Clare House

Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 1 review

don't bother

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 29, 2010

I would not recommend this to anyone else. Our first night's stay was poor, in the fact that the room was stale - not sure what it was but think the carpets could do with a shampoo. We had one small window which was insufficient to get any air into the place.
The decor was old and the house rather shabby. On the phone I was told 'plenty of room for cars' We arrived and had to leave the car parked illegally in the road until we could alert the owner to shuffle around various cars, so that we could get ours onto the drive. I reminded the owner that we were told we would get safe off-road parking, or I think he wouldn't have worried about us not having anywhere to park. Nobody wants this after a very long journey.
Breakfast room was very tiny with only space for some of the boarders. We had to go back to our room up a few flights of stairs and come back again later.
The owners were friendly and I think they were genuinely of the opinion that they were giving a good service, but it was not good, considering how much we had paid. The bathroom had nowhere to put anything, let alone a towel rail for a wet towel and I did not feel inclined to put anything on the floor. The towels were old and hard. The wooden toilet seat was split and in general everything was very run down.
Our friends' daughter was put into a single room, if you could call it that. It was an extremely small ex-shower room, still with the shower box shape in the ceiling, a minute sink and the smallest window we had seen that did not close. This caused our friends' daughter a lot of problems in the night as a lot of flies came into the room and she could do nothing about it.
She spent a bad night with no sleep. There was an old shower room next door and she felt as if the man who was using it was in her room because the noise was so loud. His manners in the shower made her feel sick. Every time a toilet in the house was flushed or a shower used, water ran down beside her room and it was very loud. I don't think this place has a single room, so if anyone gets offered it : refuse!!
The streets were extremely dirty. The area was run down and we felt uncomfortable walking to the town that evening.

Nearby Clare House

Amenities at Clare House

• Free Parking

Dover Travel Forum

Need advice about Dover, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Dover and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dover hotel reviews