Clarence Road, Southsea, Portsmouth, PO5 2LQ, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

• jo104's Profile Photo

Botique Hotel

Staying here was a wonderful luxurious experience, we were greeted by Laura who poured us a complimentary drink and had our bags whisked away to our room. The room itself was very romantic with a Victoria and Albert roll top freestanding bath in the room. The furnishings are black and white mirrored furniture and high quality bed linen. Swarovski lights over the bath with Aquavision tv so you can lie in the bath and watch one of their free movies or music.

The breakfast menu was extensive an all cooked to order, I had the full English both days and Fernando had the smoked salmon and poached eggs on muffins one morning and the smoked haddock the other. Fresh fruit, juice, youghurt and cereals were available from the buffett. The turndown service in the evening was a nice surprise to find a chocolate and poem on the pillow and a complimentary bottle of mineral water by the bedside.

I honestly didn’t want to leave on sunday and we decided to have a drink with Loiuse in the late afternoon when we went back to pic up our bags. There is someone on duty 24 hours and it was Gordon who dillegently attended to our nightcaps.

If you are looking for a treat I would highly recommend this hotel and I am sure we will be back to sample another of their 8 rooms.

Unique Quality: Some of the rooms have a jucuzzi style bath or special jet showers.

More about The Clarence Hotel

Fantastic Quality Family Run Hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member jwalk145

I found this hotel to be a fantastic little home form home hotel, I was welcomed with a welcome drink at the bar ,by friendly staff.
the room was very clean , warm and well set out. top spec tv system in the room . food was very well presented and tasty.
would recomend to all that want to stay.

Great Hotel - Great Price!

by TripAdvisor Member pr1nce55

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on a Sunday Night. Immediately upon arrival - we were offered a welcome drink with a friendly smile! We were also upgraded without having to ask!
The room was beautiful, all mod cons and a really comfy bed.
This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in, in the UK. I would highly recommend it and best of all.... Great value!

Great Funky Room

by TripAdvisor Member Dashia

We recently stayed at the Clarence Hotel for 2 nights (Fri & Sat). The staff greeted us very warmly and I love their check-in process very nice! We had the Follow your Heart Room it is superb and nice and modern (Bath only, no shower). We absolutely loved the interiors and every bit of detail in the room. We had dinner in the hotel for the first night and everything we had was delicous and cooked to perfection. Breakfast each morning was great with a good variety and a yummy decent vegetarian breakfast.
There are no coffee or tea making facilities in the rooms you have to call whenever you want a drink which is fine I guess but I probably would have had more cups of tea if i didn't have to ask for them all the time.

There were a couple of things on the second night of our stay that stopped me from giving this hotel the full marks. On the first night we had a bottle of still and sparkling water provided but we didn't get another one for the second night I thought that was quite odd as we were paying the same price each night. We came back to our room after a long day out looking forward to our bath... but sadly the hot water had run out and we ended up waiting over until almost midnight for there to be more hot water (1.5hrs later). We are pretty sure that water must have been used up by the people in the spa suite which didn't make me think anymore kinder about them when they decided to turn their tv's up far too loud they were absolutely blaring and you could hear them down the hall too! I would be surprised if other guests didn't hear them also. I would suggest maybe putting volume limiters on the tv's (though this maybe a freak occurance as the first night we didn't have any such problems). We decided to give them till we wanted to go to sleep before we complained but at 11.45pm they finally turned them down, so we were able to finish our night in peace. Plus just a little warning to people who stay in the spa suite please bear in mind that the rooms aren't completely sound proof so if your going to be very vocal in the spa expect other people to hear you.

I know this may come accross a bit negative but this really is a place worth visiting they have lovely rooms and fantastic food and staff. I would definitely stay here again and yes because we loved the room so much I would probably risk staying in the same one again.

One of Portsmouth's jewels! A hotel from heaven - unbelieveable!!

by TripAdvisor Member lhutt

As a frequent traveller both in and out of the UK, if comes as a really nice & unexpected surprise when I occasionally stumble across a really lovely hotel.
That's exactly what I did the first time I walked into the Clarence Hotel. Mark and Jennie greated me with a warm, & friendly welcome after a rough day at work and the whole place exuded a lovely comfortable, classy atmosphere - something that makes you smile when you have the pleasure of staying in such a special hotel, surrounded by such good company.
Why so special? - the rooms are out of this world; every creature comfort one could imagine and the cleanest I've ever stayed in. The whole hotel oozes class with menu & wine list to match, but most of all, in this super setting, Mark, Jennie, Lauren and Paula could not make you feel more welcome! :-)
If you want to experience a hotel from heaven look no further - I'll doubt you'll ever get better than the Clarence Hotel!! Highly highly recommended!!

"A Hidden Gem On The South Coast"

by TripAdvisor Member AlfieUnitedKingdom

My girlfriend and I have returned from a short break to Southsea where we stayed at The Clarence. Having normally stayed at other hotels in and around Portsmouth and Southsea we found The Clarence to be a stunningly luxurious hotel.

We were greeted by Lauren (the attentive receptionist) who made us feel welcome as soon as we arrived. We received a complementary drink (a nice touch we thought after a long journey). Lauren then showed us our room, we stayed in the Terracotta room for two nights and one night in the Monkey room. Both rooms were well-appointed and the attention to detail was fantastic. The pictures on the website do not do the rooms justice. The black and white room was particularly breathtaking. Of the two rooms we enjoyed the Monkey room the most with its decor, staircase to the wet room and its top floor location.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant downstairs where you had cereals, pastries, fruit and juices. We always like a good breakfast so we opted for a cooked breakfast which we found very appetising.

Before our last night at The Clarence Jenny the owner gave us a tour of the other rooms. Like I've said before the rooms are breathetaking with each one different in design.

What a change to stay at such a gorgeous hotel with attentive and friendly staff at a reasonable rate and we will definitely stay again!!!

magical experience

by TripAdvisor Member theresamcl

From the moment i arrived, i was greeted with a lovely drink and a warm welcome. Being very pedantic and choosy, i was overwhelmed with the attention to detail in the room and across the entire hotel. The meals were outstanding and unique and the service was delightful. Over all, a wonderful stay and looking forward to my next visit. Theresa Mclaughlin

friendly staff loud guests

by TripAdvisor Member mazzaSurrey

Enjoyable small hotel in all! The staff were pleasent, breakfast was fresh and although room was small it was clean. The welcome drink appreciated. We were traveling along the south coast and found parking generaly to be a problem so although not a problem getting a space in the end we were concerned as the hotel was in a back street full of garages and tower block flats which made us a little concerned about leaving the car. The hotel is generally peaceful but on occasions the noise penetrating from other rooms especially the sound of a jacuzzi and what people were doing in it was a little of putting!! We were glad to experience the hotel though. There is lots to do nearby and you can walk to most places.

Absolutely amazing!

by TripAdvisor Member foxyroxie66

This hotel is way above the standard I expected. The welcome from all the members of staff were warm, genuine and friendly. The room itself was spotless and gleaming, full of little treats. The sunken bath and waterproof TV were both special and well used! We had dinner and breakfast here, of which both were near perfection. We enjoyed every second of our stay and cannot wait to returtn!

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member Ginbox

Just come back from having stayed 2 nights at the Clarence Hotel. We had booked the Luella Cherry room through the hotel website & it certainly lived up to our expectations.
Beautiful high ceiling with chandeliers, confortable seatings, wonderful roll edged bed, jacuzzi for 2.
Staff were very friendly. Room service was quick and efficient. Nothing was too much bother.
You could go in & out of the hotel at any time as we were given a key - it left like home.
Would love to go back & stay in another room.

Comments