Royal Hotel Hull

170 Ferensway, Kingston-upon-Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU1 3UF, United Kingdom

Mercure Hull Royal Hotel
Booking.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Station Hotel, literally

The Royal Hotel (now part of the Mercure chain) used to be called the Royal Station Hotel, and there is actually an entrance right on the station concourse. (If this door isn't open, it's only a matter of walking round to the front).

Rooms are comfortable and well-appointed, with TV, hospitality tray, hairdryer, trouser press etc. There is also free WiFi (reception will provide a slip with the password.) We booked through a third party hotel booking website, and we found on check out that the hotel tried to charge us again, even though we had already paid. It was easily sorted out, though. The moral here is have your booking confirmation to hand when you check out - my husband forgot this elementary precaution.

We had dinner in the restaurant, and found it good value. I can particularly recommend the pork belly dish. The total bill for (three courses for my husband and two plus coffee for me) came to about £44, which I thought was good value.

Unique Quality: The Hotel features on the Larkin Trail as the poet Philip Larkin often ate here. It also features in his poem: 'Friday Night at the Royal Station Hotel'.

Directions: Adjacent to the station

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

Good hotel for travellers

I had my lunch here recently and colleagues stayed in the hotel. Of course living here I had no need to stay but I have put this hotel on these pages because it was so well liked by my colleagues and because the facilities for non residents are good.
    The restaurant and bar area are well furnsihed and comfortable and the food of a good standrad. Service was also very good.

Unique Quality: There are two entrances - one at the front of the hotel ( as shown on my photograph) and one directly from inside the transit interchange.
    Very limited car parking.

• X-medea-X's Profile Photo

Quality Hotel Royal

I stayed here for two nights, in a double en-suite, breakfast included.

Unique Quality: The room was nice and spacious. It had television (with pay tv). Everything was pretty clean.

There's a restaurant in the hotel as well, which serves some nice dishes. I had some lovely salmon with fresh veggies for about 12 pounds.

Directions: Next to the train station.

More about Royal Hotel Hull

Please use you common sense...

by TripAdvisor Member whiterosesam

First of all I do not work for this hotel, but i do need to use it frequently.

Could I point out that if people are so concerned about noise, then why on earth are you booking a hotel slap-bang in the middle of one of Yorkshire's biggest cities?

Yes, like most other cities it has a railway station which makes noise. Coincidentally Hull also needs the emergency services which use sirens. Finally, I have never been anywhere in the world where the hotel staff (even the manager) are responsible for roadworks, or their related signage - I am sure Hull city council will be glad to assist you on this matter!

This once-magnificent railway hotel has been (by modern standards of workmanship) well refurbished on the whole, though it is a busy place and there are a few frayed edges here and there. Rarely get chance to eat dinner their, though breakfast is hearty to say the least. Leisure facilities are hardly state of the art, but they are friendly and right on the doorstep nonetheless.

I find this place more than adequate for most peoples needs, though I would suggest calling them to see if they can beat internet prices - it quite often works for me.

On the whole for a large city centre hotel, I would recommend this hotel. If I want Eurodisney I will go to Paris, not go to Hull for £50 and moan. Think about it...

Leave it to Vicky

by TripAdvisor Member PeripateticPoleaxe

A faded gem, possibly - it was good enough for Queen Victoria once - but this old railway station hotel has seen better days and is need of a serious, thorough, makeover. OK if you really do have to be in the city centre for a night or two, but best avoided until it has been gutted and refitted.

Good central location

by TripAdvisor Member HelenDavis84

Recently visited a friend in Hull and choose this hotel due to its location and free parking.

Easy to find from the M62 as right by the train station.

Not in the nicest part of the city, but within walking distance of all the sights of Hull.

The room was fine if a little small. It wasn't noisy from traffic etc as it was at the back of the hotel but there was an odd dripping noise that was irritating and had I stayed another night I would have requested a different room!

Staff seemed friendly and helpful.

Sleeping in a disco

by TripAdvisor Member Philyio

I was put in a room directly above a school disco in the function room. Even with ear plugs in it was still too noisy to read my book.

I asked to be moved but was told there were no other rooms. The room would have been noisy anyway because of the dual carriageway right outside the single pane window.

When I asked the next day about the noise the hotel recptionist discreetly told me that my room shouldn't have been let out with the function but because the hotel was full they'd decided to stick someone in there. No discount was offered on my stay

I filled out all the hotel feedback forms and no one has been in touch.

A terrible stay made worse by terrible customer service.

Good value but rooms in poor condition

by TripAdvisor Member Tarquin2000

I could only recommend this hotel if you are on a tight budget. I got the internet B&B rate and found it to be good value. However, if I had paid the full rate I would have been annoyed. The hotel is a great old building convienently located next to the train station. The general decor of the foyer and reception is average. In the hallway leading to the bedrooms there is an overwhelming smell of damp; this could be due to the recent floods in Hull. My room was very small and basic: there was just enough room for two adults and a large suitcase. The bed was a small double but comfortable enough. The bathroom was really old fashioned and in need of replacing; the shower head kept sliding down the pipe, although the bath was long and deep. The buffet breakfast was varied and plentiful, though the quality was average (I didn't expect tasty sausages at this hotel). The second night I stayed, a wedding disco went on til gone 1.00am and my room was directly above the action. I don't know why we were given that room when the hotel didn't appear full.
Overall, the hotel is tired looking but decent value if you book online and don't stay too many nights.

Avoid this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member baglan

This is about the worst hotel I've ever stayed in - and I've stayed in quite a few, all over the world. First problem was the reservation - for some reason the booking was made for June 2008 when we called in early June 2007! So when we arrived (3 guests) there were no rooms as the hotel was apparently 'full'. Next problem was that they had no key for my room so I had to get someone from reception to take me up to my room to let me in! The room was small and shabby with an uncomfortable bed and a quilt that was like a board. The window did not shut fully and so it was difficult to keep out the noise from the railway station - my room overlooked the platforms. Curtains and furnishings were grubby.

The main lifts were out of order 'due to the recent flooding in Hull' - this problem I can understand.

Breakfast is served buffet style with more emphasis on checking room numbers than providing food. Hot drinks are provided by the cup so you have to try to catch the eye of the waitress with the teapot. You have to make your own toast. To be fair, fried eggs were cooked to order but arrived a bit frazzled.

As mentioned by other correspondents, parking is a bit unsatisafctory and doesn't seem very secure being alongside the railway station, virtually in a public car park.

Positive points - staff were friendly but of course this is only to be expected in Yorkshire. Air conditioninmg in the room was quiet and effective.

There aren't many choices in Hull but I'm sure I'll not be staying at the Quality Hotel Royal again.

Avoid at all costs

by TripAdvisor Member TykeUk

Stayed here on business. Took 20 minutes to get reception to answer phone to advise I would be arriving late. Room was dirty, I had to ask for bed linen to be replaced. A colleague answered ther door only to have someone try and force entry into the room, apparently stuff had been stolen from the staff area. At 5AM the train station announcements started, making further sleep impossible. Car parking is in a public car park, does not look secure. Quite possibly the worst hotel experience ever!!

Central and spot on for the money

by TripAdvisor Member Gardener01

For some reason on the evening we wanted, all other Hull hotels seemed to be full. It was with a heavy heart after looking at the reviews that I HAD to book.
Well Im glad to say that we were delighted at what we found. The hotel could not be better placed for the town centre and it has parking; obviously a real plus.

We arrived very early (10.40ish) and expected only to be able to leave our bags. Instead we were speedily checked in and in our room within 5 minutes.

In a nutshell: the lobby is quite grand and the rooms are not! Nevertheless, the rooms are comfortable with all requisites to hand. The decor, bed, bathroom, shower were all fine, very clean, fully stocked with tea, coffee and so on.

The window in the room didn't open without being propped up and looked internally over a courtyard so no view but that was no matter to me. Indeed a bonus of this was we experienced none of the rowdy disco noise that others mention. The walls though are quite thin and we could clearly hear the babe next door crying but it wasn't a real disturbance and can't be helped anyway.

Breakfast, a buffet, was not the best I've seen but was not so bad for meat eaters. Toast was DIY and coffee and tea poured by staff rather than the usual pots on the tables. Good company though - Toady from 'Neighbours' was at the next table having made an appearance at Asylum (so I was told!) the Hull Uni nightclub the night before!

Every staff member we came across was really friendly and helpful. All were local too - quite unusual but a welcome change to ask for assistance and to get it from people who know the area so well.

Checkout was swift. My one concern is that when paying on the website my credit card details were all taken. On arrival the card was swiped through. On checking out it had to be produced once more! Three times for one booking!! I'm still carefully checking that only one charge goes through. In this age of being ultra security conscious, surely this is posing a risk? And surely totally avoidable? Any comment Quality Royal?

Even allowing for a so-so breakfast this was extremely good value. I would not hesitate to stay again.

Comments