Lyndhurst Rd, Brockenhurst, SO42 7ZB, United Kingdom
Booking.com Agoda.com Priceline.com

More about Balmer Lawn

Great Hotel in fabulous location

We stayed at the Balmer Lawn for one night in April this Year. The location of the hotel is great for the New Forest and the hotel itself is set in beautiful grounds. The hotel staff were very helpful and we made full use of the pool, sauna and the bar. The whole hotel has a relaxing atmosphere and we had a lovely room with a fab view. I would definately stay at the Balmer Lawn again!

A Memorable Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member ShropshireAandB

We had an annual re-union of old schoolfriends, my turn to organise it this year, we are mostly in our 60th year, the hotel and staff could not have been more helpful, the accomodation, food, service and the rapport we enjoyed was first class.

Relaxing romantic weekend away

by TripAdvisor Member travelbug300

My partner and myself just spent a lovely weekend staying at the Balmer Lawn and had a wonderful time.
The whole process started well with a quick response from my reservation inquiry on the internet, they called me within two hours. The gentleman taking my booking was friendly and cheerful and able to help me with all my questions we got a last minute deal and stayed in one of their four poster rooms for £107 a night including breakfast.

I was a little concerned when we arrived and the room is at the front of the hotel over the bar and patio area but with the newly double glazed windows shut you could hear a thing. The room itself was as described and had a period feel and was light and airy. The bathroom was fairly new and of an adequate size, with a good powerful shower.

We eat in the hotel on the Saturday night, which was a lovely experience, and the food was excellent the experience made special by the care and attention showed by staff especially the restaurant manager. The live piano music throughout was good too.

There was a wedding on the Saturday night and we were a little worried about the noise but had we not known in advance we never would have.

Breakfast is nothing special and as to be expected to hotels of this size but nothing wrong with it either.

They also sell cheap tickets to local attractions and staff were able to suggest ideas for where to go and walks to go on.

The pool, sauna, and jacuzzi are little but perfectly formed and the newly redone changing rooms have been done to a high standard. I am sure the outside pool, once finished will be great over the summer.

Location of hotel is great on the edge of Brockenhurst so you are not in town but can easily walk if you want to eat out or go for a drink in the village. Good access to New Forest too.

Throughout our stay the staff were friendly and attentive and made the stay very enjoyable. I would certainly consider going back if only to see the foals which were on the field in front of the hotel grow up.

Excellent hotel and restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member Carosnave

After reading the most recent review, I wondered if we were staying at the same hotel!
The service, facilities and room were all excellent. Everywhere has been recenty refurbished and was spotlessly clean.

We got a great deal from laterooms, and upgraded to a four poster room which was very comfortable.

We eat dinner in the hotel the first night, which was an excellent standard, well worth its 2 AA rosettes, and the service by the flamboyant restaurant managerwas exemplary. In fact all the staff were very freindly and helpful. Try the Le poussin restaurant less than a mile from the hotel for an exceptional dinner.

We used the excellent indoor leisure facilites, but didn`t have time to visit the squash or tennis courts,and the outdoor pool was being retiled during our visit.

We will definatley return if we`re down this way again.

Wonderful Hotel - Nothing too much trouble

Being unable to find a hotel in Bournemouth (thank goodness for that having found the Balmer Lawn) and as a last minute deal on the internet (lastminute.com) I paid £90 for a four poster superior room including breakfast for my wife and I. After making the booking I e-mailed the hotel to book a table in the restaurant and a wine, flowers and chocs package for my wife. I received a receipt for my e-mail almost immediately and a confirmation that the arrangements had been made within another five minutes.
Our first impression on arrival was superb with the reception staff being most welcoming and helpful. Our room was lovely, overlooking the forest with nice furnishings, flat screen tv, nice sofa and seating area as well as a wonderfully comfortable bed. The selected flowers package etc was in place and very nicely presented.
The bathroom was newly decorated and refurbished and was spotlessly clean and very nicely presented.
Dinner in the restaurant was fantastic although perhaps a little pricier than it needed to be and Vincent was a wonderful host as restaurant manager.
The facilities were as described and although we did not use them they looked very inviting and well kept. The outdoor pool was undergoing refurbishment but this was highlighted in the hotel web site so no problem.
I completed the guest survey form in the room and submitted it upon check out and was pleased to find on my return home a very nice thank you e-mail from the hotel for doing so along with the offer of a complimentary upgrade on our next visit.
Overall a most enjoyable experience and we will definitely return.

great hotel 1st class service

by TripAdvisor Member daisyloo

what a start we felt important the second we walked in the door.
We only booked a standard double room but was made to feel as if we had the best room in the house. The room was comfortable with top tv and very nice fixtures and fitings. The outside pool has just opened and is not quite finished but we would love to return to see it complete. we ate in the resturant on saturday night and nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff. breakfast was ok but seeing how busy they were they coped fantasticly.
great location,service and food

Exceptional

by TripAdvisor Member Sarnpaul

Splendidly located on the edge of the village , bordering the Forest and overlooking a Cricket pitch. We were so pleased we chose this hotel rather than some of its cramped neighbours.
Staff could not have been more attentive, helpful and polite.
All facilities were spotless and received regular attention during the day.
Both indoor and outdoor pools were warm clean and quiet and the showers just magnificent when you have cycled all day !
Award winning food was just that - although a bit pricey.

Our room was light and welcoming and the view stunning. Minor gripes - wall paper border peeling off in bedroom ( although most of the hotel seems to have been recently refurbished) and no lockers in leisure facility so had to leave clothes etc on view / accessible to others.

However that didnt detract from a lovely experience overall which we will certainly look to repeat.

What a pleasant surprise!

by TripAdvisor Member EMK2006

After reading a couple of rogue reviews on this site giving negative feedback, we were a little nervous about our two night stay here. We needn't have worried at all - from beginning to end our stay was great. Perfect location, friendly staff, comfortable and attractive room and ensuite bathroom.

We also met the infamous Vincent and, after being wooed by him, decided to stay for dinner - we did not regret it one bit. Wonderful service and delicious food, they certainly deserve all of the awards they have received.

All in all we'd recommend it to anyone and to those people that gave it a bad review, I think you may be forgetting that it is a three star hotel - if you want elite service get your big fat wallets out and get down to the Chewton Glen instead!

Worst Value for Money Ever - Never Again !

by TripAdvisor Member Gordon75

Worst value hotel I have ever stayed in. I booked a Dbl Room with a Forest View at the discounted rate of £145.

The room we were allocated on the top floor was appalling. A large section of the wallpaper was peeling under significant damp patch. The bathroom aside from being the smallest I have ever had - had cracked tiles, rust/drip stains on the bath as well as taps that didn't match.

The spa hydro pool had green scum and the sauna feels like it is heated by 2 candles it's so weak.

The food was pricey and it took 50 mins for lunch to arrive. There was no draught beer on tap and the bottled beer was warm.

The view is over the car park then the cricket pitch with a fairly busy road between you and the forest.

I have stayed in the Montagu Arms / Rhinefield House and Carey's Manor previously and these are much better value - especially if you can wait for special offers or lastminute deals.

Steer well clear!

by TripAdvisor Member MCHLondon

The comments from most previous reviewers sadly all too true. Peeling wallpaper, terrible, dated bathrooms, overloaded breakfast room - we had to queue to get in (even though there were empy tables), queue for food and even queue for orange juice. The excuse was 'we've got two weddings on' - not 'we've overbooked/haven't got enought staff'. And all this for £180/night!Dire - difficult to imagine how such places still exist - says lots about undemanding Brits.

Comments