3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Average

Costs 118% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Kettleman's Profile Photo

4*, golf and fitness centre

"Victorian splendour on the seafront with fantastic modern leisure facilities typifies the Hythe Imperial - truly a perfect resort hotel.

Set in 50 acres incorporating our own golf course and Reflections Spa and Leisure with indoor pool, tennis courts, sauna, steam room and spa offering body treatments, we can give you a break to remember. "

The exterior looks a little faded... although the picture borrowed off their website makes it look less faded and more vibrant than I have ever seen it.

Unique Quality: Sea views and good restaurant.

Directions: Eastern end of the town on the sea front.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo

HYTHE'S BEST HOTEL

Here is a list of all the facilities on offer at the hotel Imperial.
    Indoor heated swimming pool.
    spa.
    gym.
    Sauna.
    Sunbed.
    Beauty treatments.
    9 hole golf course.
    AA rosette winning restaurant.
    AND MOST ROOMS HAVE
    Superior twin rooms.
    Deluxe double rooms.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo

HYTHE'S BEST HOTEL

This is Hythes finest hotel so if you want the best then stay here. It was built in 1880 and renovated in 1999 but still keeps its victorian feel and looks, its got fantastic sea views and is set in 50 acres of land sweeping back to the Hythe canal. All rooms have a sea or golf course view. Although i have never stayed at this hotel, i have been to a wedding reseption, and the service we got that day was second to none. It may be a little expensive but its well worth the extra money. All the facilities the hotel has to offer are shown on the next page

More about Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel & Spa

4 * setting and service in 3* accommadation

by TripAdvisor Member wheeliequeen

Hythe Imperial Hythe - Fantastic location but needs refurbishment

Hythe - Kent - The Imperial - Not 4* but still very good.
November 2006
Single business women

This hotel is in a great location, literally yards from the sea front, Hythe is quiet and unspoilt - not a candy floss or chip shop to be seen anywhere along the sea front - gorgous!

The hotel is classed as a 4 star and I have no doubt it achieves this by ticking most of the boxes for size, pool , food etc but the room badly need redecorating. The first room I was given I was not at all satisfied with but reception quickly and without extra cost upgraded me to a lovely exec room which was to a 4 * standard.

The staff are so very nice and try to do everything possible to please. I would think this hotel as so many around England struggle to make a profit and a refurbishment in a hotel of this size would I guess cost millions so if you can accept the decor and condition of the rooms as being no more than 3* it more than makes up for it in good service, good food and good pool and leasure centre and nice food at a reasonable price. The breakfast is also excellant.

The matriarch of Hythe seaside resorts??

by TripAdvisor Member ps923

Everyone I know who's been to the area always goes on about this hotel, and I've heard it's the best on this part of the coast. It dominates the promenade proudly - it's a little dated, but all the same we had more than a pleasant stay here in June.

We were part of a wedding party staying at the hotel (but the actual wedding was held at the beautiful Lymne Castle nearby). On the night before the wedding, we reserved one of the small ante-rooms for a private party with a buffet. The staff were friendly and the food was good.

Check-in the following day took a little while but was hassle free, although we did have to make our way though another wedding party, (being held at the hotel) walking through the foyer with all our bags was a bit awkward (for them and us).

After the wedding we arrived back late and the bar was still open, which gave us a great chance to relax in the nice atmosphere after the busy day.

The room was 'cosy' and a little tired but had a beautiful view of the bay (beyond the car-park). We needed to keep window wide open all night due to the room being so warm (although it was June to be fair.) We were really not there long enough to cast any more judgement. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful, with a variety of hot and cold items.

All in all, the hotel was absolutely fine, nothing to really rant nor rave about in my opinion. We felt the rack rate was a little expensive for the room (despite its 4* accolade). However, this was partly our own fault - if we'd got a bargain like some of the other reviewers had, I'd have been a happy bunny!

The Hottest Hotel in the UK?

by TripAdvisor Member Hamish5150

Stayed two nights in Oct 06. Great, attractive location. It is a grand building with beautiful views & gardens from most room aspects.

The Hotel and rooms are a little dated, but clean.

Our only complaint was our room, the bedroom corridors and the dining room were too hot. Within our room & ensuite there were boiling hot pipes everywhere...presumambly a hang-over from the Hotel's old design. We had to keep windows open all the time...not ideal with young children around.

Despite the heat, we did enjoy our stay with the stars of the show being the Staff. Despite being run off their feet at breakfast time every effort was made to ensure we were looked after. I would describe all the staff we encountered as friendly, professional and conscientious.

cant fault it

by TripAdvisor Member JoandBen

originally just went to the hotel for my best friends wedding reception but on seeing their room, we booked in! we stayed in an executive room which was like the size of a small flat! very comfy beds, bath robes provided, two arm chairs, tv and good size wardrobe and complimentry bottled water and tea and coffee making facilities, room and bedding was very clean. The bathroom was large spacious and clean with a huge shower!
we had a room with a view over looking the sea and beach on one side and a view of the golf course on the other. room service was excellent and the food was delicious. For breakfast there was a wide range and although we were late down for breakfast it was no problem and the staff rearranged the tables so we could sit with the rest of the wedding party. if you really want to splash out I would suggest the saltwood suite, complete with jaquzzi and built in tv to watch while you are in it! there is also a large walk in shower. cant fault our stay and look foward to going back

An OK traditional hotel in a good location

by TripAdvisor Member MikeC_2006

A traditional four-star hotel right on the seafront in Hythe.

Slightly oddly laid out, in the sense that although it's right on the seafront, a lot of the public areas (bar and lounge) face to the back of the hotel (albeit over pleasant hotel gardens). I think there is some kind of terrace overlooking the sea, but as I visited in January I didn't really investigate! Probably worth booking a room with a sea view, to make the best of the lovely views out over the English Channel.

Room was spacious, but as so often with supposedly up-market traditional UK hotels the overall standard of decor and furnishings etc felt a bit tired. A decent shower (hoorah - such a rarity!) but the folding shower screen over the bath was ineffective so I created a minor flood on the bathroom floor.

Bedroom window was jammed completely shut, and member of hotel staff could not un-jam it. Not a major problem in January (though I still like to have a bit of fresh air in a hotel room).

Bar area was ok - not particularly luxurious, but ok. Lounge area was comfortable.

Decent breakfast, with nicely cooked hot items. Cold buffet had all the usual stuff - nothing fancy. Better-than-average orange juice.

Helpful and friendly front-desk staff.

Shabby bedroom with very poor housekeeping

by TripAdvisor Member elizabethb

I stayed here for 5 unpleasant nights in March 2007.

Negatives:

For a 4 star, I would expect to see in the bathroom: cotton wool, cotton buds; body lotion; hair conditioner - but there was none.
Only one soap was provided - to cover both the bath and the sink which were at opposite ends of the room.
Bath crystals were provided for the first night, but were not replenished.
I asked for all of the above for my 2nd night, but was only given body lotion - this too was not replenished, despite me leaving the empty bottle out all week - it was just left there.
The power to the room failed one morning, so I had to get washed and dressed in the dark. I complained to reception on my way out at 7am - it was still not fixed at 7pm when I returned, so I had to wait for an engineer to come and fix it.
The brochure stated that radio 2 and 4 (ridiculously having only those 2 stations) were available via the TV - they werent. I asked reception to fix this, but they didnt.
Reception staff are obviously useless to give complaints too.
The website states that hot food is available for room service - getting this is like pulling teeth - there is only a sandwich menu in the room - so you have to phone reception - who tell you to phone the restaurant directly as they are unable to connect you! - and then the hot food menu can be read out to you by a member of staff! Totally unacceptable. (And even then my chicken and brie salad arrived without brie)
The bedroom was filthy - the skirting boards had never been dusted and there was piles of fluff in the corners of the room. Personal hairs all over the bathroom floor when I arrived - disgusting.
And the loud, vibrating, thumping noise of the extractor fan above the bath means one is unable to have a nice long soak.
The room was last decorated c. 1980 - I am sure it was lovely back then. There were large unpleasant stains on both of the chairs (and on the wallpaper)
Coffee and hot chocolate was not replaced each day - imagine how nice that is at 6am in the morning to boil the kettle to make some coffee to find out that none of the sachets have been replaced!
There is no clock or radio in the bedroom, so make sure you bring your own.
This is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in and I would never stay here again.

Positives:
The restaurant staff are very attentive, and remember your favourite drinks / table etc
The food is delicious.
The downstairs lounge and bars areas are beautifully decorated with candles and wooden panelling.
Gym/ pool/ spa area OK - bit dated but they have everything you could you want.

A very enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member BeckySurrey

We stayed for 2 nights for a relaxing weekend break, and found the hotel to be a very enjoyable place to stay.
We were upgraded to an executive room over looking the gardens, which was enormous. Although many of the reviews have stated that the hotel is shabby, I would say more that it is filled with antiques, basically if you want somewhere a bit different with a traditional look and antique furniture then this is the place for you, however, if you are searching for the usual 'identikit 4-star, could be anywhere in the world' hotel room, then you probably would consider this to be too old fashioned.
All the staff were fantastic, friendly and helpful. There was no room service charge, and the breakfast was excellent.
We would definately go back here again.

Comments