30 - 33 High Street, Canterbury, Canterbury CT1 2RX, United Kingdom

ABode Canterbury
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo

FOR THE BEST CANTERBURY HAS TO OFFER

Although i have not stayed at this hotel, i can say on good authority that its an exelent place to stay. Its the most convenient hotel in Canterbury which is placed right in the heart of the city only yards from the impressive cathederal

Unique Quality: The county hotel has also a lot of history attached to it, its an original building and was used by travellersfrom London who would rest up here before going on to Dover, this was in fact the main London to Dover road

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

They say the best hotel in town???

They say that this is the best hotel in town, as ive never stayed I cannot comment.....but I have attended a few functions here and if the food is anything to go by....well!!!
    Iive never been out to eat where the food tastes raw!!

Unique Quality: The location is what this hotel has going for it, slap bang in the middle of the city - superb!

More about The County Hotel

Great Hotel, Excellent Location

by TripAdvisor Member TheSGB

Reading through some of the reviews about the Abode, Canterbury, it seems to me that some people are never, ever happy. Is it the hotel’s fault that previous reviewers encountered tramps in the hotel’s car park or that some of the guests seemed ‘not exactly well-do-to’?

Having stayed this weekend with my boyfriend in a ‘Comfortable’ room (it was Room 110), I can honestly say we were very happy with the experience and it was not nearly as bad as some previous reviewers have made out. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for from your stay – but if you are coming in search of super luxury, well, I am afraid you may just have to mix with the hoi polloi while you are here!

We paid £107 per night, room only, booked through a website. The fact that breakfast was not included was clear at the time of booking – yes, breakfast is usually a bit of a rip-off in hotels such as this, but in the end it is your choice as to whether you eat it or not. We did not have breakfast in the hotel, preferring to eat in one of the many cafes nearby. Nor did we eat in the hotel’s restaurant or drink in the champagne bar, so I cannot comment on those either. I am not a cheapskate, I just knew that I wanted to spend my money in all the gorgeous new shops in Canterbury instead! Which leads me on to the location of the hotel – it could not be better, right on the High Street in the centre of town.

Our room was certainly not small – there was plenty of room, the décor was tasteful and modern, the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in and the DVD player and flat screen TV came in useful for watching old black and white films on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon! There were no problems with the standard of cleanliness in the room and it was serviced perfectly during our stay. There was an in-room safe and plenty of storage space for a weekend stay. There was no mini bar, but there was a basket of tuck shop goodies to help yourself to (not complementary for the ‘Comfortable’ room).

Others have commented on the parking situation. The car park is very small and, on arrival, we were fortunate to be able to squeeze into the last available space. There is a public car park nearby, about 5 minutes’ walk away. The hotel charges for car parking at £5 per day.

The only minor complaint I have is about the bathroom – there was plenty of hot water for the shower, but the bathroom was flooded each time by water leaking out the bottom of the shower screen. The shower may not be the most powerful in the world, but it’s perfectly adequate. I had to laugh at a previous reviewer of Room 110 stating that the auto flush does tend to go off without you least expect it….as this was our experience too!

Finally, yes, Room 110 is above the function room and there was a party in full swing on the Saturday night, but it was finished by midnight and did not bother us. Just remember not to ask for rooms 108 – 110 if you do want total peace and quiet.

Overall we were very happy with our stay and would recommend this hotel to others.

Fab

by TripAdvisor Member CarlyCanterbury

Loved every minute, from the moment we stepped foot in the hotel to the moment we were waved good bye. From the Fine Dining Restaurant to the gorgeous bedrooms (with the worlds most comfy beds) we could not fault a single thing. All members of staff are very friendly and have a 'can do' attitude (Thanks to Jessica and Sarah for all their help throughout our stay) I wish the hotel every succes for the future!!!!! We will definately be returning. x

Room Was Quite Nice Really

by TripAdvisor Member mbnewport

I was a little leary of our stay given the mixed reviews this hotel has received and I have to say I was expecting the worst...so I was very pleasantly surprised when I found our room to be very well done in terms of decor and cleanliness and it was quiet as well even though we faced the main street.

We booked a higher priced enviable room and while I may have wound up
paying rack rates I was just happy after an 18 hour international travel experience to have a modern spacious and relaxing room.

THe bathroom had nice amenities although the layout was pretty odd with a freestanding bathtub smack in the middle of the bathroom and made moving around awkward.

I think the bath had to have been designed by a man...there were no doors to the bathroom and it afforded virtually no privacy--which was
a main complaint of mine. The architect/designer was really trying here but missed the mark on a few important points. I can't imagine how flipped out I would have been with this bathroom arrangement if this was the first time I was spending the night with someone! Read, honeymoon or something like that. A woman's nightmare. There was a door on the toliet room but it was made of clear glass! Say no more.

Other than this the hotel was really quite nice....and the pub restaurant next door was great the first night...however it missed the mark on the second night we decided to try it again.

We skipped the fancy main restaurant in the hotel as it was a lilttle
over the top with lots of foods like quail, pigeon and snails--which this American girl had no taste for.

When I booked I requested a quiet room and we got just that. The linens were nice and the bed pretty comfortable.

The staff like most of Canterbury was very young but they seemed to do a good enough job.

Canterbury does have it's share of what looks like homeless people and beggers --much to my surprise and the area was a little dicey...
but I did feel safe in the hotel .

We did pay a lot but in Europe these days can we expect anything other than that?

All in all it seemed a good choice.

Actually a very nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Michael12358

Abode is a well designed boutique style hotel with a friendly and helpful staff. It's pefectly located for Canterbury given that it's right on the pedestrianised High Street and just a couple of minutes walk from the Cathedral. The rooms are fine; clean, well appointed and regular sized. The breakfast was delicious and service attentive. I imagine if other reviewers turned up when the hotel was full the service may slip as in any small business. We had a marvellous time even getting a place in the 30 or so capacity carpark.

Canterbury is a small city which has preserved it's heritage by not knocking down most of the ancient buildings, meaning that there are no 200 room chain hotels in the centre of town. This is about the best there is being a refurbishment of the former County Hotel and leans towards minimalism rather than fluffy in its take on 4 star. Some parts/people in Canterbury look a bit scruffy...

Rather like Basil Fawlty enquiring of a difficult customer who crticisesd the seaview from her bedroom - "Well this is Tourquay, madam. ...What did you expect herds of wilderbeast roaming the plains?"

Info on County Hotel, Canterbury, High Street

by M.Goode

I know Canterbury very well ,Brought a friend to see.. Would like to book for two. Have tried to get brochure to bo told out of Print!!
Has the name changed? I got on the internet.. Abode Canterbury

A brochure would give all I want to know.... We would like probably October but
no date fixed.

Are all rates for Rooms fixed prices??
Breakfast not included for all rooms ??
Would it be difficult to book for October ??

RE: Info on County Hotel, Canterbury, High Street

by hawkhead

www.dilos.com/hotel/4189 might give you the answers. Also, there are comments about it in VT.

Comments