The Moorings Hotel

Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 review

Tags

Family Travel

Avoid if Possible

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 2, 2012

I was travelling down to Kent from Glasgow for my Aunt’s funeral. This was obviously a very traumatic and upsetting time. I left Glasgow very early via train that morning and arrived to your hotel about an hour before my Aunt’s funeral service.
Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the police who were attending the scene where the front door had been smashed in. We reluctantly put our bags in the room (which was dark, dirty, smelly and had a shaky door and wires hanging off the walls connected by extension cords) and rushed out to attend the funeral service and burial of my Aunt. After the service, my partner and I were extremely upset and felt very unsafe not only leaving our bags with the hotel, but felt that we were not safe to stay overnight as well. At that point we left the funeral service early (not only missing the wake, but having to rush through condolences and goodbyes with family members – some of which had not been seen in years) to return to the hotel to collect our bags. At this late time we were unable to find anything appropriate to replace the room we had booked and were forced to rush back to London on the train and head back up to Glasgow all in the one day.
We arrived home at 2am after having left the day prior at 6am. This entire sequence of events not only added to the trauma and heartache of the day, but created added expenses and extreme inconvenience to ourselves.
I had requested a response and a refund from the hotel and received no reply in return. We did not stay in the hotel as we did not feel safe, which we clearly stated as we handed back the room key. Given the complete lack of response, I had further requested a refund from my credit card company for this charge and it was approved. However, the hotel have since contacted my credit card company and indicated that the ‘service was available for our use and it was our choice not to use it’.
I find this completely underhanded, disgusting and totally lacking in any sort of customer service or basic human empathy on their part. They are stating that I CHOSE to abandon my Aunt’s funeral service and my family to travel 9 hours north and therefore should be charged for a room I did not stay in? I booked a secure room in a hotel that clearly stated on the website ‘Sarah and Rose are our managers here at the Moorings Hotel and their aim is to provide a welcoming, personal service to make your stay a comfortable and enjoyable experience.’ – I was welcomed by the police, broken glass, confused staff members and at no point at all was the experience relaxed or enjoyable. The room and entire premises was clearly unsafe and unsecure.

Nearby The Moorings Hotel

The Moorings Hotel

• Moorings Hotel Sevenoaks

Address: 97 Hitchen Hatch Lane, Sevenoaks, KENT TN13

Sevenoaks Travel Forum

Need advice about Sevenoaks, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Sevenoaks and ask our Answer Gurus.

Sevenoaks Travel Guide