Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2LX, United Kingdom
Booking.com Orbitz.com ibis

Satisfaction Average

More about Ibis Portsmouth Centre

My closet is slightly bigger than these rooms..

by TripAdvisor Member l_wittstock

This hotel almost ruined my trip! If it weren't for my wonderful friends over there I would have hopped on the next flight back home.

Myself and my two travel companions made reservations at the hotel, and we were told we would be able to fit three people into one room. Little did we know that after 20+ hours of travelling that we would be refused by the extremely rude front desk clerk. She claimed that it was "impossible" and didn't even offer any sort of sympothy to us. She mentioned that the hotel was sold out, as was the rest of the city due to a convention. She just stuck a map at us and said we could still check in the room but one of us would have to go to a bed and breakfast on the opposite end of town. (Portsmouth is quite large) Ticked off, we checked in.

When we went up to the room, I could see why 3 people couldn't fit into the room...I didn't even know how 2 people would be able to fit. The room consists of two (less than) twin size beds pushed together, and the bathroom reminded me of an airplane's lavatory.

Luckily, the only reason we were in Portsmouth was to visit a friend of mine, and he found a wonderful bed and breakfast that was only 4 pounds more per night, and the bathroom was the size of the hotel room at the Ibis. I will never stay there again.

basic but adequate

by TripAdvisor Member wessie01

I use this hotel from time to time. It has an excellent location for my regular trips to visit family. Gunwharf Quays, Guildhall, the train station and shopping centre are a short walk. The University and the concomitant student pubs etc are nearby too.

Yes, the rooms are basic and there can be noise from the traffic & students. If you want peace & quiet then you will have to pay 50% extra to stay in the Hilton etc.

Don't bother with the overpriced restaurant. Take advantage of the many nearby pubs who have great deals targetting the student market. If you don't want loud music then head for Wetherspoons next to the Guildhall. For breakfast, cross the road and buy something from Greggs the baker.

Motorcyclists especially, might like to note that the car park is behind a security fence.

Ulra modern Ulta small rooms

by TripAdvisor Member HappyWonderer_7

I have just stayed at the Ibis hotel at Portsmouth on the 23rd of this month. It is not the first time i have stayed at a Ibis but it well be the last. I booked two twin rooms for myself and three friends,had we put the two rooms together we would have made one decent size room. The beds where like boards and where very narrow, not the regular single size. The size of the room was very small, but the bathroom was tiny, near the size of a aircraft toilet. The hotel reception and bar area are both clean and ulta modern and so is the restaurant, but when you go down in the morning you find thay only serve continental breakfast. I stayed at a Ibis in London before which was a very good hotel but my credit card was cloned, luckerly i was covered by credit card insurance so this time i paid by cash for the two rooms and because i paid by cash i had to show my driving licence. All in all i have not had very good experiences with Ibis hotels and i do not think i will be staying at the one in Portsmouth again.

Nice if you like a dorm room

by TripAdvisor Member gergone

I stayed here one night for business. The hotel is conveniently located in the city center. The lobby is clean, fair sized with a little flair, but very basic. The room was okay. The bed is a low value matress, no box spring. The bathroom is tiny. My room had a porthole over the toilet which, if left open would give you one sore head when you got up. Towels were minimal, reminescent of sand paper. I'd like to say it is to be expected with a less expensive hotel, but by my tastes, it is expensive accommodations for minimal provisions. You won't be disappointed, but you certainly won't be pleased.

Speechless!

by TripAdvisor Member Katherine52

This "hotel" is the worst I have experienced. The beds were 2ft wide.
The room was very small, nowhere to put suitcases or anything. The shower room was not large enough to dry yourself after a shower.... I
could go on but what's the point. The car park is not large enough for all guests so be warned. If you want a space get back early. Never again.

Excellent overnight stop

by TripAdvisor Member SteveLlanelli

When I review hotels that I’ve stayed in I sometimes get the feeling that some other reviewers must have stayed in a different hotel. I stayed at the Portsmouth Ibis on a business trip in September, having travelled on the cross channel ferry. If you come off a cross channel ferry late at night, feeling tired and in need of an overnight stop then what more do you need. This is a two star hotel after all and you do get value for money. The hotel is modern, well located, easy to find and has secure overnight parking. The reception and bar staff were pleasant, keen and very helpful. The continental breakfast was fine and more than adequate. The rooms are typical Ibis, but as usual , well prepared and very clean and tidy. The one thing that does however baffle me about this chain and as part of a major group, why not just bite the bullet and install hairdryers in the bathrooms!

Cheap & Cheerful!

by TripAdvisor Member z1ppy

This hotel is cheap and cheerful!

For £62 a night its good value and is conveniently located for walking to Commercial Road (shopping), Albert Road and Gunwharf Quays (shopping and nights out). Oh and you also get secure FREE parking thrown into the deal too!

The staff were very friendly and efficient. The bar area is bright and spacious with newpapers, magazines, books and board games to help entertain you.

The bedroom was small and reasonably clean but the ensuite was tiny. Both the bedroom and ensuite were very tired and could do with a spruce up.

All in all its good value for money and I would use this hotel again next time I am in Portsmouth.

Basic

by TripAdvisor Member lucylucy25

Very small and basic rooms! No bath only shower and only one pillow on the bed (there were 2 of us!!?) Scruffy and a bit dirty looking, with a view over council estates- I would say for the price there are other much nicer places to stay.

Bar reception area very nice though.

Great location but dirty, filthy, depressing room

by TripAdvisor Member Armins girl

We wanted to stay in a cheap, central location in Portsmouth and had stayed in the brand new Ibis in Bristol a couple of weeks before. We thought we couldnt go wrong by staying in another one. How wrong we were.

At £57 it was cheap and the lcoation was good - about 10-15 minutes walk from town and free car parking in a locked car park for residents.

Unofrtunately, the room was awful, really old and drab and the bathroom was disgusting with mouldy bits around the edge of a tiny shower. In fact the bathroom was filthy and in complete contrast to the one in Bristol.

The corridors had this hideous white & turquoise bubbly stuff from the 70's. The bar was ok but the restaurant offered only a few snacks for dinner.

We paid extra for breakfast in the morning which was just Continental so a big disappointment. If I pay for breakfast I expect a cooked breakfast unless advised otherwise.

Be warned, whatever you age take ID if you want to go drinking in town. My husband and I are 31 and were refused entry to the Wetherspoons pub for not having ID - it was 6pm and we only wanted something to eat!!

Overall the location was good but I would never ever stay here again.

30 Years

by TripAdvisor Member BazzerBoy

Basic, convenient, small shower room, but in a good location for Portmouth night life and attractions. What else for £62 per night? It could do with a refurbishment.

The Royal George pub - LondonThe Royal George pub - London

London EyeLondon Eye

Which tube line is closed?Which tube line is closed?

London Sept 11, 2009London Sept 11, 2009

LHR Visas and Duty Fees for Transit Passengers

by ssagun

We are flying from Houston to Athens with a change in planes in London Heathrow Airport. All our tickets are on a standby basis. I have read online that visas are required by the UKBA (U.K. Border Agency) unless you can prove you are "in transit" and I'm not sure we have proof since we will fly standby and don't have a pre-purchased ticket. Anyone have experience with this? Also, it appears there is an 80 pound APD (air passenger duty) required for flights to USA and a 20 pound APD to Greece. Is this required on every part of the flight, meaning we will pay 100 pounds to get to Athens via London, and another 100 pounds to get back to Houston?

by travelmad478

What is your citizenship? If you are US citizens then there is no visa requirement.

Any airport fees are included in the ticket prices. You do not pay any fees at LHR when transiting the airport (same goes for ATH).

by leics

If you are US citizens then you do not need a visa to enter the UK.

If you are citizens of one of the countries on this list then you do:

If you have no onward ticket then you are not actually 'in transit'. You will have to pass through immigrations and customs, presumably, and then go to your Greek airline counter to sort out your tickst.

Thus you will be 'entering' the UK and you will need a visa if you are a citizen of one of the countries which require UK visas.

Greece is a Schengen country (the UK is not) and you may need a Schengen visa to enter. A list of those citizens who require a Schengen visa is here:

Yes, you will pay APD for both flights. It is included in the fares, I believe: it is not paid separately. So you will already have paid the 80 x 2 as part of your US>UK fares, and the 20 x 2 will be part of our UK>Greece fare.

by ssagun

This is my first post; thanks for the quick replies! We are US citizens but work for the airlines, so we have a voucher to fly to/from LHR-Athens on either British Airways or Olympic and we pay any fees/taxes separately at the airport since we aren't actually purchasing regular airline tickets. So it seems we will each pay a total of 100 pounds for the roundtrip flights. Thanks for reassuring me we don't need a UK visa -- after reading the UKBA website, I was just confused enough to think we did, and we don't need a visa for Greece as long as we stay less than 90 days. Thanks again!

Comments