An industrial garden town
In 1860 one of the largest ironstone deposits in Europe was found in a farming community in an area of five rural villages - Crosby, Scunthorpe, Frodingham, Ashby and Brumby. Work started in 1861 on a narrow gauge railway to transport coal from Yorkshire. By 1890 four steelworks were producing steel.
In 1936 with a charter from King Edward VIII the five villages joined to form the Borough of Scunthorpe. Only four charters were granted during the short reign of King Edward VIII.