Hilton Maidstone Hotel

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hilton Maidstone Hotel

Fair

We stayed here for two nights whilst attending a wedding. It's one of those conference-centre/beside-the-motorway type hotels, and looks like a branch of some sort of out-of-town supermarket whilst trying to be a cut above average.

The Good:
The staff were extremely pleasant and helfpul.
The orange juice at breakfast was first class.

The Bad:
It advertises having an 'a la carte' restaurant. In effect it is a carvery. You choose your starter and pudding from the buffet and they take your order for main course and wine, which they serve to your table. The main courses were definately carvery-standard: OK but nothing to shout about.

Breakfast is a buffet affair and the food was fine. However, they expect you to use tongs to try to lift fried eggs out of a tray to put on your plate!

The room was large and quite nice. But there was a dead fly in the bathroom and the 'how did we do' questionnaire that was left on the bed had already been filled out by the previous occupants of the room.

I ordered The Guardian as my morning paper and got The Times. I was told that this was because the overnight computer printer was not working. Quite why that meant that I didn't get the right paper I don't know.

The Ugly:
It is pretty much unexcusable to have dirty plates in the stack that is at the buffet. There were a number of plates that the dishwasher had failed to clean and these were stuck together with dried-on egg.

And...
You may want to bring a taxi number with you. The hotel has a deal with Expresscabs. I booked an Expresscab 24 hours before I needed it. It turned up 20 minutes late - after two phone calls to the company to ask where it was. We arrived at the wedding about 3 minutes before it was about to start.

Poor service, run down, dirty dishes!

by TripAdvisor Member rasp12

I have stayed at the Hilton multiple times, not out of preference, but for commuting convenience. The first time I stayed here, I was put in one of the older, un-renovated rooms. The bed sagged in the middle and smelled of mildew. There is no elevator, but it's a short climb up the stairs to the second floor. Ask for a room on the ground
floor, down the hallway by the restaurant. Those rooms, I later found
out, have been updated.

The rooms and bathrooms are a nice size. It's a little strange to watch yourself in the shower, though. Every bathroom has a tub-to-ceiling mirror. Water always leaks out onto the floor while showering, so be careful as you step out. They do not give lotion, so you may want to bring your own.

I have always had multiple dirty cups or spoons everytime I've been here. It's just a little annoying to have to wash your own coffee mug in the mornings. TV has limited channels. Wireless (not free) is available in the lobby and bar areas. If you stay in room 146, you can still receive good enough signal. You can also connect via cable inside your room for a fee per day or per week.

Many of the rooms are equipped with the same 'extras'. But, as you increase your Hilton frequent stay status, they start to give you bathrobes, or chocolates, or a bottle of wine. I have found that these extras only appear on the first day of your stay. Even, if I'm there for 6 nights, I only get one 2-piece box of chocolates.

Breakfast buffet is a traditional English breakfast.

The Living Well fitness center is free for guests. As with most gyms,
this one is also busy around 5-7pm. There are 6 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, 3 rowers, 3 bikes, weight machines. The gym (but not the
equipment) was recently renovated and looks much nicer. Pool is a decent size; it’s divided in half, but without lane markers for the lap-swim designated half.

They test their fire alarms once a week, usually on a tues or thurs around 11am. It's really, really loud. Once, right after I flew in and was trying to rest, the fire alarm went off. I thought it was the
usual test, but because it kept on ringing, I walked out. I noticed it was quite calm and normal in the lobby and bar areas, but there was a lady in a bright vest who shooed me outside. I asked her about the people in the bar area--shouldn't they evacuate as well? She replied that they're part of a funeral party. I guess that meant they didn't need to participate in the fire drill. This is a strange safety criteria.

Most recently, I had an encounter with the front desk staff which made me decide (if I come back to Maidstone) that I will never stay at this hotel again. I called the front desk to ask them to send a note to a colleague who was also staying at the hotel. The message was delivered 2 hours later. During this time, I had called again to send a second message. I found out this second message was never delivered. After returning to the hotel, I spoke with two people at the front desk. I stated that it was frustrating these messages, business related, were never delivered. My colleague did not come in to work as a result of the miscommunication, and I was worried that something may have gone wrong. One of staff told me that it's not their responsibility to make sure people get to work on time. That's not the point!! As a Hilton, and one that caters so frequently to business travelers, it's a courtesy to accurately deliver timely messages to patrons. Anyway, this was an aggravating experience.

Overall, I would say, it has been a learning experience. Beware, not all Hiltons are created equal.

Enjoyed stay

by TripAdvisor Member jc67

Stayed here for four nights. Had seen previous reviews so felt a little worried by some comments. Need not have worried.
Rooms are large with modern furniture, beds are very comfortable. Very good quality toiletries in bathroom. Everything spotlessly clean.
Food excellent. Breakfast extensive - at least 8/9 different types of fresh fruit available., bacon and sausages etc very tasty - large selection breads and pastries. My only complaint is that they put a vacuum jug of coffee and one of hot water on table instead of bringing it fresh. Dinner very good.
Staff in dining room mostly young - very pleasant and helpful.
Overall a very enjoyable experience.
We were in a coach party and as we left one of the management team came out to see us off.
Would certainly stay here again.

Nice stay, would stay again

by TripAdvisor Member Intrepid_Explorer82

Me and my husband stayed here in September, and booked a king size garden room.

The room was of a good size, but was in need of modernisation and a bit of decoration - there was floral everywhere in the room!

The breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice, and the waiters were very attentive.

Check in/check out was quick. Some of our luggae was dropped off by a family member before we arrived, and was in our room waiting for us.

Would stay here again

not bad

by TripAdvisor Member pxk101

All in all this was a good hotel. The pluses were the swimming pool and the comfortable room. The definite minus was the poor meal on the Saturday night (special offer included this meal). It was just badly cooked. If we had paid the full menu price we would have had to send both main courses back to the kitchen. Breakfast was fine. Checkout was a confusion. The complimentary newspaper was billed so we had to deal with that ; the bar bill was questioned as it turned out that the
drinks are very expensive; and there was a small addition for a charity donation that we had not been told about. In essence, I would definitely go to this hotel again, but I would take my evening meals and all drinks at the rather good pub 5 minutes walk up the road.

Comments