Christchurch Road, New Milton, Hampshire BH25

Costs 60% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Chewton Glen

Perfection

by TripAdvisor Member PLayer21

I was stayed at Chewton Glen for a long weekend during the summer and was the best man at my friends wedding.

The place is amazing and it seemed that every little detail was covered. Being the Best Man you have always got to keep an eye on the ball to make sure that everything goes according to plan and the staff at CG made my job a breeze. The whole event was seamless.

The room was incredible and I could not fault any part of my visit. It is expensive, but I did not mind paying the rates because it was faultless.

As soon as I have got some spare cash I will be going back there again.

This hotel is a bargain

by TripAdvisor Member TauntonDiamond

My wife and I have stayed at Chewton Glen on 3 occasions and are going back again on 20th May. Every trip for us has been perfect and we are looking forward to the refurbished lounge which has just been finished. Most of what can be said about this wonderful hotel has already been spoken, but as a return vistor may I offer the following.
A. If you can, opt for one of the better rooms. The "bronze" is OK but I found mine a bit small, but we were on a budget that time.
B. The cooked breakfasts are amazing. Find room in your tummy for one. The extra they charge for the cooked version is well worth it (£5.00 from memory). In fact its the only hotel I've ever been to where the supplement has been worth the cost. Its not the size, just simply the quality and the way they make it.
Its true that the hotel is expensive, but expense has nothing to do with value. I think the hotel is a bargain considering the service, food, facilities and all the rest that the visitor receives,
Mark Welch. Taunton. UK

Peacefully Out in the Country

by TripAdvisor Member Rocket88

We stayed at the Chewton Glen for 2 nights in August, 2006 and this is what we observed:

-This is one of the few places in the world that couples 5 star accommodations with a 5 star restaurant. For this they get big bucks. If you think that 300-400-500-600+ GBP is outrageous for an overnight stay you shouldn't be considering this hotel.

-The hotel is not the easiest to find (which is a blessing). It is located out in the countryside so it is best to use the written directions provided by the hotel.

-The restaurant served one of the best meals we have ever had. Again, the pricing is upper-end but we thought it was worth it. There are other moderately-priced restaurants and pubs in the nearby villages just a few minutes away if you want to average down your meals cost. But, at the very least, you should eat at the hotel restaurant at least one night during your stay. It will be memorable.

-The hotel says publicly that jackets are required in the dining room but they will allow, as I and others did, the wearing of a just a long-sleeved shirt or sweater.

-The hotel grounds are very well maintained but I wouldn't spend anything extra for a room with a garden view versus a room with a view from the front of the hotel.

-There is a 9-hole golf course on the property but it is not championship calibre and is really more of a diversion for the guests than a reason for booking a stay at the hotel.

-One oddity we noticed was that the rooms are air-conditioned but the hallways and check-in areas are not.

-The management seemed quick to fix the slightest problem. When our cocktails at dinner had not been served in 5 minutes or so we asked the captain to check on that for us. Within 2 minutes our drinks were delivered with compliments of the house.

-The hotel can arrange private transportation to Southampton pier, Brighton, Winchester, Heathrow and elsewhere.

-The hotel does some small but memorable.things when you check out. Where else in the world does the hotel offer you chocolate cookies for your "journey" when leaving? Or offer to wash your car windows? These things will never justify the cost of a hotel stay but you leave the place with those pleasant memories fresh in your mind.

I look forward to staying there again.

great hotel and service - poor spa

by TripAdvisor Member scottjbr

Stayed one night to celebrate a wedding anniversary. Thought the inclusive price of 440pds per night (with bfast and evening meal) was steep but was assured this was britains best spa after having a $10 million refurbishment. The room was small but immaculate and opened out onto beautiful gardens. Staff and service were excellent, and the highlight was the evening meal - probably the best food I have ever tasted. Really disapointed by the spa - seemed to have put lots of money into putting lights that changed colors in the ceiling, and big chunks of quartz in the steam room. Completely let down by ... no cold plunge pool for steam/suana - really luke warm water in the hydrotherapy unit. no where to have a soak in hot water!!!. The hotel Gellert in Budapest blows this place away and it costs about 3pounds to use the spa, with about 8 pools with different water temps, and it is a natural spring water spa, not chlorinated tap water!... still a lovely stay and enjoyed using the free montain bikes to cycle down to the coast

Tired old clip-joint!

by TripAdvisor Member racingred55

Having booked a junior suite overlooking the gardens some 4 weeks previously, I was disappointed to receive a call 2 days before we were due to arrive, informing me that the hotel had messed up the booking and that we now were to have a 'courtyard' (i.e., basement!) suite. As no goodwill gesture was offered to compensate for this, I decided to ask for one, and was told that 'some champagne and chocolates would be put in the room'.

On arrival (following the hotel's useless directions) the place was like Victoria Station - a very drunken, obnoxious lunch party were crowding the reception area, and we were shown to the 'suite' - it felt like a 10 minute walk thru a warren of creaky, dim corridors, up and down stairs, until we finally got to 'suite' 83 - a stuffy, dingy room with threadbare, tatty furniture.

A pot of tea was brought, with tea spilt on the tray. I had foolishly thought bthat the tea was a welcoming gesture (having driven 90 miles to get there), but it was charged at a staggering £12!!

We went down to the bar, to find that the drunken coach party had by now left, and ordered what was quite a decent little lunch - sandwiches, a bottle of wine, 1 tea, 1 coffee = GBP81. What spoiled it totally was 2 groups of loud mouthed, yobbish people (maybe there was a Geezer's Convention going on?) whose conversation was peppered with extremely foul uncouth language. My girlfriend and I are certainly no prudes but this was unpleasant in the extreme. Dial in the fact that they were all in jeans and training shoes.....you get the picture.

Back to the basement to rest and prepare for dinner...decided to leave the next day (a day early), and phoned the assistant manager to inform her of our disappointment. The usual meaningless platitudes, and we decided to leave then and there - the prospect of having to dine with the drunken geezers was to me worse than the prospect of a 90 mile drive back to London in heavy rain!

A conversation with the manager today (the next day) resulted in the bill for lunch being voided. As usual, there was no excuse given for the drunken yobboes in the bar - 'at Christmas you get a lot of people who have had too much to drink' - he didn't seem to understand that a competent manager would have gone and had a quiet word with them for the sake of the other guests. I'm sure a host of jobsworths would have jumped on me if I'd had the temerity to light a cigar in one of the many non-smoking areas! Needless to say we won't be returning.

By the way, the 'goodwill gesture' - a half bottle of cheap champagne and a small box of chocs - eventually arrived, the same as delivered to every room!

Summary: A country house hotel for people who have never been to a country house. Owner, management and staff should visit a few similar establishments in Switzerland or France to learn how the country house hotel 'thing' should be done, maybe taking a few of their guests with them for the education. Avoid!!

Comments