2 Malvern Rd, Portsmouth, PO52NA, United Kingdom

Booking.com Orbitz.com Priceline.com

• Boutique Hotel in Portsmouth

An absolutely amazing hotel with individually designed bedrooms, exceptional personal service (breakfast made totally to order) and in a fab location. Just a short walk to Southsea Town Centre and the seafront.

Unique Quality: Restored Edwardian house
    Individually designed bedrooms using luxury fittings
    Cosy lounge-bar

Directions: Situated just back from Southsea seafront

More about Florence House Hotel

A very nice LONG stay at the Florence House

by TripAdvisor Member Canadians-in-UK

We stayed at the Florence House for a month (August 24th-September 21st)! Yes, you've heard right, a month! We actually moved to Portsmouth from Canada and while waiting for our flat to be ready, we needed a place to stay. After a lot of searching, we decided to go with the Florence House and we were not disappointed. First of all, the location is great. We are only minutes (walk) from Palmerston Rd, Osborne St, Albert St and only a few meters away from the sea. If you want to walk to Old Portsmouth or Gunwharf Quays, it will take you about 25 minutes. If you don't want to walk, there are many buses right around the corner. Secondly, as far as the hotel goes, it is also great. It is brand new (2 years) and the sister house (the hotel across the street) is only a few months old. The houses and the rooms are beautifully decorated. Probably one of the nicest decorations I have ever seen actually. Each room has its own feel. During our stay, because of earlier bookings made by other guests, we had to change rooms a few times and it was really fun actually. We got to enjoy many of them. All rooms have either a shower or a bath. As North Americans, we are not really used to baths, I think, as we use the showers more often, so if it's the kind of thing that might bother you, ask for a room with a shower. Thirdly, breakfast is included and if you can't find anything you like on the menu, then you are very picky! There are the usual fresh fruit, cereals, toasts but also full cooked English breakfast or any kind of mixture you would like (omelets, sandwiches, smoked salmon and bagel, etc.). Also, if Internet is necessary for you (it was for me), they offer free wireless connection. You won't be able to connect in all the rooms, but you can use the living area or the dining room. Daniel, Jody and Vicky were nice enough to put up with me spending afternoons in the dining area.

One downside is that if you stay at the Somerset House (the sister hotel), which is absolutely great by the way, you'll have to cross the street and ring the doorbell to go have your breakfast at the Florence House. For a day or two, I guess it would have been OK, but after a few weeks, we were a little tired of having to do that. Also, we found the prices for rooms a bit high, and each room has a different price, so if you have to switch room during your stay for some reason, make sure you get the price first.

Overall, our stay at the Florence House was absolutely great! Our hosts were really nice. They are young and fitted well with what we were looking for. We needed a place where we would be comfortable for a long time and at the Florence House, we were.

Elegence and great style at the Florence Hotel..

by TripAdvisor Member Gazza_65

What can I say , only initially wanted to stay one night but very glad decided to stay for two nights...

Warm friendly greeting from the word go.

You know that feeling you have when you've been at work all week slogging your guts out and you get home,sit down and give that sigh of relief......well if your ever in Portsmouth make sure you book a night or more at this very stylish hotel for that,finished for the week satisfying sigh of relief.

The minute my partner and me arrived it was bliss each room is different from each other,not like boring old travel lodge same room in each room,this was bliss....lovely en suite room with a spa bath,just enough room for two!

Very very clean and well kept and the new Somerset House Hotel just across the road was even better (if thats possible)
Daniel (the owner) and the rest of the staff couldn't do enough for us nothing was a bother,its no wonder they are fully booked almost all year around( as I found out when went to book for Jan 2007)

The service was outstanding we only stayed for bed and breakfast and have to say the food was excellent with a wide choice to suite every taste.

I cant recomend this hotel enough definately staying there again soon.

My parther left her coat in the room by mistake,the contacted us and sent it in the post with no charge.....where else would you get that sort of customer care ???

Thanks again a very satisfied customer...

Disappointing, Argumentative Management, Overpriced, Cramped Room

by TripAdvisor Member sue2006bb

Had a miserable stay as room was small and cramped - lived off floor. Booked through English Tourist Board brochure then had manager quote website terms and conditions to me during stay. Manager fails to take ANY responsibility - everything is guest's fault - see his replies to other unfavourable reviews!

If you look at the hotel's website and book you will be disappointed - the hotel ABSOLUTELY does NOT have a spa bath in every room - but how can you tell?

I feel I was mislead by description of boutique hotel, paid too much for what I got and was treated rudely by the argumentative owner/manager - I wouldn't return to a hotel like this at any price.

Overall what I was most annoyed about was the attitude of the owner - why do people like that think they make good hotel owners? - he cleary doesn't like customers unless they are meek sheep to be fleeced.

Summary: Over priced, over-rated, self-aggrandised.

Florence House was Fabulous!

by TripAdvisor Member Kelly1814

Just returned to Manchester after a long weekend at the Florence House Hotel. What a gorgeous place! Our room was beautiful, purple and sumptuous, and the bathroom was great. We didn't have a bath, just an enormous shower so if a bath is important to you, might be worth asking for one. Staff were lovely and the breakfast was delicious. A refreshing change from the dire B&B's which Portsmouth seems to offer in abundance. I travel to Portsmouth frequently, and will certianly be staying here again.

Avoid the standard rooms unless you are a single occupier

by TripAdvisor Member starbuck3

The owner was very friendly and helpful prior to our stay. He did say that we would receive a free upgrade if a better room was available when we arrived. Upon arrival we were given our room key. We asked what floor the room was on and he simply said there are only six rooms! We were not shown to our room and an upgrade was not mentioned. The room was so small. The wardrobe was half of a normal sized wardrobe and there was only room for one bedside table. There was only a shower (no bath which we were expecting) in the bathroom and there was no heating in there whatsoever. This was really uncomfortable because of the tiled floor, which made it feel even colder. I immediately went downstairs to ask whether all the rooms were occupied, in the hope of being moved. The owner said that there were some rooms available that night, but they were all booked for the Saturday night, so we could have a bigger room for the first night but we would need to move for the second. As you can imagine I did not really want to do this.

Before we went out that evening I spoke to Jodie who was on reception and asked her if there had been some mistake with our room and was it definitely a double. I said it was so small and there was hardly any wardrobe space - we had to put our coats on the floor. She said no mistake - that was there standard room!

Had I realised that the local pub (which I appreciate the hotel have no control over) would, on three separate occasions, omit loud drunken people who loved to shout - waking us up each and every time in the early hours of the morning, I would have moved without hesitation - even if only for one night.

In the event the large room just up the stairs from us remained empty for both the Friday and Saturday, so we could have been moved. No explanation was given to us as to why we were not offered this room and there was plenty of opportunity for the owner to explain what was going on. Had it been offered to us on the Saturday we would definitely have taken it, as we were dreading another sleepless night with the people leaving the pub drunk.

The manager was in the kitchen when we left on the Sunday morning, so I had no opportunity to mention the matter to him but when I came home I rang him immediately. He said that it had been my choice not to take another room the first night. I said well you did not offer it to us immediately and it was me who had to come down and mention it to you when I saw the size of the room. He said he would happily have moved us but I can assure you this is not the impression he gave. He is not a friendly personable individual and although he can renovate a property extremely well and has good taste regarding decor, I do not think he has the personality to run a hotel business.

On the plus side, the hotel is very clean and has been refurbished to a high standard. The breakfast is very good and Jodie is an asset to Florence House.

Stay here by all means but under no circumstances book a standard room, unless you are travelling alone and don't mind a cold bathroom.

The owner did explain on the phone that the people who had booked the larger did not turn up on the Saturday. He had considered moving our things when we were out during the day, but had decided against it. However, when we came back in the early evening on the Saturday he never mentioned the opportunity of moving to us!

I also hurt my knee very badly on the wooden corner of the bed - there was so little space.

Fantastic Florence House

by TripAdvisor Member Bethp15

Have just spent a wonderful weekend at the Florence House Hotel and would recommend it to anyone! The hotel is beautifully decorated and our french style room was gorgeous! The Staff are extremely friendly - particularly Jody. The breakfast was lovely too!!

I would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the area and will definitely be returning soon myself!!

Warm friendly from the moment we arrived

by TripAdvisor Member iancrangle

With great pleasure that I write a few lines recommending the Florence House Hotel, We stayed at the hotel last week for 5 nights although it was supposed to be a sight seeing trip due to the weather we spent more time in the hotel, this would normally be a bore however the staff made us feel at home. Little things go a long way, making conversation, recommending activities, and of course making a great cup of tea all these came across so natural and have a genuine interest in us. The place was clean throughout and a perfect place to stay in Portsmouth, we will be back in October and we don’t care if it rains (again).
Thank you to all the staff and especially Jody

Ian and Jo Crangle Estepona Spain

Brilliant Boutique Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Miniwidow

6 of us recently returned from a 2 night stay at Florence House hotel. We all had rooms in Somerset House which is their new hotel directly opposite Florence House.

As we make a bit of hobby of staying in some of the larger trendy boutique hotels ( Hotel du Vin, Malmaison etc) I was a bit unsure how a small independant would measure up. Have to say I wasn't disappointed & will certainly be going back to stay.

This is a lovely boutique hotel, in what I think is a large Victorian style semi. Each room is decorated to a different theme & equipped to a very high standard. Our rooms either had bath or shower though not both. My husband & I stayed in room 5 a contemporarily decorated room ( Subtle greens & browns) in the eves at the top of the house ( Wouldn't have done for 1 member of our party who was 6ft 8" tall, but another member was 6ft 1" & had no problems in room 6 next to ours).

Our Room had all the usual TV , tea & coffee, hairdryer etc. We were fortunate to have a jacuzzi bath which was huge in our bathroom & a small sitting area with sofa. Bed was very comfy & pillows, duvet & bedlinen of good quality. The hotel is located in a quiet side street just off from the sea front at Southsea end. It's a residential area so very quiet. There is a small local pub literary within a a minutes stagger of the hotel & several restaurants about 15 minute stroll away. Parking is mostly on street, but the hotel gives you voucher & they do have a couple of spaces off road too.

The staff are very friendly & couldn't do enough to help. None of us could fault breakfast which was all cooked to order ..the smoked salmon & scrambled egg bagel was a particular favourite! ( oh you have to walk across the street to Florence House for breakfast).

The hotel also runs a small restaurant from Somerset House. Again food was good & service excellant. Food was a from a fixed price menu at £30 head for 3 courses ( Maybe a tad overpriced, but perhaps justified by the exclusiveness of the restaurant & service). This is an excellant venue for small parties like ours.

Its hard to find fault that is worthy of writing down. Only 2 very minor things: our room wasn't serviced after the first night ( don't know if this is policy or oversight & to be honest we weren't bothered by this enough to mention it, though others might) & 2nd our neighbours ( also from our party) couldn't run a bath whilst I was filling the jacuzzi ..not a problem for me , & undoubtably a water pressure thing... oh & there wasn't a bath mat ( that really shows how much I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel...we just used one of the handtowels).

All in all a great independant that would really appeal to those who love a bit of luxury, but would rather not have the facelessness of a bigger chain.

disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Kazzfer

After reading reviews was looking forward to a short stay in this hotel. I also looked at the website and everything looked very good. We were based in Somerset House and I agree with other reviewers about the decor - nice and modern and a cut above the usual bed and breakfast. However, we paid for a deluxe room and found it quite small - especially the bathroom. Having said that the decoration was lovely, the bathroom fittings modern and spotlessly clean and I was pleased with l'occitane toiletries! The TV was a small portable set up on a bracket in a very high corner of the room - difficult to see the picture clearly and had to stand on tiptoes to get a DVD in the slot. Having read the reviews I was expecting a personal touch which I did not get - we were shown over to Somerset House and then left to our own devices - it was like being in an annexe, we only saw staff when we went over to Florence House for breakfast. The communal areas at Somerset were dark, cold and unused. The breakfast was EXCELLENT and lots of choice but because all guests from both sites were eating in one place there was a bit of a backlog on the Sunday and we had to wait half an hour in the lounge (despite guests being asked to indicate a preferred time for breakfast). Very disappointed that the restaurant was closed despite the menu being displayed on the website.

Comments