3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Tolik's Profile Photo

The Elmers Court Country Club

Unique Quality: A Barratt International Resort.

We spent wonderful week here swaping our timeshare week through the RCI.

More about Macdonald Elmers Court Hotel & Resort

I am not a prisoner!

by TripAdvisor Member Sandranne

We stayed two nights at Elmers Court near Lymington in July 2007 and while we have nothing adverse to say about either the accommodation or the breakfasts (we stayed b&b courtesy of Tesco clubcards deals) which were good, we were a bit confused about who the property was meant for! That's because the site comprises a posh main building and a number of two storey units dotted round the grounds. Some were intended for hotel guests but many more appeared to be timeshares. If you can recall Patrick McGoohan in "The Prisoner" in the 1960s, you'll get some idea of how we felt.

There's an excellent gym and dining room away from the main house and the grounds lead down to the Solent and are beautifully maintained. (I won't dwell on the groundsman using a chainsaw, up a tree, without any obvious protective gear.)

If you're going to the Isle of Wight, the ferry terminal is about 250 yards from the Hotel, so it's perfectly located for an early start.

Great Value, Great Facilities, Fantastic Grounds

by TripAdvisor Member chastoursdotcom

Known about Elmers Court for many years but never stayed as it was in the wrong part of the New Forest. Booked direct at 60 sovs a night for a Family suite which was amazing value....

The Hotel : Main hotel building is an old Manor house where only a few rooms are housed. We were housed in a suite in the grounds which are really self catering cottages which go from one bedroom to 3 bed houses. We had a the offer of a kitchenette but decided for the 2 bedroom as it had bunk beds and the kids wanted that. I'd only suggest taking the same room if kids are small as the beds were tiny...not the hotels fault mind. The fixtures were a good 4 star standard apart from the storage space...one wardrobe is a tad tight.

The Indoor spa has everything you want and was only busy once for our stay. In with the Spa is a bar brasserie which was very quiet although they had a pound a pint offer on. Happy Days !!

The Grounds of the hotel are amazing...tennis, Giant chess, a good playground, bikes, pitch and put and a putting course were all well kept and i should imagine the outdoor pool is top drawer in the summer.

The Hotel is right next door to the IOW ferry which is very handy for the train that runs every half hour into Lymington town (as someone else handily put) but also ten minutes into Brockenhurst which is where we usually stay and is a very special place. An Italian in Il Palio and a few drinks in the Forresters is a great night...

The Wagon and Horses which is just past the ferry terminal has Live music and serves a nice pint. In Lymington itself there is a Cafe Uno which is good at what it does and a couple of very nice pubs...The Ship on the Quay and The Angel on the High Street.

All in all its a bargain place if you can get it at 100 quid or under...or just use your Tesco vouchers. Its not actually IN the New Forest which is our only real downside although with the Train being so close it is the next best place with much better facilities.

Go There

Beautiful - watch the surcharges.

by TripAdvisor Member viksSouthAfrica

After reading other people's reveiws here I was a bit nervous BUT we were pleasantly suprised.
After a long flight and a long drive it started to rain and the ferry road was closed which added another 30-45minutes onto the drive to find the hotel. Everything nearby is old and small and very rural so we didnt know what to expect but what we finally arrived to was great.
It was like an oasis, we were upgraded to a 2 Bed 2 Bath unit (we were supposed to get a studio) Everything was warm and cozy and well loved, the staff were friendly and helpful and the resturant onsite served delicious food.
I used the laundry room once and was dissapointed that no-one knew how long my 30 minute load of washing would take to finish (note it takes 1hour45min at 60degrees) but I was glad the washing machine and dryer were so big and I only had to do 2 loads.
We hired a car but ended up taking the train to London twice and the train station is only 300 yards from Elmers Court.
Our room was in the Manor House and had a kitchen fitted with a fridge, freezer, dishwasher, oven and small appliances. We were very impressed.
The only thing we found DISSAPOINTING was the extra charges, Electricity and heating was extra (36 POUNDS in total for one week in winter) and phone calls to toll free numbers were charged at 1.50 POUNDS each. Thats the only reason I have not rated it EXCELLENT.

Butlins would have been a better choice!

by TripAdvisor Member Sichal

We booked this hotel at the last minute for saturday night as we were going to a birthday meal locally on the sunday. When searching for a hotel in lymington on the net I came across the Elmers court and thought good position and close to town I was sold on the fact that it had an outdoor pool as clearly displayed and promoted on the hotels website. As the weather was forcast to be hot and sunny I thought perfect with the two children, a relaxing afternoon by the pool was looming. Maybe pop into lymington or hop on the ferry to yarmouth for dinner in the evening, what could be better. The website showed a large historical looking and very impressive building set beside the solent. What could be better so I booked online and at 234 pounds thought this place looks immpresive and has all the plus points to justify the cost. How wrong I was! Arriving at the hotel driving along the approach to the grand looking building it had a wow factor, that was to be about the only feature i can honeslty say was even close to impressive. I checked in and as in another review below we were shown on a map where to go, off we went to our room which was located in a courtyard with numerous other self catering style buildings. The room was ok but I started to think, no more wow factor here. We dumped our bags and then cheerily went off to check out the outdoor pool as the weather was hot and sunny, the children were looking forward to an afternoon of swimming and playing by the pool. To our complete disapointment and astonishment the pool area was closed and the pool was drained. Feeling conned and angry at the fact that we had just paid 234 pounds to stay in a hotel on the basis that it had an outdoor pool I went back to reception to ask what had happened to the pool. Upon speaking to the receptionist who just insisted on saying that the pool was closed offering all the customer care skills of a spitting cobra (bearing in mind I always make a point of complaining in a cheery and polite way, as you don't get anywhere by being aggressive or abusive) I then asked to speak to the manager. When the manager arrived he was very polite and explained that the pool was closed for repairs at the moment. I explained that I had booked the hotel on strength that it had an outdoor pool as advertised on the website, his reponse was that he had no control over the website and that it was dealt with by his head office. When I suggested that maybe it would be an idea to advertise the fact that the pool was closed on the website he just chuckled and said it was out of his control!! I also told him that I originally planned to go to Swanage and spend a day at the beach but due to the hotels facilities and location I opted for the Elmers court to save on the drive explaining how gutted I was and that I wished I had gone with my plan A. Feeling I was not getting any where I thought oh well just get on with the stay and make the most of it. The food at the hotel was poor, no orange juice for the children at the bar as they had run out! I had ordered two tuna sandwiches for the children at lunchtime when they arrived no tuna to be seen only two limp looking cucumber sandwiches on the plate. The service at the hotel was not helped as most of the staff appeared to be eastern european with variying levels of spoken english. ( I have no issue with workers from this part of europe as they are generally polite and helpful, if they cant even speak good english it must say something about the macdonald recruitment process, obviously as bad as their hotels)Breakfast was a very bad attempt at buffet style! I have stayed at hotels at a fraction of the cost and had good service and good food. I think I would have been better off booking into a 50 pound b&b locally than staying at this place. If you are planning on staying here unless you can get a deal at 100 pounds a night don't bother there are loads of quality hotels within a 5 mile radius this certainly is't one of them. Oh by the way you feel like you are staying in a timeshare style butlins camp, this is certainly not a Hotel!!!!!!!!!

could not fault it!

by TripAdvisor Member terrym153

my wife & I booked a Sauturday night using Tesco vouchers & stayed last Sat, April 21.
Location is superb, Lymington centre is within walking distance.
Room was clean & comfortable..plenty of tea, coffee & milk, which is not always the case!
Did not dine in hotel, but breakfast was good..excellent choice of fruits & crereals in adition to cooked items.
Staff were helpful & polite..we will certainly plan to return!

Was better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member luv2holidayinthesun

I booked this hotel as a very last minute reservation, and did not read the reviews on this hotel until after the booking had been made. I was actually thinking about cancelling it, as the reviews were not good. However the price I paid of £50 for the room including breakfast swayed me to go ahead. I phoned central reservations the day before and asked for any last minute rates.
The hotel is a very impressive 1800's building with a beautiful driveway and well kept grounds around it. The reception is not particularly pleasing, but the staff treated me with respect and were helpful and polite.
As mentioned in other reviews the majority of the accommodation is away from the main building in modern type lodges, some of which are RCI timeshare. Although initially this put me off, once settled in the room I was quite impressed. We had room 16 and would say any rooms along this block would be fine. (rooms 15-21) . We were on the ground floor of a 2 storey block, which was great as you were able to open large patio doors which looked out over the grounds. The room was tidy and had a seating area with 2 chairs and large double bed. Bath with shower and usual amenities.
The grounds were spectacular, which looked out over the sea to where the isle of wight ferry came in. Lots of boats to look at. There is a great heated outside pool, putting, bowling green, tennis courts (which i was a bit put out that we had to pay £4.00 to play), excellent indoor pool with sauna and steam room, well equipped gym and sports bar.
We did not eat at the hotel in evening, but there was an excellent choice for breakfast.
Anyone looking for a wedding venue would be hard pushed to find a nicer setting.
Overall I felt this was great value for money, and although initially I was upset that we were not staying in the main building, the location of our room could not be faulted.

Everything you need close at hand

We'd read reports about the hotel but visited for a weekend with an open mind.

Initial impressions were good, the main hotel building is staggering beautiful, and the hotel gardens immaculate with fabulous views down from the house to the Solent.

The chalet style accommodation much of it timeshared we had heard described as being like Centre Parks. Well we've never been to Centre Parks but if they're like this then we'd be happy! The layout is cool and relaxed; the whole place has a feeling of a smart, relaxed Mediterranean resort mixed with smart British style and tradition. Swimming outside in the late evening August sun thanks to a beautiful heated pool was certainly something I didn't think was possible.

We stayed in a very spacious executive suite apartment which was very well appointed with small kitchenette, breakfast area, tea/coffee, sink, iron, kettle etc. There was a huge double bed (2 singles), TV with only 5 channels..., and well fitted bathroom. The decor was typical British regal style and was a pleasing contrast given the chalet environment. It looked at little worn in places and certainly some areas simply hadn't been cleaned for ages, spider’s webs around the tops of doors but overall the standard was high and we had to look hard to find any real fault. The shower was extra powerful and rinsed your hair in an instant!

The sports facilities were good. We sampled a massage and sought peace in their relaxation room however this was shattered when 3 workmen decided they needed something from a store cupboard so they proceeded to open the fire exit door, let in a stream of sunlight and then traipsed through several times to fetch what they wanted from the other end. Not exactly relaxing and no apology was forthcoming. One young pool attendant was very friendly however the rest seemed somewhat nonchalant and abrupt which ruined the feeling slightly, very keen to wield power in order to verify our credentials as guests. The indoor pool was clean, quiet and well finished with lots of wood panelling. The steam room was out of action and the sauna area just looked a bit too dingy to warrant a visit, a refurb around this area was long overdue. The gym itself looked very well equipped, modern and quiet although we didn't find time to use it. The outdoor pool was dominated by screaming children in the day so for any adults wanting a peaceful swim you had to time your moment, either early morning or late evening. Once you'd made the effort though it was worth it, the water was lovely, warm and refreshing. As for getting a sun bed well the usual get up at 6am to put your towel out rules seemed to apply.

The restaurant was formal dining and both evenings we dressed to that effect and did not feel out of place. The atmosphere was a little flat and a little soft music in the bar would have done much to lift it, instead the restaurant speakers were tuned to what I imagine was Classic FM! So we dined listening to people on the radio talking which didn't help the atmosphere! Staff again were courteous and polite, if a little overbearing and insincere at times. Cleanliness was good though and the table seating on our first evening was by a window with lovely views. The food itself seemed to be a mixture of fresh homemade food mixed with wholesale bought or frozen goods. For example one seafood starter used fresh Grav Lax Salmon but was accompanied by small cheap frozen prawns, one desert was clearly a home made parfait yet another was obviously a purchased wholesale pudding warmed up. This was a shame. If the fine quality cannot be reflected in all dishes across all courses then why bother? Simply have a lesser menu. On the whole the food was a cut above a Beefeater and all meat dishes ordered were well presented and cooked exactly. If only the same could be said for the vegetables, mange tout should be crispy not soggy!

The food at breakfast seemed to vary and standards quickly slipped on our second day when a busy sitting through them into confusion. For example a waiter taking your order at 9.45am for a cooked breakfast looking at his watch stating yes there is still time to order when you've been sat there for 15mins and breakfast goes on until 10am isn't good service and doesn't make you feel welcome or relaxed. What was labelled as freshly squeezed orange juice lived up to its name the first day but on the second busy day it was clearly replenished with concentrated juice. The maitre de appeared to have no handle on the situation, appearing reluctant to take basic control of things, staff were left to flounder and a state of confusion reigned. Food standards were good though, eggs were cooked perfectly and the buffet selection was vast and of good quality.

We'd definitely go back and if you can overcome the slips in some of the staff's attitude (mostly the English members of staff) then you'll enjoy your stay in this lovely location. Do go and have a fun, relaxing time.

The Elmers Court

by Tolik

"Introduction"

Elmers Court is at the edge of the New Forest, an area of unspoiled natural beauty yet only 145km from London. The main house is a fine example of Tudor architecture with elegant oak paneled lounges and bar. Its extensive grounds overlook the Solent and Lymington River, an area known worldwide for exciting sailing. A Leisure Center includes an indoor swimming pool, a children's pool, whirlpool spa, sauna, steam room, gymnasium, snooker room, restaurant and bar.

"Origins"

The main house was built in 1820. Originally called "the Elms" it is mentioned in the book "The Country Houses of Hampshire" and played a major part in the social and political history of Lymington during the 1800's.

"The Whitalkers"

In 1875 it was purchases by Mr. James Whitalker, who also owned Pylewell Park. Mr. Whitaker was MP and JP and it is thought that "The Elms" was used as a local Courthouse. With the help of Hampshire dialect it was not long before "The Elms" was being referred to as "Elmers Court" and so it it's new identity was born.

"XX century"

The estate remained in the Whitaker Family until the early 1930's when it was taken over by Middlesex Country Council for use as a school for delicate children (asthmatic etc.).

"World War II"

In the 1940's it was taken over by the War Office for use as an Electronic and Communication Center by American and Canadian Forces to coordinate the D-day landing. During this time it was used also as a Spy School, training the famous British spy "Odette".

"R&R"

After invasion the Forces were established in France and the Elmers Court became Rest and Relaxation Center for American and Canadian Forces.

"With Barratt International"

At the end of hostilities, Elmers Court was returned to the Middlesex Councel. In the April 1986 the property was purchased by Barrat International Resorts.

The Elmers Court