The Harbour,Kent, Kent, Folkestone, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• j.charles's Profile Photo

Pityful!

We stayed for one night-prior to taking the Eurotunnel to Calais.
    On check in we were told that our room had been given to someone else!
    They offered an upgrade on the top floor (A so-called Upgrade room),after 10 minutes of checking a computer.
    Well! we were greeted on exiting the lift with stale cigarette smoke in a none smoking area-
    A room that also wreaked of cigarette smoke, a carpet that had more dirt on it than the pavement outside! Furniture from a charity shop and the oldest television known to man(with only 4 channels-all of which were distorted).
    A Bathroom that was straight out of the 60's, Mould on tile & grout and a Toilet run-off that went from the Cistern direct into the bath.

The bed had clean bed linen on,but was soft & we felt uneasy about the smell of cigarettes and the general dilapidation of the room.
    Old ceiling tiles were used and every time the wind blew they would lift and clatter-causing me to get out of bed and remove the loose ones.

After an awful nights sleep we headed for the Breakfast Area- where we were confronted with 2 hot plates with a variety of Fried Breakfast offerings-Hygiene looked questionable and the eating area was dirty and run down.
    I approached the desk to make a written complaint about our one nights stay(To be told the duty manager was dealing with an unhappy guest) I said I would put my complaint in writing and set to compose the list of concerns (3 A4 pages later) I offered it to the girl on the desk who put it in an envelope and sealed. She assured me it would be given to the Manager and I would receive a reply.
    4 weeks later NO REPLY! ,Called them twice and they had not seen my letter and offered me a callback-this never came ! After subsequent calls to speak with the Manager I gave up!
    Avoid this place !
    Rude Staff!
    Dirty & run down!
    I need a wash from just talking about it now!

Unique Quality: The Hotel has been left to fall into disrepair and is home to coach parties of Senior Citizens & Drunken Teenagers Birthday Parties.

• Fabulous room!

Stayed here one night before catching the ferry from Dover. Free parking on site.
    Really good sized room with enormous bed, balcony and sea view! Bathroom perfectly functional but could probably do with a makeover - that said, it was clean and absolutely fine. TV was a tad small but the room was a smoking room and I would sacrifice a good deal for that!
    Breakfast plentiful and well-cooked although could have been warmer.
    Staff very friendly, bar prices reasonable. Possibly the worst cabaret I've ever seen, but I'm sure that for people who like that sort of thing, that's the sort of thing they like :-)
    Would happily stay there again, particularly in view of the excellent price (£45 inc. breakfast)

• doreenellen's Profile Photo

Harbour location

Nicely situated the harbour's edge with views across the sea. The weekend packages are often advertised which includes half board, consisting of buffet breakfast and carvery dinner. entertainment and swimming pool and facilities for children also.
    We had a family weekend staying there and took over 7 rooms which was an out of season package.
    You can also arrange to go over to France by the ferry, booked at the hotel or by the harbour.

Unique Quality: Harbour views

Directions: Beside the harbour

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo

FOLKESTONES BIGGEST

This is Folkestones biggest hotel, and amazingly its cheeper than most. It is suposed to look like a ship but that has always puzzled me a bit mainly coz it doesn't Hahaha.

Unique Quality: This hotel is fun all the way with there holiday camp type of entertainment. And the view is unbeatable from most rooms. The burstin do a great all in weekend package which includes full board accommodation and a day trip to france.

Directions: Bottom of the old high street and turn right to the harbour.

More about Grand Burstin Hotel

Not the Place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member glue

We as a family of 4 stayed at the Grand Burstin Hotel for a weekend. I have to agree with the negative reports I have already read. The review which referred to Bouncers hanging around reception is exactly like it says. On my particular stay I witnessed one of the bouncers harrassing a guest and asking him to step outside!!! I found this quiet disturbing. The hotel does not cater for children and yet it advertisers itself as a 'family hotel' The standard room was very basic, dull and in need of a new bathroon. Be prepared to have cold showers as the water is on a shared immersion heater. Only one of us managed to have a warm shower during our weekend stay. Reception offerred us to use showers in the swimming pool changing room which was 5 floors below our room!! I have to say its not a place i would return to and service was not good. However the food was ok and there was a fair option to choose from

nice upgrade

by TripAdvisor Member fox01

We have stayed at the Burstin hotel on and off for the last ten years and found it to be good value for a couple of nights stay. On our last visit in June we booked a standard twin room(harbour side) on opening the door the smell just hit us, my wife went down to reception, who then gave her keys for a room three doors down. Opening this door the smell was less than the previous room but still overpowering. On the second visit to reception we were give keys to one off the premier rooms which was very nice in comparision to the standard room. So well done to the reception staff who did not quibble and sorted it out with no fuss and no hassle to us.

Dont Be Late

by TripAdvisor Member coachie1

spent a 4 day break at the burstin with a coach tour.
coach was held up on way down from scotland and duty manager came on board to tell us the dining room was closed and no meal was available. he suggested using local chip shop.
room was basic no shower
food was good reasonable choices
enterrtainment was fair
bar staff in maritime lounge were overworked at busy times
this is third visit noticed general decline in standards from previous visits

Great (Well up graded since 2004) new reception etc

by TripAdvisor Member John&Barbara

Me and my fiance (both 23 yrs) and my mum and dad (in there 50's) stayed in this hotel from monday to friday.
We stayed her a couple of years ago, and had a good time even though it was more targetted for the elderly people (bingo etc) But we had a great time, we joined in the bingo and won £20 which payed for our drinks at the bar. The staff are very friendly and polite, always went out of there way to make us guests happy.
The food was great, waiters and waitresses were friendly and would do anything we asked with great enthusiasm e.g fetch more bread, ketchup, drinks....
We were served by a young 18yrs old waiter all week called (Matt) he was new to working there, he made us feel welcome, advised us on trips and places to visit, we followed his advice and had a great time (if you plan on going, sit in matts section of the restaurant (harbour) he was very helpful and friendly and would bring your holiday up to a 4* rating. He gave us great advice and never failed to make us all laugh.

The rooms were very nice a little problem at first with a broken TV, but they replaced it with a new TV no hastle (with TELETEXT too).
We would go back to this hotel again and has already started our save up for next year,
This is the hotel for you if you cant afford the foreign holidays and just fancy a nice little break in the south of england (Temperature was hitting 30-39 degrees during july) with a pleasent beach, this is a place for you.

Hope i helped

(try not to go off the bad ratings, dont expect to much its only a 2*, and i would highly grade it at a 3-4 star if i never new its rating.

Better than I expected

After reading some of the hotel reviews, I really was'ent looking forward to going to the Burstin, I was pleasently suprised, the rooms were very basic but ours was spotlessly clean, the chambermaid kept the room clean and tidy every day, the bathroom was cleaned daily, we had clean towels every day the food was always warm and edible, with plenty of choice,

the staff were very pleasant, even though some of them did'ent have very good english, they smiled beautifully, the entertainment was good, and the walks around the hotel were very pleasant, its a great base for the channel tunnel. If I had just one critisism it was the bathrooms did not have showers, which I think in 2006 need to be an essential part of the package, so go with an open mind I sure you will enjoy it, I did.

wheelchair

by sylviarandall

I am coming to the Burstin Hotel in September but unfortunately I have to go into hospital in 3 days time for a knee replacement. As I have been so looking forward to my short holiday I would like to know if there is anywhere where I could hire an electric wheelchair. I am coming with Mr Roy Lewis on Skills coach
and could I please request a low floor.
Looking foreward to your reply

Sylvia Randall

Re: wheelchair

by leics

http://www.wheelchairusers.org.uk/content/shopmo.htm (Shopmobility) should be able to sort you out with a wheelchair, but do contact them quickly to make a booking.

You will need to contact the coach/tour operator directly about coach access.

Re: wheelchair

by northeast80

Good advice from above.
Quite a few years ago we were snowed in in the Burstin and they were very accommodating, I hope they'll be just as helpful for you.

Comments