The Mayfair Guest House

Landguard Road, Southampton, SO15 5DL, United Kingdom

• Unreliable owner lets guests down

I recently made a booking at the Mayfair Guest House. Today (4 days before my arrival) I received this email: "I regretfully have to cancel your room with us. As I said previously, I have other guests who wish to extend their stays beyond the end of March and so have little option but to cancel your one night stay." I feel this is a completely unacceptable way to treat someone who has made a reservation and received written confirmation of their booking. My work colleague who had also booked a room received the same email. Therefore I would not recommend making a booking unless you are happy to have it cancelled at very short notice, in order to make your room available to another guest who is "preferred" by the owner.

More about The Mayfair Guest House

A home from home

by TripAdvisor Member ABCLondon09

I stayed at The Mayfair whilst I was working away in Southampton for just over a week, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and would definately go back and stay there again. From the minute I arrived I felt incredibly welcome and knew I would feel comfortable and relaxed, even when using the communal areas such as the TV room. The bedrooms were incredibly clean and tidy, and fully equipped with everything I needed. Breakfast was great, lots of choice and all made to order. I can't fault it!

the holiday starts here....

by TripAdvisor Member TicinoLocarno

I have been many times in The mayfair guesthouse, its very good located, quiet but central. very clean. Every room is different; rooms are very nice, different colours and
very clean. The owners, Marc and Andy, are always very friendly. The make a wonderful
breakfast which is a good start into the day. I can recommend the Mayfair guesthouse
to everyone; younger or elder people, solo traveller or families. it's the perfect accomodation to visit Southampton !:-)) Especially during Easter and Christmas they decorate so nice all the house; living room and rooms. Marc and Andy are always ready
to help you; to give you infomation about excursions and restaurants. So don't hesitate, just visit it yourself !!!

Excellence at a sensible Price and a warm welcome free of charge

by TripAdvisor Member cypry

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome. Having been shown our rooms we could see we had fallen on our feet. Spacious and very clean. A lovely lounge to relax in following our journey. Breakfast was very nicely prepared, served hot with attentive but not overbearing service. The price well worth every penny.One in a million.

Reasonable price, excellent personal services and made you feel like home!

by TripAdvisor Member SingaporeChin

For those who like shopping, The Mayfair Guest House is very close to the West Quay shopping centre and it is within walking distance. The Mayflower threatre is very nearby, spare sometime for a show currently showing Sound of Music. Before the show, you can try out any kind of food ranging from Chinese (Orchid Restaurant), India, Italian and etc....Also, it is very near to the port where you can take the cruise.. Enjoy yourself .........

A real find!

by TripAdvisor Member kentfarmerKent

We,ve rarely stayed in guest houses, always opting for hotels, but this two day break opened our eyes. The Mayfair is well appointed, has a breakfast to die for and hosts that go that extra mile. They are attentive without being intrusive and very helpful. The rooms are exceptionally clean and were well serviced. It's conveniently situated with access to all Southampton has to offer. A real find and we will certainly stay there again!

Comfortable, welcoming and elegantly furnished -all that a guest house should be.

by TripAdvisor Member yvonnelachou

For the lone traveller the Mayfair provides a friendly service and a safe haven after a day's sight seeing. Great base for visitng Winchester, Salisbury and the Isle of Wight. Train station is an easy walk away. The rooms are very well equipped and Mark and Andy are very concientious in looking after their guests. I had a very pleasant stay.

Yvonne =- Australia

a great place to stay, spotlessly clean and excellant service

by TripAdvisor Member paulabsurrey

i enjoyed my stay at the mayfair guest house very much, the owners were very friendly and most helpful, and i would certainly reccommend it to my friends, and will definately be returning, i would not stay anywhere else, the mayfair is faultless.!!

Great choice for overnighter or longer stay

by TripAdvisor Member albion2112

Easy to find,10mins from Central Station.Staff fiendly and helpful.House/room/lounge very clean.Bathroom/shower very well maintained.
Easy to find centre of Southampton and surrounding area.

Perfect Choice

by TripAdvisor Member soph09

Mayfair was an absolutely perfect choice for me - i recommend for anyone needing a place to stay in Southampton, its very central. It is definitely underrated with its 4*, i did not want to leave after seeing my room. The decor and facilities were immaculate, and i felt so at home with the superb service from Mark and Andy - they are the most helpful and accommodating. And of course, the prices are a good deal!

What other choice is there????

by TripAdvisor Member OzMattyD

I have stayed there a couple of time already. I work on the cruise ships from down that way and whenever I am goin to embark on another ship, The Mayfair Guest House is the only place I look to. The lovely old town house has been renovated and inside looks a charm and is so cosy and clean.
Another thing to look forward to is full english and continental breafast which awaits you in the morning, then afterwards only a short brisk 10 - 15 min walk fom the city centre.
Never had a problem here, and I NEVER look anywhere else first.
Oh and before I forget, the people who run the joint and not half bad either ;)

Comments