Express By Holiday Inn Hull

The pond at BrantinghamThe pond at Brantingham

Where to stay?

by hobanma

Hi all,

I am going to spend a couple of weeks in the Hull area (I have work nearby). Should I stay in Hull? If so, where?

Someone mentioned that Beverley was nice - any recommendations?

Is there another town I should consider? Leeds and York seem a bit far but I could ride the train I suppose.

Thanks,

Mark

by planxty

Might I suggest you contact Colin, VT name Brittania2, who lives nearby. Here is a link to his homepage.

He is a really nice bloke, active on the forums, and I am sure he will not mind you contacting him. He knows Hull really well and is a top 5 "tipster" for the city.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

by zuriga

If you want some ideas for B&Bs or hotels, check out www.smoothhound.com. It has very good descriptions and photos of places in all parts of the UK.

by leics

You might also be interested n the official tourist information site, which lists places to stay/things to see & do etc:

Beverley is indeed a pleasant town. Info on this link:

York is really lovely but, as you say, rather a long way.

www.nationalrail.co.uk will give you train times, details and fares.

But UK public transport is not cheap. You may find that staying in Hull is more economical than travelling in and out every day.

by Britannia2

It all depends on how much you want to pay. Indeed Beverley is very nice - a pleasant market town but the traffic from there in to Hull each morning is awful - allow at least one hour to travel the seven miles. The train - only two stops and very frequent is about £8 return so you need to take that in to account. The best place at the moment to stay is a new small hotel in a historic pub called the Whittington and Cat - needless to say I have never stayed here but it gets great reviews in the local press. Its a good price too and I have an entry on my Hull page.
Other than that there all the usual places - Ibis, Travel Inn, Premier Inn and so on. Hull is quite safe - do not believe what you read in the heavily biased press. Of course certain parts become a young persons area on Friday and Saturday nights but that's common to all English towns and cities.
Are you in a car or on the train? If you let me know what your budget is I can advise much better.

Travel Tips for Kingston upon Hull

The Humber Mouth

by northeast80

Hull Literature Festival 16th June-1st July 2007.
This is a yearly event so should be relevant for a long time, though the dates could well vary year to year.

I went to a reading by Joanne Harris yesterday which was free in our city library. She introduced herself, told us about her ideas, her life, her inspirations and then read from her new book; The Lollypop Shoes. Did a Q & A session then signed books for us. This is the first of its kind I've ever been to and I really liked it, it was very intimate, she was a confident speaker, I've read a lot of her books so it was great to meet her too. She was a great, engaging reader, very well equiped to answer any questions we threw at her (though no-one asked the most common; What was Johnny Depp like?).

Examples of other events that are on this year are;
An audience with Will Self (satirist/writer) £5 21st June
Mike Gale (novelist/journalist) £5 23rd June
Steven Hall & Dan Rhodes (novelists) £5 26th June
Milner Place & Lyn Acton (poetry & music) £5 27th June
Shami Sharabarti (speaker & campaigner) £5 28th June
Raj Persaud (psychologist) £5 30th June
There's writing/poesty sessions, dance and music.

Official website

How to speak Ull

by northeast80

Amgunna = I am going to
Arfa Larga = Half a glass of beer or lager
Ayer = Have you. Usage: Ayer gorra bruvva? = Have you got a male sibling?
Bains = Children. Usage: Bains out larkin' = The children are playing outside.
Bray = Hit or beat (agressive gesture) Usage: I'll bray yer eddin' = I'm going to inflict pain on you.
Burn = Bone. Usage: Burn idol = Extreme laziness.
Canaborryit? = Can I borrow it?
Chowatmi = Shout at me Usage: Mimmams gunner chowatmi = I shall be in severe trouble with my mother.
Curl = Call
Curled = Cold
Curlslur = Coleslaw or sliced cabbage
Dinntit? = Did it not?
Dernt nerr = I do not know
Diddy farndowt? = Did he find anything?
E = He
Ed Head = Usage: Doin' me eddin = Making me confused.
Ellur = Hello
Erm = Home
Err nerr = Oh no. Meaning: An expression of dismay.
Fern = Phone. Usage and meaning: Fern curls = Telecommunications
Gerreer = Come here or come over Usage: Oi! Gerreer! = Come this way.
Gerremin = Get them in Usage: Gerremin = Get the drinks in.
Gerroff = Leave me alone
Giz/gizza = Give me. Usage: Gizza pennith 'gammy fruit = Could I please have some of those bruised apricots.
Gorrit for nowt = I did not pay anything
Gunna = Going to
Larkin = Hanging or playing out
Lerds 'n lerds = Plenty. Same as: Givin' it lerds
Mafted/mafting = Hot. Usage: I'm mafted = I'm rather hot. It's mafting = It's rather hot.
Mimmam = My mother. Usage: Mama mia = I'm here Mother. Yer mammal ner = Your Mother will have the information.
Plern block in tenfoot = Playing 'Goangerided' in an alleyway
Siling down = Raining
Skeg = To look
Croggy = A crossbar of a bicycle Usage: Giz a crogga = Can you give me a lift on your bicycle?

Horse racing

by Britannia2

Hull does not have a racecourse but there is a first class course at Beverley a few miles north of Hull. This is the only racecourse I have been to but an afternoon or evening here is certainly exciting and the area north of Beverley , especially the Malton area, is where racehorses are bred and trained.
2009 prices are - Premier - £19.00. Ladies Day Premier - £22.00. Grandstand & Paddock - £12.00. Senior Citizens / Students - £8.00. Ladies Day Grandstand & Paddock - £14.00.
Ladies Day Senior Citizens/Student - £10.00.Premier - £19.00. Premier - £19.00
Ladies Day Premier - £22.00. Grandstand & Paddock - £12.00. Senior Citizens / Students - £8.00. Course Enclosure (per car) - £5.00. Per Person - £5.00. Senior Citizen/Students - £3.00. Course Enclosure (per car) - £5.00. Per Person - £5.00. Senior Citizen/Students - £3.00.
Ladies Day is one of East Yorkshires premier events to be seen at and it is wise to book in advance.

Do yourself a favour and get some fresh air!

by Orbital_

I'll be truly honest here and say that you won't really want to spend day after day in Hull unless you live or work here. As cities go it's nowhere near the best or worst in the United Kingdom, but there indeed truly more stimulating places to lay your hat. I'd suggest you head out of the city to visit some of the towns and villages in East Yorkshire if you have a chance.

The historic market town of Beverley, twelve miles north of the city, is paricularly worth a visit for one of the finest (yet least known) gothic cathedrals in the world. Check out my Beverley pages for further tips.

There's acres of pleasant countryside north of the city in East Yorkshire. The land comprises mostly of gentle rolling farmland with the spine of the Yorkshire Wolds hills bordering to the north-west of the county. Villages such as Walkington and Bishop Burton are worth a detour for traditional Yorkshire food & ale in any of the numerous pubs. Pick up a local Ordnance Survey map from a bookshop or visit a local tourist information centre to get information on any of the hundreds of paths and bridleways that criss-cross the county following disused railwaylines, quiet country lanes, meandering rivers and through lush woodland.

Spurn Head is a spit of sand...

by steventilly

Spurn Head is a spit of sand projecting out into the Humber estuary at the coast on the North bank of the river. It is a very remote spot and although at times bleak, it has a certain appeal. You can walk along it's length, past decaying wartime defences, to the lifeboat and pilot station at the end. There's a cafe there, though there are no toilets. You can lie on the beach (weather permitting) and watch the (up to 100 per day) ships go in and out of the river.

Comments