Cambridge Rd Ware Hertfordshire SG12 0SD, Ware, SG
Hanbury Manor, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Priceline.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Marriott Hanbury Manor Hotel And Country Club

Great hotel, Great staff but let down by some issues

by TripAdvisor Member awc92

We had a single night stay at Hanbury Manor which on the whole was very good, however we were disappointed by certain issues which need looking at urgently for a 5 star hotel.

Our room was in the annexe block which is very tired and dated and not a patch on the main building.

The spa is also in need of a spruce up as its is very tired.

The Zodiac restaurant was superb and the food was exquisite with well trained and attentive staff.

The grounds were superb and the main building is stunning.

If you book, please ensure you aren't put in the annexe and I'm sure you'll have a lovely stay, but I think Marriott now need to invest in this hotel to raise its standards and appearances.

Not as good as expected

by TripAdvisor Member qwertyqwertyqwerty

Having read all the other reviews, I was expecting something wonderful. I had particularly high hopes for the pool / spa but it was uninspiring, full of children, not enough loungers and the juccuzi was out of order. In terms of the rooms, ours was large and well furnished with a comfortable bed. On the downside, there was no bottled water provided and the shower was pathetic.

Food overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member ehzoyzdcr

Good points:
1. Great for families with children. There are so many of this type of hotel that don't accept children that it is nice to find one that does. There is such a mixture of people here that the children are not too obtrusive - I can't stand badly behaved ones myself.
2. Lovely pool complex
3. Really friendly staff and top class service - they really make you feel welcome
4. Large cross section of guests
5. Very reasonable room rates - we booked directly with the hotel and paid only £112 for a Friday night room which sleeps 4 including breakfast and use of leisure facilitieswhich only went up to £140 for New Year. In terms of value for money, this is exceptionally good.
6. Beautiful hotel and grounds with golf as well if you are into that.
7. Just off the A10 so easy to get to. Not far from Cambridge either for a great day out.
8. The Christmas tree in the room was a lovely additional touch

Bad Points:
1. Not much of interest in the local area in winter. Stately homes are closed and weather doesn't make outdoor things much fun. Unattractive landscape around.
2. One bed was so soft and saggy that it hurt my back - luckily the other one was OK (there are 2 double beds in the room)
3. The restaurants are very expensive. We didn't go to the Zodiac restaurant on this occasion as it is not suitable for children but we did go to the Oakes Grill. The food was superb but overpriced at between £20-27 for a main course. I would have been happy to pay £15-20 for the same meals so I would say it is about 25% overpriced. Luckily on the 2nd and 3rd nights we found Vardon's Bar in which you can have a much cheaper meal which is better if you have children. Again the food is excellent.
4. You have to pay £7 for 45 minutes of internet access which I would normally expect a hotel to provide for free or at nominal cost.
5. No teletext and the news channels kept disappearing.

Overall I would say we had a great experience bearing in mind the money we spent and we accept that the food is a little overpriced as we paid so little for our room. Highly recommended.

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member marksw

Booked in for a romantic get away with my girlfriend, i wanted a hotel with a good spa, but i also wanted something that looked breathtaking.. and this manor house will not disappoint as you drive up, it looks nothing short of magnificent, it has been extended but it doesn't detract from the over all beauty. The grounds are fabulous!

As many people have mentioned, the food is very expensive, but also i can say that on both occasions the food was up there with the best i've had for quality and presentation. Cocktails are overpriced, hotels in central London couldn't get away with charging what the Marriot are, bearing in mind you could eat and drink at Gordon Ramsays for pretty much the same amount it becomes hard for me to be convinced where the hotel decides it's pricing strategy on more than the fact it's an isolated location with an almost captive audience

Service at the hotel was faultless, requests were dealt with at almost supersonic speed, ice buckets seemingly appeared from nowhere on request, newspapers, food, anything.
All the staff were wonderful, and of which as you would come to expect, are from a vast selection of countries, , nothing was too much effort, and young or old, everyone had the same fantastic level of service.

The spa and pool area is very well presented, i've read a couple of reports that it looks tired, but i didn't see any evidence of this, and the treatments we had were very good.

Our room was a junior suite, all in all it was excellent, picturesque views, comfortable, clean and tasteful furnishings, warm, well lit, very well thought out.. the TV's were a bit of a let down, as was the selection of channels, but this isn't a major issue apart from an hour in the morning when you're laying in bed with the paper.

comfiest beds.......Ever

by TripAdvisor Member lisa2904

My partner had booked for us to stay here as a christmas treat. On driving up to the hotel you really do experience a wow factor, the grounds are beautiful and very well kept.
We had an initial problem with our room which was dealt with professionally, straight away. Very clean rooms, well equipped with everything you need. The best thing about the whole room is the bed, after reading a previous review, i have to agree that they have the comfiest bed i have ever experienced.
We went for a swim and used the jacuzzi, again everything was clean, towels and dressing gowns provided. The showers were amazing. You also have the option to use the steam room and sauna.
Once ready we dined at the grill restaurant, although i have to say i think both myself and my partner agreed that we had the best fillet steak ever, the only downside to this was the price they charged for drinks, they are rediculous, far too expensive and i couldnt justify the price.
Breakfast was great, as it always is at any Marriott. A great stay, a memorable hotel-the only downside is the price they charge for the drinks. I think if you go with this in mind then i cant see any reason as to why anyone would be disappointed at this hotel.

Cottages in Bluecoat YardCottages in Bluecoat Yard