Rhinefield Rd, Brockenhurst, New Forest, SO42 7QB, United Kingdom

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Certainly Magnificent!

I didn't actually stay IN the hotel, I was simply there doing a temp chef job. They put me up in the former Keeper's Lodge - which with my broomcupboard room barely (literally bare) big enough to fit a single bed, a door which didn't shut properly and a shared loo with no light was the naffest staff accommodation I've ever been put in. Needless to say I didn't stay long.

However the hotel itself is rather magnificent. Converted from a former stately home it was originally constructed in 1887 as the home for the newly married daughter of the Eastwood Colliery owners, the Walkers. No expense was spared in the building which is described as a combination of Tudor and Gothic styles and the internal decoration and features must have involved teams of skilled masons and woodworkers.

It is now under the ownership of the luxury group Hand Picked Hotels who have created a solidly 4-star environment using the original features but with the addition of modern touches (including the fitness centre). Service is generally friendly, although slightly formal, and the food offering superb - rated 2 Rosettes by the AA.

I haven't seen the inside of any of the bedrooms (it has 50) but judging by the level of comfort and opulence provided in the public spaces I imagine these are characterful, comfortable and equipped with the expected 4-star mod-cons.

Unique Quality: Whilst there are many outstanding characteristics of Rhinefield House, in my opinion the most outstanding of all is the location. The hotel is set in several acres of land, a mix of formal garden and untamed woodland, in the middle of the New Forest - the main road is over a mile away. This makes it an ideal base for exploring the delights the National Park has to offer - if you can afford it that is!

Directions: About three miles north of the village, follow the road signpost for Rhinefield and keep an eye out for the hotel's sign on the left.

More about Rhinefield House

A Wasted Opportunity

by TripAdvisor Member RuthieLondon

Rhinefield House Hotel could be great, it has a new bijoux (but v. nice) pool/sauna/steam complex, and a great setting right in the New Forest - we took a 90min walk through the Forest, justifying a cream tea in Brockenhurst

However whilst the staff were pleasant and helpful, the fact that were all so young didn't inspire confidence and the hotel felt v. much like a 'training' hotel

The bedrooms are in an uninspiring annexe, but are well appointed and warm - however the public areas of the hotel were v. cold, and therefore lacking in atmosphere and appeal - only one small fire was ever lit, and this threw out v. little heat. The wall heaters and electric radiators were v. inadequate. I'm sure the dining room (over fussy food) and bar would have been more popular if real fires had been lit - a real missed opportunity.

Nice building, ok room

by TripAdvisor Member featherbum

Just got back from a one night stay at the Rhinefield house hotel.

The building is absolutely gorgeous, and the hotel grounds are very nice too, but when we went for a walk we found they werent that big- you'll only get a long walk if you leave the hotel and go through the foresty bit.
We saw some stags and deers etc, which was great.

Now the bit we werent' too impressed with- the room. It doesnt look like the brochure at all... I found it quite small, and it had a door that connected it to the next room. Because of this i could hear EVERYTHING that was going on next door, the lady next door called her friend on the phone and i could hear every word she said!!!! So i guess they could hear us too, not good.
It was nice and clean, and the tv is v big, and you do get free dvd's etc.
It was about a billion degrees in the room too and even when i turned the heating down it was so hot!!!

Overall a nice hotel but as i was dissapointed with the room we wouldn't go back (we called reception for a change of room and they simply said all the rooms are the same so no point on changing so i left it at that).

Maybe i am too fussy as i can see all the other reviews were great, but as i said, great hotel, but room not worth the prices they charge.

Highly Recommended!!

by TripAdvisor Member Hollyd20

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Rhinefield House, and what a treat!!
The House is stunning; the rooms are highly furnished with a very large plasma and lots of nice complementary toiletries and bottled water. The breakfast was great too, lots of choice. The staff were very attentive. On our stay we received a complementary bottle of pink champagne in our room and they let us drink it out by the large fish pond over looking that house, rather that being restricted to our room.
The one downside I would say is that one member of front desk staff wasn't too helpful, when we enquired about hiring bikes from the hotel, we were told we had to give 24 hrs notice to hire bikes (which isn't advertised) and they didn't even call to see if it could be arranged as we had asked the night before we wanted them.
Apart from this minor incident our stay was very enjoyable, lounging around the outside pool, I would defiantly return to this hotel.

Affordable luxury in the heart of the New Forest

by TripAdvisor Member CatSmith2006

This hotel is beautiful both inside, the rooms, lobby and dining area and out, the grounds are stunning. Clean and tastefully decorated bedroom and friendly staff. The New Forest is a lovely area to explore, though we found it difficult to leave Rhinefield's grounds! Higly recommended.

Absolutely delightful

by TripAdvisor Member BunnyPalmer

My husband and I were on a camping holiday and whilst we were cycling around the New Forest two weeks ago, my husband suggested that we stop for afternoon tea at the Rhinefield Hotel. I was a little worried as we were dressed in t-shirts and trousers, however I needn't have worried. We were treated delightfully and had a beautiful table by the large carp pond. The sun shone and we felt that we were in heaven. After tea, we had a lovely stroll around the gardens, saw the pool and did the maze.
As we were treated so well, we now look forward to returning for a long weekend. The hotel could teach a lot of other hotels about how to treat its customers no matter if they are spending £1000 or £20.

Great setting

I found this hotel following a very spur of the moment decision to stay in the region after a very long day of driving and business. I have fond memories of the area from my youth. On arrival you cannot help but be impressed at this lovely old house and its setting. The staff were very polite and attentive. I dined in the restaurant and was impressed with the standard of food though the portions were on the small side. The room I had was an executive double with all the trimmings except air con which in the heat wave of July 2006 would have been more than welcome. I have stayed at a sister hotel ,Rookery Hall in Cheshire which I also recommend. Breakfast was a full english with all the trimmings and was of a high standard. I will definitely stay here again and hopefully the weather will allow some sleep!

Really superb hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Mrs.B.Jones

This is a really super hotel, right in the depths of the New Forest. An imposing building with fabulous grounds.Whilst nearly all the rooms is a new part it is cleverly done - they are off the bar area, they are modern, tasteful and lcomfortable. The main house has a superb restaurant ,the tables are well spaced and the room is rather grand. The food is really excellent, I certainly recommend dining here. The staff were very efficent and pleasant.
All in all an extremely good hotel.

Simply the best!

by TripAdvisor Member KevinPB

We spent three mid-week nights there. Everything about the place was excellent; food, setting and staff. I cannot understnd the negative reviews.

Booking through Expedia also saved me a few quid on the room rate!

Disabled guests should note that the ground floor is on several levels, meaning that there a few short flights of stairs to negotiate, when getting from the rooms to the restaurant.

WOWO!!!

by TripAdvisor Member SubaruDriver

Beautiful location; gorgeous hotel, very friendly and attentive staff. Grounds are marvellous, rooms are brilliant. Big, and I mean BIG TV in the room, although choice of channels is limited.

Ironging board, and trouser press in the room. big bed.

Lovely little touch of having to put a toy horse outside the door to be used as a "do not disturb" sign.

Food is good.

Stayed in a room that was next to a building site though. The hotel is extending at the moment, so if you stay, make sure you book a room overlooking the lake! Wasn't nice to be woken up at 7:30am with construction traffic, diggers, lorries etc - especially when you went to bed at 4:20am.....

Brilliant for exploring the New Forest as the hotel literally is in the middle of it. Great for walks, and to feel special.

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member Smiths1111

Superb hotel in the heart of the new forest. If you like cycling, take your bikes as there are cycle and walking tracks from the hotel driveway. The staff were brillant, the rooms lovely and the food was sensational. Menu was slightly limited but the restaurant was able to accommodate us. The quality of the food and service is similar to that of Claridges - it really is a treat. We will stay there again soon.

Comments