Paramount Basingstoke Country Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Paramount Basingstoke Country Hotel

1st class experience!!!

by TripAdvisor Member scoobyskidoo

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my wife. Upgrade to superior room and were very impressed with its size. It was huge! There was a king size bed, a dining table for 4, a large sofa, easy chair, 2 desks and a large bathroom with WC, bidet, bath with shower over it and a separate shower cubicle. I believe the superior room s come in a different shapes and sizes so I couldn't speak for all of them but the one we had was perfect. Didn't see the inside of a standard room but were told by other customers that they were of a good size and standard.

We had breakfast included which was fine - nothing special but plentiful. Although we walked into a busy dining room each morning we were served the (to order) hot options quickly. We had dinner only on our first night which was delicious! Service in the restaurant was very good.

The leisure facilities (included in the room price) were excellent - good size pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room - all well kept. The gym seemed to have plenty of modern equipment but we didn't make use of it.

The staff in the hotel were mainly foreign, but good English was spoken throughout and all were polite, friendly and efficient.
The hotel has little in the way of grounds, but is surrounded by woodlands which were very pleasant to stroll through.

Location - excellent. Off main road (A30 London Road) and just a couple of miles off the M3. Did not hear any road noise at all. Basingstoke is just 4 miles away and the village of Hook is just a mile up the road, and has a good size Tesco, as well as other local shops and a petrol station. Hook Station is on the mainline to Waterloo and offers a half hourly service to London (hourly on Sundays). Plenty of parking available at the station. A couple of pubs serving food were within 10 minutes walk of the hotel with numerous more a short drive away.

Overall it was difficult to find fault with the hotel and I would not hesitate to use it again.

ps Check out the hotel website for late deal leisure breaks at great prices.

Steve and Chrissie's Excellent week-end for a budget price

by TripAdvisor Member Chris_54

Found a good deal on the hotel's website and thoroughly enjoyed our week-end. Nice quiet room, overlooking the courtyard. Staff very friendly and professional. Breakfast was partly self-service (cold) but cooked eggs, bacon etc served at the table. No compaints. Dinner was three courses from set menu -good variety. Hotel very busy on both nights - staff coped admirably! Hotel's location is pleasant, though the building is a labirynth of stairs and corridors. Those guests with mobility problems need to request rooms near reception to avoid the stairs, as there are no lifts. This is our fourth Paramount break and, providing the price is right, the chain delivers its product without disappointment. The Paramount Leisure Club is worth joining, as membership will add value to your stay.

Mediocre at best

by TripAdvisor Member stokerej

We have just spent 2 nights at this hotel and its pretty mediocre at best. The village of Hook is approximately 1 mile away but there is little else close by. However, as we were going to a wedding at the Four Seasons, this did not effect us. There are gym/spa and swimming pool facilities available but if as we did , you are allocated a room above the gym, and overlooking the car park, there is no chance of a 'lie in' because of the music vibrating from the gym or very inconsiderate car park users. Our relatives who were further along the hotel, were not subjected to this. The cleanliness of the rooms is just OK. It is not pristine. I won't go into detail, but our toilet was disgusting (outside the bowl - not the inside) How a cleaner could have missed it is beyond me but the Housekeeper was most apologetic. We didn't eat at the hotel simply because we feel £15 is quite expensive for breakfast. The hotel was very busy, but I think it was mainly wedding guests as there was a wedding going on. The reception staff were extremely helpful and professional. Don't think we will be returning.

Birthday Treat

by TripAdvisor Member Dazzyb1979

I decided to treat my girlfriend to a weekend away for her birthday, and as she has visited many areas of britain, i knew she hadnt been to basingstoke but i had thru work. I looked on late deals and got an offer for 2 nights stay, bed n breakfast for jus over £200, which was a complete BARGAIN for what we got.
The hotel was nicely furbed, very comfy seats in the bar area, wont forget them. The room was brilliant, nice n clean, nicely decorated, and shower was good, not a proper power shower like i had of wished, but was good. The meals we got included breakfast, and dinner were FANTASTIC and the service was good too, altho one night when quite busy, they tended to drift off to the number parties rather than make sure everyone was treated the same.
The pool, sauna and gym was FABULOUS ! really nice, very quiet too so it wasnt loud and u wasnt cramped..in my top 3 for gyms, pools i have visited in hotels..!!
We went into Basingstoke centre for the saturday night and ended up in a Lloyds bar, very cheap but brilliant place, not rough at all, no fighting, all nice people, and friendlydoor staff. The taxi man we got from the hotel described where everything was to us, very friendly and helpful gentlemen.

I would highly recommend the PARAMOUNT as a place to stay for romantic weekend, birthday treat etc, dont think its flash enough for weddings in my opinion altho they seem to getr alot of bookings so maybe..

Needs BIG improvementts

by TripAdvisor Member crocettesontour

Having seen this hotel through it's various Management companies over the years, I was saddened to see that NOT ONE of these companies have injected any cash into what could be a great hotel. The rooms are dated (although some I believe have benefited from a refurb - due to fire!) and I've yet to stay in a hotel that still has a peach bathroom suite. The bed was okay but the bedding left alot to be desired - lumpy pillows and sheets that didn't quite fit. The gym smelt of damp and the the tiles in the pool look like they're just about held together with toothpaste. The cleanliness of the pool/sauna area left ALOT to be desired and the showers are disgusting. Bar staff and reception staff very nice and helpful but that's about all I can say on a positive note for this hotel. Let's just hope that the Barcelo chain get it right. No, I would not stay here again.

Comments