Cliffs Hotel

Costs about the same, but rated 27% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Cliffs Hotel

Not my cup of tea

by TripAdvisor Member masha4

We stayed in the cliffs hotel in June 2005 but that it not what I expected. Their wesite is nicely designed and you would think you are going in a porshe hotel but that is not the case. Neither me or my husband liked it. For those who are a bit traditional I would recommend it but for those who nee something contemporary it is completely out of way. I liked Blackpool but the hotels are very outdated except the hilton and Best Western which can be very expensive. I would love going back to Blackpool next year but I want to say in a better hotel.

Best by Far

by TripAdvisor Member uncle_dekka

Having stayed at the Cliffs on several occasions in recent years, I have to write in it's defence following the review below. Yes, the website is indeed very impressive, but nowhere does it mention the word "contemporary".
As Hotels go in Blackpool (and I have stayed at many) the Cliffs, for me at least, is second to none. Quite excellent food, brilliant entertainment for the kids, and well above average entertainment for the adults. What more do you need ?
Well, how about good sized comfortable bedrooms ? Great leisure facilities ? Friendly helpful staff ?
Sometimes you can even attach a Sunday night stay onto a midweek break for only £10 extra. Worth it for their Roast Beef dinner alone !

Not for us.

by TripAdvisor Member Barryjohn

My wife & I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel, we are of an age where peace and comfort are of major importance. Sorry but neither were available here beware of any hotel that runs a childrens club it means swimming pool is full of children dumped by parents whilst they spend most of the day in the bar. Evening cabaret ruined by children running about, parents being asked by DJ to control their kids whilst entertainment is on stage. Bedroom far too hot even with heating turned off walls paper thin which is not pleasant with noisey neighbours. 45 mins to complete an evening meal due to the speed of service from staff (3 course & a bottle of wine). I like to slowly digest my food. We stay in Blackpool every year but not at this Hotel again.

Hotel great - food rubbish

Stayed at The Cliffs for 2 nights with my young family. The facilities in the hotel were excellant and it was very clean. The entertainment at night was much better than we had anticipated and we had a really good laugh. The only negative was the food. The main courses were not very good.

Warm Welcome again at The Cliffs

My friend and i have just enjoyed another few days at The Cliffs.
The Staff went out of their way to help people (including ourselves)
We went to the free entertainment which was marvellous.
The pool, jacuzzi, sunbeds were all great treats !
Whilst we were there we came across people in their 30's with young children,and all the ages up from there !! All were enjoying their breaks
Once again I reiterate how good I found everything
Food ,bedrooms, public areas !
I will return

friendly welcome

stayed at cliffs over the easter bank holiday,got sea view requested,room clean & tidy (windows need a good clean).10/10 for the staff,on reception,leisure club & restaraunt very helpful & friendly.will definately go back to cliffs in the future.

Had a theft!

We have just come back from a weekend at the Cliffs. We had gone as a large family party of 11.

On arrival our reaction was mixed. The hotel is very dated in terms of decor but appears clean. I wasn't too keen on the fact blankets were used on the beds (you have to wonder how these were cleaned!)

Following dinner one of the boys returned to the room to get his jumper to find £60 had been taken from his wallet and his MP3 player had been stolen. These had been left by the bed. There was no sign of forced entry. Therefore the theft had taken place while we were all at dinner. A member of staff had been the only person in the room during that time delivering towels. This was reported to the manager who wasn't really very interested in our concerns. She said she knew it was not the member staff and highlighted that as the rooms only had flimsy yale locks anybody could get in by sliding a card down the side of the door. When asked about the crime rate at the hotel she wouldn't say. We had the feeling we were getting fobbed off.

The police came the following day and said there were theft issues which they had raised with the hotel on previous occassions. This fit with the attitude of the manager, on reflection I feel this had all happened before and she knew there was nothing we could do about it so simply didn't care.

On our last night the manager had two bottles of wine sent to the table which was the only recompence for the upset.

This totally ruined our holiday, also knowing your rooms were so unsecure was very frightening and would make the hotel totally unsuitable for anybody staying in a room alone.

What is most disturbing is the hotel knows that they have a theft problem (whether it be from people internal to the hotel or external to the hotel) and they have done nothing to address it. It is desperately in need of a new locking system.

On the other hand the hotel has it's positive points. It is great for children, having a swimming pool, gym, table tennis and snooker/pool tables. Although that wouldn't be good for those not tolerant of children running around all over the place. The food is good and the service very fast. The serving staff we had were friendly and helpful.

Overall for a 2* hotel and the prices you get a very good deal for your money. However I wouldn't wish to stay there again unless they sorted their security problems out and modernised their locks.

Wrong choice

by TripAdvisor Member notjustlinda

Just returned from a 2 day break at the Cliffs. Food was good but not exceptional, hotel fairly clean, dining room lovely and staff very hardworking. The room was small but adequate, entertainment better than I expected but too many children too late at night. The leisure facilities may as well not have been there as the pool was more of a play pool for children and not even big enough for a decent swim. The massuese was away till Tuesday and we didn't even look at the solarium or sauna, not much point if you can't get in the pool afterwards. If you want peace and quiet forget The Cliffs, the walls are wafer thin and the fire doors in the corridors bang till the early hours (something needs to be done about them). Overall I thought it was poor value for the £50 per person per night, BB & EM. We could easily have got accommodation nearer the centre with equally good entertainment and food for £25 each or less B & B. Maybe not on such a grand scale but we only used a very small part of the hotel anyway. At least there weren't any hen parties or stag groups there. Overall, a nice place as far as Blackpool goes but in need of improvements and more consideration for the adults re leisure and entertainment.

Fab For Families

by TripAdvisor Member SOG

OK, the hotel is dated (old carpet and lick of paint required) but you soon forget that. The food was great, everything from Salmon, Steak, Salad Buffet etc, even our young childred aged 8y & 10y ate off the three course menu at no extra cost,(the usual kids menu is also offered but mine like proper food).

We had adjoining family room, 1 x double room and 1 x twin room both with TV's in each room which was fab as the children woke up early and stayed peacefully watching kids TV whilst we had a lie in - bliss! Decor was fine, bathroom dated tho, but everything was clean and comfortable.

The pool and kids club is brilliant and the staff who looked after them were great, the kids loved it! They even had a kids tea party on Saturday night and we were able to have a meal together in the restaurant.

The evening entertaiment was very good, comedian, singer and compere both nights. Also separate no smoking part of club was great, even tho the airconditioning was very efficient and not smokey at all.

Very child friendly, the most child tolerant hotel we have stayed in! Weekends are for families with lots of children running about. If you are elderly or prefer less children then don't stay at weekend, go Sunday-Friday when it is quiet and more peaceful and you'll get a good rate!!!!

Parking is a problem, very limited but if no spaces in carpark (very limited) or surrounding area the Savoy just along to the right has a large pay and display carpark which charges £3 for 24hours or £10 for 168hours! Drop off luggage and park up.
We will return for another stress free weekend with the kids!

We also had a theft

by TripAdvisor Member pandjlloyd

We stayed at the Cliffs during June 2006. This was our third visit and we can report that the rooms are adequate and the food very good ,served by efficient, attentive staff. Unfortunately the stay was marred by the theft from our room of cameras and a mobile phone. This happened while we were at dinner. A fellow guest also reported money being removed from his wallet and another guest was unable to get into his room after dinner because the latch on the Yale lock was activated preventing the key from opening the door. After reporting this to the reception he returned to his room and found the door opened o.k. Our room showed no signs of a break in but as the police said, anyone can get in quickly by using a plastic card. The locks are completely inadequate.
Apart from completing a report of our incident the hotel staff showed no concern for what appeared to be an inside job. In fact we have just heard from the hotel that they have referred the matter to their insurance brokers who in turn have dismissed our claim for compensation. They say the hotel is unable to accept any responsibility for the loss.
So much for customer relations.

One little group of tartsOne little group of tarts

Comments