CHANDLERS CROSS, Rickmansworth, HE 4
The Grove Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Grove

Fantastic and just outside of London

We have a young child and went to 'get away from it all' and had the most fantastic time!
Huge bed, huge TV, loads of fantastic food. Breakfast was great, so much to choose from, we ate so much we didn't need lunch!
We stayed for 2 nights and ate in both restaurants, and the pub. The Stables, was like most pubs but much nicer, the food was good but a bit over priced. Child friendly too.
The Glasshouse was buffet style and was lovely - loads to choose from again and not bad value for money.
Colette's was a bit over the top for my taste but my husband absolutely loved the attentive staff especially the somelier.
The spa was out of this world, we both had full body massages and I had a manicure too which was expertly done. Treatments are expensive but they are always overpriced in hotels. I would recommend having a treatment just because of the great care they take of you and the relaxing waiting area before you go through.
Highly recommended.

Perfection - For Families

by TripAdvisor Member kittykitty1

Just spent the weekend here and can state unreservedly that this hotel deserves its five stars. But, and here's the catch, it's not really the best place in the world for couples.
The good points - the staff are the best I've encountered in the UK. Nothing is too much trouble, and they're always so friendly going out of their way to ensure you're having a great time.
The surroundings are beautiful - my husband, daughter and I found ourselves alone in the outdoor pool this weekend, despite the hotel being packed. We felt like lottery winners!
Having stayed in both the manor and modern wing - I suggest the manor for couples, and the wing for families. You have to stay in a deluxe if you want to bring kids anyway.
The kids club is great value at £5. The spa is one of the best I've ever been to (although Espa usually is good wherever you go).
And...the bling! If you have footballer's wives tendencies that you usually restrain in everyday life, this is the hotel to let rip!
Downsides: If there's a large do, or a wedding, it can feel a little bit busy. But we always found a quite spot to relax.
Go - you'll love it!

Quite Breathtaking

by TripAdvisor Member Alexg2005

I am fortunate enough to stay in luxury hotels regularly and it takes a lot to impress me now however, The Grove is very special indeed.

I think the majority of people who complain about this property just don't get it! 60 million has been spent on the refurb and you can literally see where every penny has gone. From the naked gardener who whistles at you as you walk past (its a very clever projection on a wall in the Mansion House) to the stunning, classically contemporary lounges, this hotel hits the spot.

I was lucky enough to stay in one of the 'Decadence' suites in the Mansion House which was incredible. Grand Piano meets Plasma Screen meets Austrian Diamante, a sight to behold and one of the most comfortable rooms I have spent the night in. I did see the standard/deluxe rooms whilst viewing the hotel and they are a good size, contemporary throughout, very comfortable with free standing baths. The corridors are a bit souless and some of the artwork went over my head, but I would have been very happy in this part of the hotel.

I agree with some of the comments with regards to The Glasshouse Restaurant, it is a buffet of sorts, but is more 'Theatre Kitchen' than buffet station. The food was delicious, but I'm not too keen on the 'help yourself' policy.

The gardens and terrace are fabulous, with an incredible water feature (more like a river), the golf course looks as if it is made of suede and the spa was to die for.

It is an expensive hotel, but worth every penny in my opinion. Its a destination, go for the weekend, spend a fortune and gush to your friends for weeks after....you know you want to

Gorgeous location, beautiful spa & golf course!

Just got back from the Grove. I booked one night for boyfriend's birthday. The location was absolutely gorgeous, just as the photos show on their website. The golf course was stunning & the spa was truly fabulous. Relaxation areas had beautiful decor with beds. The massage my boyfriend & I had was one of the best. Vitality pool (bubble pool) was lovely. Fitness, steam rooms and pools were all as a five star hotel should be. The room was good with 42 inch plasma screen, super king size bed, gorgeous bath & mordern decor. However, they seemed to have a problem with the water because when the tap was turned on nothing came out & the toilet didnt seem to flush! We reported this to reception who informed us that the problem was all through the hotel. There was a problem with the water pressure and that it was being fixed and would be ok in half an hour. After half an hour everything did go back to normal and the duty manager wrote letters to all hotel guests apologising for the inconvenience. We dined in the Glasshouse, the "food theatre" buffet. This was really good & we were spoilt for choice with selections of seafood, oriental dishes, roasts, sushi, salads and desserts. We had a really good time & very much enjoyed the spa, golf course & hotel. There were a few common areas in the hotel that looked a bit run down for a five star place & requires attention. Service was above average but not excellent. One night including dinner, breakfast, a spa treatment each & round of golf cost us just under £700.

Fabulous!

by TripAdvisor Member Han1

Stayed at the Grove in December for 1 night and consider it to be of the best hotels I have ever stayed in around the world. Nestled in the countryside just outside Watford it is perfect for a getaway from London without travelling for hours. I had a delux room, superbly furnished bed and bathroom and the buffet breakfast was amazing. The Spa and pool facilities are wonderful, the relaxation room was just that and the staff lovely. Would highly recommend, it is expensive but worth it for a treat and I'll be going back in the new year.

Big disappointment

I had heard great things about the Grove but when my husband and I went there for a weekend it was a let-down. It is a HUGE hotel, woe to those who have a room far from the desk.

They described the roooms as either with a "garden" or "golf-course" view--though almost half the rooms (ours included) had a view of a massive, ugly car park. The "hip" decor made me feel like I was on a cruise ship. It was not a comfortable type of "hip". The lobby and lobby restaurant are very noisy most of the time; you have to search to find a quiet niche--then you have to share it with everybody else who is looking for a quiet place.

We did like the flat screen TV and the bathroom was well appointed.

oh deary me......go to Cowley Manor

Have just checked out early from an intended 2 night stay. Despite the website and marketing claims, this is not an uber trendy luxury country house retreat hotel. It is actually more like a large travel lodge with a fancy spa attached.

The hotel should be commended on a few things - the spa is superb and the best I've seen - if you can get booked in. The food at the stables restaurant is exquisite and delicious. Our room ( a delux) had a nice bathroom, big bed and great TV. However...

The hotel was populated almost entirely by families with small children. Despite the provision of kids clubs and a play centre, parents seemed intent on allowing their little darlings to run riot in the lounges, hallways and restaurants. After struggling through a buffet breakfast that involved tripping over push chairs, negotiating prostrate 9 year olds and snivelling pre-schoolers we decided to retreat to a quiet spot for some coffee and the papers. We quickly discovered there was nowhere to sit and relax in peace a quiet at all, except our room (and we can do that at home). Hotel staff made no effort to intervene on this disruption - even when kids started stomping on the baby grand piano in the immaculate and luxurious manor house lounge. It appears that parents are not encouraged to use the nursery or kids club facilities for their offspring. Leaving the decision up to parents regarding acceptable behaviour, noise levels and how their kids should conduct themselves in a 5 star environment is a fatal mistake in my view. Kids spoil everything - from the handprints on the walls in the rooms (not what you expect for £320 per night), and blood on the curtains, to the disasters waiting for you in the ladies loos, they are simply incompatible with the notion of an expensive, exclusive, peaceful and sophisticated spa retreat.

One can forgive some things such as a burst water pipe flooding the spa reception, or lack of short notice appointments for a massage. What I can't forgive is a hotel whose advertising and branding makes it out to be something it is not.

If you are looking for a peaceful, sophisticated break with an excellent room, fab spa and great food, take my advice - go directly to Cowley Manor, do not pass the grove (and save yourself £20!).

We left after the first night and wasted hundreds of pounds.

The little things.....

by TripAdvisor Member Jimyox

A lovely setting, fantastic spa, the best breakfast i have ever had. However, for the cost you kind of expect that to be the case.

It is not the quiet retreat we had expected and by the time we had walked from reception to the room we may well have been in the next county. 200+ rooms doesn't fall under "exclusive" in any definition.

The room service lunch was an absolute disgrace. £7.50 for a ham sandwich which was two pieces of white Tesco value bread with a slice of processed ham, and a bowl of microwaved soup (aka green sludge) for about the same. At least it came on a nice plate.

The bill for this was fully refunded at checkout without a quibble, almost like it wasn't the first time that this had happened.

The Stables restaurant was a different game. Wonderful food, lovely atmosphere and superb service, a really nice evening. Breakfast was a spectacular event.

For anyone wanting a peaceful weekend away, this is not the place. Champneys at Forest Mere was our favourite spa/hotel before we stayed here and nothing we saw has changed our opinion.

It is the little things that make the difference between good and great, The Grove didn't have enough of the little things.

Just Not Good Enough..

by TripAdvisor Member londonbiztraveller

Pleasant enough environment though a bit sterile and 5* 'by numbers'.
I reckon its a place likely to do well from former soap stars and football players wanting to escape the lack of limelight they are receiving in London. Essentially a bit tasteless and gareish for my preference. Very much a wannabee Babington House.
Long long walk from reception to rooms we stayed in.
Puzzled by the innumerable non-guests who dominated the place during the day and in the evening. Made it considerably less relaxing and much busier than you might hope at dinner time. The main restaurant was closed so this did not help either.
Staff polite but (I hate to say this) useless--English a 3rd/4th language in certain cases. Multiple misunderstanding gave it a Fawlty Towers feel.
We were disappointed in general and with a number of specifics and informed the desk of this. Received a blank smile in return but no redress.
Will not stay again.
Was a guest ding-dong/complaint going on in the reception as we were leaving which the Concierge was handling with all the aplomb of Genghis Khan. Just about summed it up really.
On the positive side its not bad value and one persons preference is not a guide to general enjoyment. And it was clean and the food was not bad.

Expensive - but luxurious & very much worth it!

by TripAdvisor Member MrsTrellis73

My partner and I needed a stress free few days out of London & got exactly that.
Beautiful clean rooms with all mod cons & we had a lovely view over the golf course.
The staff were polite, professional & very friendly, and the hotel was very unstuffy and informal.
Great restaurants - especially the buffet in the glasshouse. So much choice and pretty good value too. Breakfast was also excellent.
The best thing about the hotel was the spa. Courteous staff, clean & well stocked changing rooms with gowns, towels & slippers and fantastic Espa products. The black mosaic lined pool was lovely with sauna & steam facilities.
We both had a massage, which was professionally undertaken & worked wonders.
Yes, it was expensive, but in my opinion our very pleasant experience more than justified the price.
All in all, a wonderful place, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Comments