Travelodge Tunbridge Wells

Mount Ephraim, Hotel Currently Under Renovation (Formerly "The New Wellington Hotel"), Royal Tunbrid
Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Travelodge Tunbridge Wells

Abominable waste of money

by TripAdvisor Member EsmereldaBotswana

I stayed here last weekend for my sister's wedding and all I can say is that the rooms (I saw a few of them) were tired, dated and not very well cleaned. The showers in everyone's room that I spoke to alternated between scalding and freezing (same as a review on this site from last July). The staff varied from one really nice chap to the others who were rude, surly and unhelpful verging on obstructive.

Despite the bride and groom and most of the wedding party being assured that we could all have early check in times when we booked the rooms months ago, in reality we were refused the keys and ended up with all the women getting changed in the bride's room, all the men in another room, and my husband in the corridor!

Check in and out process is slow and ponderous due to only having one member of staff on at any one time.

Frankly, I would not stay here ever again or recommend it to anyone. It does not deserve the 3 stars it has, or to charge what are extortionate rates for what it delivers. You'd be better off finding a local B&B. If you are looking for somewhere to stay for your wedding - go elsewhere.

Shame for the High Rocks that this hotel is affiliated to it as the High Rocks where the wedding was held was wonderful as were the staff.

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member London300

We've Stayed in the New Wellington on 4 occasions, each time in different standard double rooms, and have found each room to be spacious, modern and clean. the staff are all very friendly, and they have a fabulous 'Seasons' restaurant. I can use my laptop in the lounge at any time with 'wireless' connection. The hotel is in a perfect location for the town centre and Pantiles. I couldn't disagree more with the previous review about this excellent value for money hotel. My wife and I stayed the same weekend (Friday and Saturday), and on returning from our lovely full English breakfast, witnessed some very obnoxious guests shouting at the reception staff at 10am, demanding to check-in. As the hotel was full on the Friday, this was simply impossible, as guests were still in bed from the previous night ! I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and none of them will permit you a check-in much before 3pm, unless you fork out for a 2 night stay. I felt sorry for the poor man behind reception, as a gang of up to 20 applied pressure on him. The housekeeping staff are not miracle workers, and can't make beds while people are still in them. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, as it's better than 3 other hotels we've stayed at in Tunbridge Wells in the past.

Utterly awful

by TripAdvisor Member TWellsy

This is the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to visit. The staff are incredibly rude. The Scottish bloke on reception ignored us when we arrived, he was studiously working on some paperwork, then went off and served someone on the bar - no "excuse me" or apologies for disappearing mid way through checking us in. He mumbeled all the way through telling us the procedures, we asked for a no smoking room and were booked into a smoking room.
The room was clean but dated. The kettle gave my partner a small electrical shock, but it looked like it was bought in about 1983, as did the hairdryer (which I didn't dare use for fear of electrocution) and TV. The bathroom was OK, but as other reviewers have noted dated, the shower went between hot and cold.
There is a lot of noise from the road at the front of the hotel.
Breakfast is served from 7.00am onwards but the waiter was not ready and ignored us until he had finished his incredibly important job of folding napkins, he was also very rude. The coffe is disgusting and was cold. My breakfast of scrambled egg on toast was the worst meal I have ever eaten. The eggs tased funny, like washing up liquid and were undercooked. My partner's poached eggs also had not been cooked properly. We both felt very ill after eating the breakfast.
Tunbridge Wells is a really nice town to visit, if you do DO NOT STAY HERE it will ruin your entire stay.

Pleasantly surprised after reading some reviews

by TripAdvisor Member Hants31

We stayed at the New Wellington late June for one night, as part of a coach group and we found it perfectly adequate for our purpose. We noticed that it had been refurbished and we couldn't have had a more comfortable stay. The bedrooms and bathrooms in most cases were larger than normal and nicely furnished. The staff helpful and friendly. The set-menu dinner was delicious and the buffet breakfast catered for all tastes (and appetites!). We have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel.

Adequate!

by TripAdvisor Member Churchtown

We booked this hotel because we were attending a wedding at High Rocks, a linked venue. My husband was recovering from a knee operation and was using crutches to help him to walk. He went to reception and I struggled in with our cases. We had to ask for help with them and the man on reception grudginly carried them up to our room. The room was adequate, mould around the bath etc but otherwise reasonably clean. The breakfasts were adequate but unexciting. The hotel is old and everything creaks!! so our night were disturbed by people coming in late and moving about.

The best thing about the hotel is the restaurant. The service and the food were excellent.

Fine for the money, good breakfast!

by TripAdvisor Member ZittaN

We stayed here for a night whilst we were attending a wedding at The High Rocks and there was a complimentary bus service to the hotel. The lobby/ bar area is very nice, although because it was after 2am we were unable to get a late night drink, the staff are immune to bribery it seems (which in hangover hindsight probably proved for the best)! Rooms are large but dated looking. We enjoyed a very good breakfast the next morning and late check out. Staff were helpful. Hotel is located in a very good spot convenient for exploring the town and surrounding areas. Id recommend it for the price.

Avoid at all costs!

by TripAdvisor Member Unhappybunny

We stayed here after the most perfect wedding at the High Rocks for a family wedding which couldn't have been better until we arrived back at the hotel. We went back for drinks at the so called 'hotel bar' and were spoken to in a disgusting manner by the scottish bloke behind the bar to keep the noise down. Fair enough to be asked to keep it down but the way we were spoken to, well shouted at was completey foul, rude, abrupt..I could go on. The manager was even more ill-mannered and made the whole situation a lot worse.

The rooms are shabby and not so 'new', the showers were awful, and one member of our family stayed in a room that had blood splattered up the wall. Nice.

Breakfast was served in a hallway which was a heath safety hazard in itself, where the buffet style food was non existent as the staff didnt bother to replenish it.
A bad ending to a very perfect wedding. The hotel has huge potential but they really haven't a clue. Whatever you do dont stay there!

Nice hotel, shame about service

by TripAdvisor Member Sheila22London

We stayed at the New Wellington Hotel as we had a wedding at the nearby sister venue, the High Rocks. The room was very nice and clean and the hotel itself is a lovely building with a great view of the common. It's only a 10 minute walk to the town centre, so it's in an ideal place. When we returned from the High Rocks at 2am our key had gone 'missing' so we asked the manager where it was. The manager was drunk, and was openly sat drinking with other guests. The night porter informed us that this was a regular occurence ! After about 20 minutes the manager produced our key from his pocket, drunkenly laughing thinking it was some kind of joke. All we wanted to do was go to bed and we were not amused by his antics. During our wait for the key a fight had broken out in the bar, which the manager completely ignored ! The following day we went for lunch at the High Rocks and were horrified to see the hotel manager working there behind reception, he must work at both venues ! We managed to avoid him, and had a lovely lunch, I bet he must have had a major hangover as he could barely walk the previous night !

dated smelly room

by TripAdvisor Member blueglenn1954

We stayed here for just one night as we had a special event on at the High Rocks.
The parking here is a joke ! The tiny car park at the rear is hopelessly inadequate, so you end up parking on the front lawn opposite the main entrance when the main park is full.
When entering the hotel you will find reception round the back of the bar ( very strange ).
On checking in ,the manager offered to show us where our room was, He came out of reception and pointed up the stairs and said " Up there, on the left " Mmmm, that was a good start we thought.
When we found the room ,we were nearly knocked over by the smell of stale cigarette smoke. The room needed airing so we opened the window, something that could have been done hours before.
The room was adequate for one night, uninspiring decor, MFI type wardrobe and a dressing table, Tea and coffee making facilities, and a very dated bathroom with bath , shower and toilet.
The floors in this hotel creak bigtime ,so dont expect a great nights sleep if you are a light sleeper, and dont even think of 'creeping' to the loo at night without disturbing your partner The breakfast was good and plentiful, though you need three hands, one to hold the tray cover, one to hold the plate and one to put the food on your plate!
The High Rocks on the other hand was fantastic !! Hard to see how the two are connected really.
The food was great , much better than we expected, the entertainment was good and the staff pleasant. If only we could have stayed here this review would be much more complimentary!
So if you stay one night it's adequate, If i stay in Tunbridge Wells again though, I will go elsewhere.

what a cheek

by TripAdvisor Member foodqueen82

we stayed here 4 our 25th wedding anniversary with a trip to high rocks on the saturday night for a dinner disco.
we also had a party of family staying here as well
the reception staff are so unhelpful its almost a chore to serve you .
high rocks was fantastic the staff were great and we had a fantastic night.(thanks to bob the dj).
we had booked the honeymoon suite which was lovely but the bathroom was abismall needs a total overhaul.
on the sunday morning the cleaner knocked on the door and proceeded to come in this was at 8.30 in the morning your supposedly meant to check out at 11.
(whats that about)
breakfast was lovely but the staff were so miserable everything to much trouble.
the hotel isnt cheap and you would expect better service
yes the scottish man is still there and still rude maybe a course in customer care would do him good (but i doubt it)
stay there again nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Morris dancing requires certain levels of fitnessMorris dancing requires certain levels of fitness

The George & Dragon at SpeldhurstThe George & Dragon at Speldhurst