The Bellingham Hotel

The Bellingham Hotel
Agoda.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• Was once "good"

Was once one of the "class" places to go in Wigan
    Myself, partner and son went for our 2011 Christmas lunch, was informed on booking that a new chef had been employed because they had had complaints (we were there then 2010, although we didn't complain) the previous year, I thought at £50 each the chef must be good (it being £35 the previous year).
    The room was sparse on entering, for the champagne reception, a dozen tables set, ranging from 3 seating to 6 seating. A family of 6 were seated as we came in (I mention this because they left before the starter was brought in, did they get their money back? I don't know.
    Starters brought in, ok I suppose.
    Main Christmas dinner, after a long delay finally got it! "Pigs in Blankets" burnt on one side, not cooked on the other, dish with vegetables in it was swimming in water altogether, not appetising.
    Sweet course - a small Christmas pudding looking like it had been bought from Tesco's, same with the mince pies.
    Had to go to the toilet part way through (as you do) down the stairs near the Hotel Reception, dirty toilets, toilet paper on the floor, no soap, no hand blower (evidence that there used to be one), no paper towels. I went to the disabled toilet nearby, same senario there, no "blower", no paper towels.

Plus side, we did get 2 glasses of port with the meal.

Of the dozen tables set maybe 6 were occupied (was told that there was only one sitting), that is including the family of 6 that left. It was a cold, piped music atmosphere, almost funerial, the staff seemed to be embarassed as to what was presented to us diners. Second year in succession, will not be a third. In fact coming on this website to complain makes me feel better but I am just going down to the Bellingham to find out what happened to the Fabulous "New chef". hope to be back within the next couple of hours.
    Take care,