Lyndhurst Road, Brockenhurst, Hampshire, SO24 7RH,

Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• janetd1xon's Profile Photo

Marriage in the lounge at Carey's Manor

We decided to have this as my venue for my wedding. Located centrally in the New Forest with nice gardens for the wedding pictures. OUr part was only 36,s o it was idea and an intimate occasion. Friends and relatives enjoyed coming to the New Forest for the weekend.
    we did not stay in the hotel other than the "free" night we were given with the wedding package. The honeymoon suite was nothing to write home about. The staff made the wedding go very well with everything that we wanted from the venue for our quiet wedding. We were very lucky to find a B&B accross the road which made the cost of it more affordable.
    I would recommend this hotel for a wedding, as it made a memorable day!

Unique Quality: Nice front and gardens for wedding photos.
    Drinks in the garden after the service when photos were being taken.
    Seperate well proportioned rooms for our size function.
    Chef that considered and catered very well for our vegetarian requirements.

More about Careys Manor Hotel And Senspa

give this hotel a miss

When I think of the new forest I imagine charm and warmth but dont expect that from careys manor, the only thing they have is a good spa but why go all the way to the New Forest to sit in a pool. Give Careys a miss is you want an enjoyable holiday and good food !.

Great Spa, average hotel

I have just returned with my girlfriend from the hotel's New Year's Eve package. We live in London so it was wonderful to escape the city and be in the country for a few days.

The hotel has an amazing spa facility. Attached to the hotel is a five star "mini Thailand" complete with Thai decor and Thai massagers. It is fantastic and has a huge swimming pool, jaccuzi, 2 steam rooms, a herbal sauna, ice room, a giant whirlpool and chill-out room. It was very surreal to think that the Thai/Roman baths facility was situated in Brockenhurst.

The hotel itself was much more average. The outside of the manor house and entrance hall was beautiful but most of the rooms were situated in a 1960s extension. The garden rooms were reasonably sized but with a basic 3 star level of decor. The food in the restaurant was fine and the Eastern European staff did a good job, although again, the restaurant decor was pretty basic. Certainly, the style of the hotel jarred with that of the spa.

The price of the package was huge. I was therefore expecting a slightly more stylish all round set up. I suspect they are having to charge lots to cover the costs of the newly constructed spa, especially as the place was far from busy.

The hotel is a good place for a weekend break but be prepared to have a country hotel experience, rather than a 5 star luxury experience.

Trying to be something it's not

We stayed at Carey's Manor for an anniversary weekend in November and looki ng at their descriptions on the website, were pretty excited about it. Whilst the room was big and clean (I think it was a Garden Room) it was terrifically noisy at night- there was a Wedding taking place that wkend- I'd have put all the non-wedding guests in a block away from the wedding guests myself! We ate in the restaurant that night and both thought it was too expensive for what it was- mediocre, overly fussy food- it's obvious they want/are trying to be Chewton Glenn but really it's average and overpriced. Breakfast was farcical with the restaurant manager shouting at his staff whilst we waited for toast and not enough tables for everyone. None of this spoilt our stay, but on the whole we felt it was very expensive and oversold for somewhere pretty average

Take a torch.

by TripAdvisor Member ChrisSG

Having read the previous reviews I have to say I agree with some of the negative comments but on the whole I found it to be a really nice hotel. Yes, the views were not stunning but you only had to walk a few minutes to be in the forest after all.
And yes, the room could have been a bit bigger (we stayed in the manor) but it was spotlessly clean and I thought well furnished.
Food, particularly breakfast could have been a bit better, the fruit salad was quite limited and I would have preferred to help myself to juice because you never seemed to get offered anymore after your initial glass but that is just nitpicking really. There are a couple of restaurants close by and at least 3 pubs that all serve food anyway.
The staff were very friendly and I would have to say probably the best thing about this hotel. The management seemed to have a very good working relationship with other staff members, at least that is the way it seemed to me at the time.
If you decide to go out in the evening and walk into the village then please take care as you exit the hotel grounds. You go through a gateway in a wall next to the carpark and it is not very well lit. It would be fine if the car park was empty(!)but parked cars blocked the light and I stumbled on a low wall leading up to the gate. I hasten to add that this was on the way to the pub, not the way back! It could be easily rectified by siting another light by the gate. If we return then I will make sure we have a torch.
If you do go then take your bikes or at least hire some in the village because it is fantastic place to cycle.

You can do better than this

by TripAdvisor Member SpaPrincess

We stayed here in summer 2005 for a special birthday. Some highlights were: the restaurant, waiting staff esp the Maitre D', and the luxury of the spa. However...
1) Reception staff are muddled and not terribly welcoming. They didn't seem to like the fact that a party of 6 would not necessarily arrive together, so insisted on swiping another credit card. This caused confusion on check-out!
2) Hotel has sold off all its grounds or built on them, so it lacks quiet outdoor space (the road outside is very busy).
3) We arrived for their (late) check-in time but the room wasn't ready, we'd had a long journey and we couldn't get any refreshments. The bar was closed, Blairaus closed, we did ask for tea in the lounge but it never arrived. Really, they should have provided it free for weary travellers I feel.
4) Morning papers were delivered to the wrong room.
5) We were supposed to have a reduced entry price for the spa, but they denied this on check-out and embarrassed us by arguing, so we ended up paying more.

In contrast, we more recently stayed in their nearby competitors, the New Park Manor, and found them far more welcoming and accommodating. Their spa is also new, even if it lacks the "Thai" theme of Carey's Manor. It was still gorgeous. I'd advise people to go to New Park Manor instead.

Fantastic new Spa

We stayed at Careys in Febuary and had a really great weekend. The food and service were excellent.We stayed in a Junior suite which was new and very well furnished. The highlight of the trip was the new Spa which was fantastic. We have visited many Spas and this was up there with the best, the treatments were great and facilities similar. Very nice Thai restaurant with friendly staff.

ghastly dining room

by TripAdvisor Member chipsmiths

Recently stayed at Carey's Manor in the New Forest. Quite a disappointment. A very ugly building with an unsympathetic extension, and very little grounds.
As a two rosette restaurant we expected the food to be good, and it was, but the restaurant is completely lacking any atmosphere, it looks and is a large soulless function room - fine if its your wedding but if you are wanting an intimate dinner a deux - forget it.
The new Sen Spa is lovely but pricey, even to hotel guests.
Most of the staff are very helpful, but one or two of the waitresses serving dinner looked very unkempt and untrained.

Almost Below Average for a 4star / Saved by the Spa

I would have given this Hotel a 2 but the spa did make it an enjoyable experience, We went there for our anniversary and in the confirmation email we were advised to arrive 2 hours before our first treatment (Massage 13.30)We had also pre booked lunch at 12.00 so we arrived at 11.30. I did notice that the conditions of booking in were that 15.00 was the average booking in time. I assumed that as we were staying and using the facilities i didn't expect to have to dig my swimming cozzy out in the reception and get my smalls out in public especially the price we paid for one night the idea of arriving early the spa advised in print was to relax / i couldn't relax noot 100% sure i had a room for the night and wandering back to reception with my clothing in one hand and wearing my pyjamas after treatments, very undignified / The room was probably slightly better than a travel lodge, food was good / and at the end of your stay, check your bill as i knocked off over £100 of extras we didn't have

Spa wonderful, restaurant food not up to standard

by TripAdvisor Member RosemaryE

The Spa is wonderful, so many different rooms and showers to try, a great hydrotherapy pool, and the staff in the Spa are great, the facial I had was the best ever and there is plenty of space to relax quietly or chat (make sure you have access to the Spa area otherwise quite limited).

Rooms we thought fine and clean.

We had a Spa break which meant we had breakfast and lunch in the Zen restaurant. The Thai food in there was lovely although the staff seemed at times to be on another planet.

We ate in the Manor restaurant in the evenings and as mentioned elsewhere it lacked atmsophere and the food was average to poor. The dinner option doesn't even include coffee and many of the dishes come at a substantial supplement. It was obvious we didn't like our food because we left a lot of it and this was acknowledged but no compensation was offered.

Overall I would go back if I could eat in the Thai restaurant instead of the Manor restaurant. For the price we paid we should have had nice food and we didn't.

Comments