Britannia Hotel Wigan

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 26% less but rated 17% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Wigan

Kirkless HallKirkless Hall

dragonflies real and art formdragonflies real and art form

Maze artMaze art

head collage - my arty shots ;-0head collage - my arty shots ;-0

Wigan Athletic V Man U February 2011

by thegirlfromnewy

Can someone please help!

My partner and i will be in London from the 21st to 28th Feb 2011. My partner was really hoping to see Man U and Wigan play at Wigan.
Can you direct me to where we can get tickets as we havnt had much luck as yet. Am I fighting a loosing battle here?

by leics

I assume you have looked at the Wigan site for info on purchasing tickets?

I can only see tickets on sale online for matches up to 5th Feb. You could contact the Wigan ticket office for information, but this will mean a phone call:

Tickets for this match are not on sale on the Man Utd website either, nor on out-of-the-UK resale partner sites such as viagogo. I fear you may well be unlucky.

Don't be tempted to buy tickets from any touts outside the ground on the day. Touting (resale of tickets) is illegal in the UK, even if the tickets are not counterfeit.

by cubsur

You do realise of course that Wigan is just over 200 miles from London and that the game is almost certain to be sell-out! Members and season ticket holders get first chance to buy tickets and the general sales to the public are limited in number.

Luckily for you the game is not being shown on TV so it is a 3pm kickoff. That does mean you don't have to get out of bed too early or be travelling back late in the evening. It's about two hours by train from London to Wigan (North Western station) and return tickets are from about £52 - £70 depending on which trains you take and how far ahead you purchase.

Have a good day if you can get tickets.

by cubsur

3pm Saturday 26th that is.

Travel Tips for Wigan

Rugby and family

by YPie

My favourite thing about Wigan is the rugby, get along to a game if you can. The JJB doesn't have the atmosphere or history of Central Park, but it's still great entertainment. `In the Moon Under Water (a Wetherspoons pub in Wigan) there's a picture of my great grandfather on a narrow boat leaving Wigan pier. It really makes me feel part of the town.

The same picture is in Wigan Pier, but for some reason I seem to visit the pub more often....

The Wiend

by sandysmith

The Wiend is Wigan's historic medieval shopping street - but really is was quite disappointing - narrow, few shops of interest and hardly picturesque - not a patch of those in York. I would easily have missed it had it not been for this sign. There did look to be a lovely fine retaurant at the top though - just opened.

Leeds and Liverpool Canal

by sandysmith

The Leeds and Liverpool canal was completed in 1827 and is 127 miles long with 91 locks and 2 tunnels The canal was instrumental in Wigan's industrial development and heritage - especially for transporting coal and cotton. The canal was prosperous until the railways provided their comptition in the 1850's but it was 1972 before coal traffic finally ceased. On the canal tow path behind the Trencherfield Mill is a dry dock and atop is an appropiate weather vane - :-)

Tesco, a bit of rugby history

by YPie

Yes, I'm telling you to visit a supermarket. But with a bit of vision and a bit of rugby knowledge try to imagine one of the most legendary rugby grounds ever in existence. Central Park. It feels like I grew up here, the heart of Wigan.

It's now a tesco supermarket, but if you look hard enough you can see the hints of the past. There's a small rugby ball statue in the corner of the car park, and every time I go there I feel a shiver.

Maybe it's just me, but with some rugby love and some romance in your soul, you might just feel it too.

Comments