week during their stay for £5, the swimming pool is free and is 30 degree's. There's also a steam room which takes your breath away, but you get used to that. Also a spa bath which is stupidly hot and a sauna which would probably sweat your hair off. You can use the lockers in the changing rooms for 10p and you have a key on a elastic band.

The reception is part of the TV lounge, there is a large TV round the corner, but you have to ask the staff to change the channels. The bar opens at six and happy hour is between 6 and 7pm, most of the furniture is leather. The rooms are rather basic with a TV, dressing table, tea and coffee making facilities and wardrobe. The bathroom is OK, althrough the shower curtain gets stuck, there is no window in the bathroom so the steam can't escape unless you leave the door open. No bath mat so I used the only towel that was hanging up in there (thank god I bought my own) else the floor is like an ice rink.

The floor is very creaky so if you are sharing with someone else, forget about trying to be quiet. Also you can also hear the other guests in the other rooms, so earplugs are a must. The stairs are steep so children should be surpervised at all times.

The annoying thing about the rooms is the blasted fire alarm. In a dark room it will flash a red light every minute to show this is working. This is rather annoying when you are about to fall asleep and a red light flashes from the smoke alarm. I know this has to show this is working, but do they need to fix it over the bed?

Breakfast is from 7-9am. There is a choice of cereal's, cooked and fruit. Dinner is at 7pm with three courses: Soup, dinner and a dessert. There are ramps for disabled people and a Victorian type lift to the upper floors.

This is the sort of hotel for business people, not really family orientated like our guest house. Also you can hear planes passing over to Manchester airport, and people starting their car engines at all hours of the night in the car park.

Unique Quality: Has a pool at 30 degree's, a steam room, sauna and spa bath which is a bit too hot.

Directions: Just outside Stockport.

More about Britannia Hotel Stockport

Don't go there!

by TripAdvisor Member snowy15

Stayed one night September 2006 at Britannia Hotel Stockport. Hotel was dirty the lift was filthy and so old it couldn't cope with two people and two suitcases. The room had a large wet stain on the ceiling. The bedspread was stained and dirty. No handles on the wardrobe doors. Bathroom door wouldn't shut. What else can I say?

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member SuzJez

Arrived on Saturday 8th July ,meet by a fairly cheerfull receptionaist, took my £45 and gave me my room key. Entered my room, did not even bother to unpack, i just left, the room was old, smelly, quite dirty and the bathroom was just awfull. I went straight to my brothers to suprise my niece for her 18 th just a bit ealier than expected. Ended up sleeping at my brothers in a sleeping bag on the couch. At least it was clean, they can keep my £45, they need it more than me. Did not even bother looking at gym which i had paid and extra £5.00 for. My advise look somewhere else, only book this hotel if really desperate.

Worst hotel EVER

We booked a family room and two floors up the window was missing. In its place was a large sheet of very thin cardboard attached to the wall on one side by sellotape. People with kids (or without) might find this very dangerous. Broken TV , broken phone, hole in the wall, damp patches , wallpaper hanging down - need I go on ? Between the original room and the replacement one there was 20 problems counted before we gave up and left.It gets one star because I am not allowed to award zero. It is the first time in my life I have had to leave a hotel. (I was fifth in the queue at reception to complain about the standard of bedrooms)

A Rancid Dump

by TripAdvisor Member ScottishTraveller1

Stayed at this dive on July 7th 2006 en-route to a holiday in Orlando. Booked it at randon from a list of hotels in the Manchester area who gave deals on Airport parking.
How I wish I had checked it out first on Trip Advisor.
On arrival in the car park you could see from the state of many
of the grubby pairs of curtains in the windows that this was a very poor standard of hotel.
Was allocated room 221. Double bed and bunks for our 2 children. One on the duvets on the bunks had a blood stain, albeit dried blood by the look of it.
I asked reception to change the duvet but instead the girl let us see the room next door, but it had cardboard instead of glass in one of the window panes and had no shower head on the shower. My wife then went and looked at a further room but the window did not open so the girl said we could have a fan in the room as it was a fairly hot day. Eventually the receptionist gave us what I had originally asked for , a new ( different ) duvet.
When the old duvet was removed we saw that the sheets had not even been changed, so new sheets were also supplied.
We decided not to eat in this health hazard and went out to the Trafford Centre for a meal and a trip to the cinema.
When we returned after midnight we discovered that a Hippo must have previously slept in the double bed because one side of the mattress was severely sunken, this was the worst bed I have ever been in. Next morning we found out not to our surprise that the shower did not work .
We decided to have breakfast at the airport rather than eat in this rancid dump incase we spent our holiday in Florida with food poisoning .
This truly is a place unfit to be called a hotel, it is a total embaressment to the British hospitality trade.
Britannia might well have historically ruled the waves but Britannia hotels will certainly not if this septic dive is the standard of establishment they are festering on the British public

dont go there

by TripAdvisor Member teddysmith

We went to this Hotel on the 22/07 for an overnight stay, thank goodness it was just one night. The place was run down and very shabby fortunately our room was clean but not so the other passengers on our coach trip they complained of dirty rooms spiders webs and broken furniture. The breakfast was a complete shambles with everyone being told to come to breakfast at 8.30 the did not have any tables and the ones that were empty were not cleared the staff were not very helpful and were not doing very much to help the situation. There were people shouting at the Manageress who did not seem very stressed we thought she must be used to this kind of situation, so be warned dont go there I have written to Caledonian Travel and also Britannia head office

Just don't!!

by TripAdvisor Member Moon_on_a_stick

We were group booked into this hotel for one night by our employer while attending a training course, one night too long. Friendly receptionist sorted out our keys pretty quickly and we were pointed in the direction of our rooms, so far so good. Room was basic and looked very tired (peeling wallpaper, marked carpet etc). Unfortunately when I went to the toilet I found that the seat was covered in sticky yellow urine. The tiling around the bath was also covered in black mould. I visited reception and asked if they could send a cleaner up to deal with the toilet and I was told that they would see to it. I went out for the evening and returned at 11pm to find that there was no electricity in my room. Another trip to reception and I found myself moving rooms as they couldn't find the fuse box. I was allowed to keep both keys so next morning I went back to make sure I hadn't left anything and found the toilet still hadn't been cleaned. Went down to breakfast and had to search 4 or 5 tables to gather enough clean cutlery so that I could start to eat as tables were not cleared when people finished (although the breakfast was okay). I was with 10 colleagues and we were all disgusted with the standard of the place. Didn't use the leisure facilities as I didn't have time but they looked okay. In summary, don't go to this hotel (unless you're an environmental health officer).

Awful!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Joanna21

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night and that was enough, its a complete dump. The room smelt foisty, the shower was broke and was hangin on by a thread! The tv remote had no batteries, the handles on the wardrobe was missing and there was a used plaster on my bedside table - obviously not well cleaned! The walls were paper thin and you could hear the people in the room next door and the corridoor! We were booked in this hotel as part of a coach party and orignally were due to eat dinner at 7pm but then they changed it to 8pm, The dining room was not big enough to accomodate the 4 coaches that were there, therefore at 8.30pm we still hadnt eaten. The staff sat you at tables once someone had left but didnt set the places for us, we had to use cuttlery that the previous people had had but didnt use!!! Let me tell you it was a relief to get out of there and i feel sorry for anyone else who has to stay there!

Hotel California, You can never leave!

by TripAdvisor Member 24384069

My Parents Are currently at this Hotel with a coach party,I wish I had read the Reviews so as to warn them,
they are having a horrible time some guests have asked the company to let them go home because it is so filthy and nothing works,
But they say they wont let them. my Mum & Dad Had no sleep last night due to a noisy air con unit outsde their window but there is no air con in the room ,
there is countless problems with this hotel, How does it remain open? I shall do all I can to inform all concerned, including environmental health to get this place sorted.

Total Dump, Dirty, Unfriendly staff, worst hotel ever - Stay away !!

by TripAdvisor Member cityplayer

Oh my gosh... this is the worst hotel that i've every had the misfortune to stayed in, and I've been to quite a few in many countries. If I could give it minus points, I would.

The hotel was booked by my company, since we were there on business and it was supposedly close to the location.

On arriving we found our selves sorrounded but senior citizens, seems there was some kind of conference or outing booked for them. The check-in clerk, she was very unfriendly and appeared as if she was doing us a favor by letting us stay in the hotel.
I've always found it a bad sign, when the hotel want you to pay your bill on arrival rather then on check-out, always seem like they are getting paid before you have viewed your room. Anyway that what happend.

When I got to my room, it was filthy. The carpets had stains on them and were dirty. The bathtub was broken and stained, and to be honest i wouldn't of used it either. There was milldew on the tiles and some sort of black fungus.

The toliet seat had dried urine or something on it. There was no soap provided, so i had to use the shower and hair gel.

The TV was broken, the bed sheets were dirty and had small holes in them. This being said we do not eat in the hotel, since we were not sure able the hyegine. We did have breakfast, and it was awful.

Overall, the next day, i felt dirty and will certainly be talking to our facilites dept. never ever to book this place again.

I only wish, i had taken photos with my phone cam, to show you.

Comments