Mercure Wessex Hotel

Paternoster Row, (frmrly Macdonald Wessex Hotel), Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 9LQ, United Kingdom

Mercure Winchester Wessex Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo

Winchester's Best Hotel

Having stayed there for almost two weeks, I can say that I am very familiar with the hotel.
    The rooms come in three classifications: Standard, Superior, and Suite. We stayed in a Standard Queen room, which had a view of the Cathedral. All of the rooms come with a digital tv, trouser press, coffee and tea making area, mini bar, hairdryer, and an iron/ironing board. Everything you could possibly need is in your room. There is internet access through the phone lines and plenty of electrical outlets.

The lounge has a great bar and snack-style meals. I have yet to have better Fish and Chips than the Wessex can make. They serve them with fantastic Mushy Peas! The restaurant is very high class with a Carvery which is £18 per person.

The hotel and restaurant staff is very warm and friendly, which to be honest, is quite unusual in England. One thing to watch out for though - The Cathedral is RIGHT next-door. On Sunday mornings the church bells ring LOUDLY, very frequently - don't expect to be sleeping in!

Directions: Just between the High Street and the Cathedral. Behind the High Street Pizza Hut .

More about Mercure Wessex Hotel

Fantastic room, great location

by TripAdvisor Member PrincessGem

We booked this hotel as a stopover on our way home from a week in Somerset so we could visit some friends.

On arrival we were met in the car park by a friendly uniformed attendant who showed us to a space and gave us a car parking pass.

We had pre paid at a reduced rate for a standard room, however when we arrived at 3pm there were no rooms ready. This was not a problem however as we were upgraded to an executive room at no extra cost by the helpful reception staff.

The room itself was fantastic, spacious, light and airy with a huge window and an absolutely humungous comfy bed. There was a small fridge with bottled water and an ice bucket and a TV with full sky TV. We also had a fantastic view over the Cathedral.

The hotel is very convenient for the town centre, yet still in a relatively peaceful location being right by the Cathedral.

We were woken up by our windows being cleaned on Friday morning at around 9:30am, but I should probably have been awake by then anyway!

The hairdryer in the room was not the best and there was a lack of extras such as a DVD player and there was no radio available on the TV, which may have left me less than satisfied if I had paid the full rate of £120 per night for this room. But overall for a nice comfortable, spacious, peaceful and convenient place to spend the night in Winchester it was excellent.

Now the Mercure Wessex!

by TripAdvisor Member miranjelica

I stayed at the Mercure Wessex (I was snottily informed by the girl at the front desk about this fact that they are no longer the Macdonald Wessex) last April 25, 2007. It's not an experience I wish to repeat.

This would have been a totally unfavorable review if not for the availability of room service, its location and a good breakfast.

I had a longer time checking in here than anywhere else. You would think an international property would be more efficient.

For a property that belongs to a group, to my surprise, there wasn't any bellhop. Again, no elevator.

The entire hotel smelled of cigarette smoke, and the walls were so thin and admitted every kind of noise. Again, there was no air conditioning, and this was most inconvenient when people walked outside the window and the couple next door went at it. It had the feel of a seedy motel, even to the quality of sheeting on the bed and general dinginess of the room. I did appreciate being right smack up against Winchester Cathedral, and was actually thankful that I did not have a church view because this would mean facing the graveyard. The bells rang for several hours in the evening, very distracting but I must say I liked it, if only to get away from the sounds next door. My room here was very small and very cramped. I missed my room at the Ayrlington Hotel in Bath so much, I felt sorry for myself.

Room service was alright, though, and prompt, and the food piping hot. It wasn't too bad, either.

Breakfast was pretty good, though. The breakfast room has a rather morbid view of the graveyard, but I guess many people really don't mind it.

The hotel actually sponsors murder mystery weekends. Considering the state of the room I was in, I can easily imagine such a thing occurring in it, despite the proximity to the Cathedral.

Checking out was quick, though, if desultory affair.

I shall stay somewhere else when I reprise my tour in the future.

Put a cloud over our wedding night and part of our reception.

by TripAdvisor Member emmajSouthampton

We booked this hotel for ourselves and many guests on our wedding night and i must say they put a cloud over what had otherwise been a fantastic day.
I booked via an internet site as it was cheeper than the hotels advertised rates and phoned to confirm with the hotel. One room had apparently not been booked despite me having e-mail conformation. They made the extra booking and sent conformation of all our bookings. However, on the day of the wedding guests asrrived and were told that there were no bookings for two other rooms. One coupple had to not drink and drive home and another had to look for their own hotel room at late notice but couldnt find one. After being told that there was no extra rooms and our friends having nowhere to stay by a very rude and unhelpful manager and much upset on my behalf a new night manager came on duty and a room was suddlenly found. We were given this room free but this didnt distract from guests being upset and distracted during our reception as my husband tryed to sort things out during the reception.
To cap it all off my husband had to order his breakfast three times and wait ages for the correct meal and eventually gave up and ate what he had been given.
Also quite tatty given the cost of rooms with few facilities.

Lovely Hotel - Very Very Poor Customer Service

by TripAdvisor Member Fuffie

Staying for one night at the hotel for a wedding. Firstly this hotel has recently changed over to Mercure. At the time of booking were were informed that check in would be 2pm, which was perfect for the 3pm wedding. However, the hotel was taken over by Mercure after our booking was made and the check in time was changed to 4pm - NO GUESTS WERE INFORMED PRIOR TO ARRIVAL and hence some guests, were extreemly late and missed some of ther service as they were refused access to their rooms to change clothes etc despite having booking confirmation stating that the check in times was 2pm. We were given a lovely room overlooking the cathedral, the view was wonderful, but the price was not - in all honesty we booked the room months ago but were told this was the only room available for us (2 adults and one child) - not the case, others who booked after us got rooms that there 40-50 cheaper and we were ment to have reduced rates and part of the bridal party!

Then when it came to checking in later on in the evening as we only stayed for the one night, they had not provided a bed for my daughter - i was informed that the hotel was fully booked and no spare 'camp' beds were available - they did provided a couple of pillows and a blanket for my daughter to make her own bed on the floor!

When I complanined the following morning to the manager he could not have cared less! The customer service was so poor. He said he didn't know what had happened as the bookings were made before he took over as manager and that I must have only booked for two people! not likely that I would have just forgotten about my dauther, a bridesmaid...

The room was lovely and the breakfast was nice food, but was not very warm and not replaced when items ran out. The location was excellent but I don't think that this should be the only reason to charge the rates that they do - overall a not a very good experiance.

Hard to get excited about this very tired hotel

by TripAdvisor Member miss-figgy

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Wessex Hotel.

First off, it's fair to say that the Wessex wasn't our first choice, but Hotel du Vin was booked for one of the nights of our stay (although this didn't stop us wandering over there for dinner one night and breakfast one morning). None the less, we approached the Wessex Hotel with an open mind but were rapidly disappointed.

The hotel has a good location right next to the Cathedral and near all the shops. In this respect it can't be faulted, but in nearly all other respects it's impossible to praise. The exterior is positively hideous. The decor throughout was extremely tired and dated. The room itself was no better - frumpy and old looking. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable I've slept in for a very long time - the mattress was saggy and soft and like sleeping in a broken trampoline. Both nights I woke up feeling like I had barely slept, and I sleep like a log. The facilities were poor - a tiny and inefficient travel kettle, a telly with about six channels and a minibar - inexplicably - which only contained bottled water.

The bathroom was little better. All perfectly clean but bizarrely laid out. The toilet was right next to the door, and the shower was best suited to very short people indeed. It was impossible to wash your hair without getting on your knees as the shower head was about level with my shoulder blades.

Winchester is a lovely place and we got this room on a reasonable deal. That's the only reason it gets three stars. If you really don't care where you stay, or are on business, and sleeping isn't particularly important to you this might be the place for you. Otherwise I'd steer well clear. The deal we got precluded any cancellations - having stayed here I can see why they might want to protect themselves against that!

Two night break - loud room

by TripAdvisor Member Bobster71

We stayed here for two nights based on an internet rate. I decided to cancel my original booking done via the telephone as they changed ownership and also their prices! I saved £40 by cancelling and rebooking. Having read a few horror stories on this site about missing bookings, I rang to confirm my new internet booking. First problem - nobody answers the telephone after 5pm! It took about 1-2 minutes of constant ringing on both occasions that I rang. When I got through I confirmed my booking and asked for written confirmation to be sent - it never came so I rang again. This time it came but with the wrong address on it. Yes, the envelope address correct but the computer printout inside - wrong. This was worrying so I rang a third time to be told don't worry your booking picked up the wrong address - what did this mean? Anyway we arrived and our booking was fine. The room was clean and spacious but from 7.00pm a rather loud noise could be heard all night - what sounded like an extractor fan outside and very annoying. The location is very good, next door to the cathedral. The breakfast is served in a room overlooking the grounds. I would say the breakfast is adequate - self serve - but for a 4 stars, I would have expected to get a nice runny fried egg when I opened the container and not half an egg white. Staff did not seem to replenish dried up food. Now for the killer - you have to pay £6.00 per night to park your car here. I expect to park free if I am a resident anywhere - even the small streeted Winchester!! The decor and room were 4 star but the service and food were lacking and all my fears were realised when our friends arrived and their booking was "lost" even though they had telephoned in advance like me. Book with care.

Ok at reduced rate offers

by TripAdvisor Member Chadwinssor

"+" Location is excellent, in walking distance of all shops, bars and restaurants. Room was good but maybe a little on the small side. Nice big TV with good number of channels (including sky sports 1) and local radio channels.

"-" Phoned to upgrade room to a "cathedral view" but when arrived were given room without. Wasnt a big problem because room given was ok but you would expect more from a 4 star.
Tried to get a drink from the bar but could not find any bar staff. After 10mins i had to ask at reception.

Overall the Hotel was good and i would recommend it at the special offer rates.

Dont even think about it!

by TripAdvisor Member manc_valiant

Where to start with this place!

Well firstly i showed up and they had overbooked the hotel, (i was there for a wedding) and they said the only thing they could do was to send me to another hotel. The only one they offered was a pub in a village about 10 miles away! The accomodation there was to say the least basic!

On the second night they managed to find a room in the actual hotel for me. The room itself was reasonable although the decor was tired. The public areas of the hotel not to mention the exterior appearance are terrible, very tired and in near of complete refurbishment, the sofas in the lobby are thread bear and worn out.

Be warned this was not a one off in overbooking the receptionist told me it was a regular occurance! Dont waste your money on this overpiced, disorganised hole!

happily suprised-don't let others put you off

by TripAdvisor Member guernseyone

Having read the most recent reviews I was not looking forward to my stay here but as I was on a conference I had no choice. Having had a fab time there i feel i must add to the comments....I had a twin room with fantastic cathedral view. Customer service was excellent, really helpful and friendly staff. Breakfast was of a very high standard, in restaurant also with cathedral view. Perhaps it has been spruced up as i did not notice any of the threadbare or tired decor mentioned in earlier reviews.
I don't think this could be beaten for a comfortable stay in the heart of winchester. It is a non descript building on the outside but the accommodation and service more than compensate! Only downside was the heating was too high - open windows and fans make it fine but I think it is a common hotel malaise to overheat the rooms and public areas.

Comments