St Mary's Stadium
St. Mary's Stadium is the home of Southampton Football Club. It has also been used for international matches.
Southampton Football Club was founded in 1885 and by the early 1900s, led by the legendary C. B. Fry, they were one of the top football clubs in Europe, as witnessed by the fact that they defeated the full French national team 14-0. It was a Southampton player, Charles Miller, who first introduced football to Brazil.
Southampton have played in 4 FA Cup Finals, most recently in 2003, when they lost 1-0 to Arsenal. After they defeated Manchester United 1-0 in the 1976 FA Cup Final, a quarter of a million people poured out onto the streets to see the victorious team tour the city in an open-top bus.
They are nicknamed the Saints, after the Club's original name of Southampton St. Mary's and the fans' anthem, "Oh when the Saints go marching in" is now copied by football fans the world over.
Famous players who have played for Southampton include Sir Alf Ramsey, Ted Drake, Terry Paine, Alan Shearer, Peter Shilton, Alan Ball, Dave Watson, Peter Osgood, Mike Channon and Kevin Keegan.
Titanic Memorial Fountain
As well as the Titanic Engineers' Memorial, Southampton also has the Titanic Memorial Fountain. This was paid for by the family and friends of the crew. It was originally erected on Cemetery Road, as a drinking fountain, on 27th July, 1915 and moved to its current location in Holy Rood Church on 15th April, 1972, the 60th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. Next to the memorial there is a talking post, where you can hear the story of the Titanic.
BAR 's , PUB's & BREWERIES
"Bishopstoke River Inn"
0 to 18th Century
The earliest extant document referring to Bishopstoke is a Saxon charter of 948, when King Edward granted land to a thane called Aelfric. The boundaries of this land coincide with those of part of the Parish of Bishopstoke today, although the modern parish is much smaller. Originally, it included Fair Oak, Horton Heath and Crowd Hill and was an area of 3,430.777 acres, up until 1872.
In the Domesday Book of 1084 both a mill and a church are mentioned. The land was held by the Bishops of Winchester, who remained landlords (apart from a short period during the Commonwealth), until modern times. Bishopstoke was an agricultural area until the coming of the railway in 1840 and lost its rural air when houses for railway workers were built after railway works came down from Nine Elms.
In 1807, the Reverend Thomas Garnier became Rector of Bishopstoke. A member of a wealthy family, he had travelled to France during a lull in the Neapoleonic wars and had met Napoleon himself. He was also friendly with Prince Albert, who visited Bishopstoke in 1851. He was a keen botanist, a member of the Linnean Society and was able to indulge his interest when he came to Bishopstoke. His garden contained many new specimens of plants brought back by the plant hunters of the time.
Besides the rebuilding of the Rectory in 1808, he had a school built in 1842 for the poor children of the parish and had the old church, down by the river, rebuilt in 1825. He was Rector here for 60 years and, unlike many clerics of his time, lived in his parish and took a great interest in its affairs, including those of its poorest families.
He was related to the Keppel family and he escorted the young Henry Keppel to the naval college in Portsmouth to begin a career in the navy in 1822. It was probably this connection which later brought Sir Henry Keppel to live in a house in Bishopstoke called, "The Cottage" near the Rectory.
It was not suprising therefore, that other large houses for the gentry were built in Bishopstoke in the second half of the nineteenth century, after the completion of the railway line from Southampton to London made travel easier. An advertisement for the sale of the Mount in 1870 proclaimed that Bishopstoke was:
"A neighbourhood which contains so many family seats that a Lady or Gentleman occupying this property may ensure Good Society."
The next phase in the development of Bishopstoke was after the Railway Works moved down from Nine Elms to Eastleigh, the carriage works in 1890 and the locomotive works in 1909. Houses for the workers were built in Bishopstoke as well as in Eastleigh. Land at this time became available when some areas of the Longmead Estate were sold. Houses were built in Hamilton Road, Guest Road, and Scotter Road in the south of the village and in Nelson Road and St. Mary's Road in the north. Many of these houses were terraced houses but a few were detached or semi-detached for the higher echelons of workers. These were followed in the 1920's and 1930's by the building of roads such as Edward Avenue, Longmead Avenue and Drake Road. So, until the beginning of the Second World War in 1939 some of the gentry were still living in the big houses, alongside ever-growing rows of smaller houses filling up the area, which had once been Longmead Estate.
The development of Longmead was completed in the 1950's, when the remaining land was bought by the Eastleigh Borough Council and laid out as an estate of Council Houses, for rent.
In the meantime the village expanded westwards towards Fair Oak. The first new houses were the Ideal Homes. Weavills Road and Haig Road, which only had a few houses, were lengthened, and built upon, with Whalesmead Road being added. The areas to the north and south of the Fair Oak Road were developed with houses and bungalows, covering what had been farmland. Bishopstoke now merges with Fair Oak and is virtually divided into two areas, with the former village being known as "Old Bishopstoke".
Rural to Residential
The early history of Bishopstoke is that of a Parish consisting largely of farms and the houses of the labourers who worked on them, with a few large houses for the wealthier inhabitants. The first result of the building of the railway line from Southampton to London and the building of a station near Bishopstoke in 1840 was to make the area more accessible for those looking for a pleasant place in which to build a house in the country. Houses such as Mount, 1844, Longmead, 1866, Oakbank, 1840, Stoke Knoll, 1864, were built for people able to afford the upkeep of a large house with a retinue of servants.
The next and biggest change came with the arrival from Nine Elms in London, of the railway carriage works in 1890 and the building of rows of small houses for the workers. This was followed in 1909 by the locomotive works also being relocated to Eastleigh. The coming of these works led to a big increase in the population of Bishopstoke as well as the beginnings of the town of Eastleigh.