Inn on the Prom @ Fernlea Hotel & Niven's Health Club

11/17 South Promenade, St Annes on Sea, Lytham St Anne's, Lancashire, FY8 1LU, United Kingdom
Inn on the Prom Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Rated 18% higher but also costs 76% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Inn on the Prom @ Fernlea Hotel & Niven's Health Club

Dissapointed

by TripAdvisor Member CleoBrum

We would not recommend this hotel and will not be returning. Not very good value for money, room was nice but definitely nothing special, and was rather dusty. Food was very average and luke warm, there were 3 tables of people in the restaurant for dinner, including us, and both of the other tables complained about the food and had it knocked off their bill. We didn't complain about ours in case it looked like we were jumping on the bandwagon!

Stunning & Great Value

by TripAdvisor Member tim-bpool

We stayed for a long weekend at this hotel and loved every minute of it. I browsed several websites but found a better deal on the hotel's own website so booked there.

We booked on of the hotel's newly renovated upgrade rooms which was stunning throughout especially the huge plasma screen TV and there must of been nearly 100 channels on it! My wife was especially taken with the leisure club which even had a hair dressers!

Having booked Dinner, Bed & Breakfast for 3 nights we found the food to be fantastic, from the buffet breakfast to the dinner menu which was 5 courses and different each night,

We normally have stayed at the Dalmeny or the Grand but will be back at the Fernlea and would definitely recommend paying the upgrade for their new rooms (I think it was only £10 per person).

Will be back!

Best Hotel In St Annes

by TripAdvisor Member kgc26

Lovely refurnished rooms, impressive restaurant and great value food - well worth the upgrade to the new rooms they have refurbished.

Modern hotel in great location - loved the sea view from the balcony and would definitely recommend the pool & gym

Awful!

by TripAdvisor Member Sqweezy

Amazing how much you can believe a website!

Arrived in St Annes for a wedding at The Grand, having checked out the website for this hotel, it convinced me enough to book a room for the night.

The front of house looked like the pictures on the website, on entering the hotel, there was a distinct smell of stale cigarettes. The reception staff were only slightly friendly.
On reaching our room - after a mammoth trek that took us through the health suite and passed a few guys having their saturday workout on the fitness machines (I wouldn't have liked to be gawped at if I'd been working out!). Our room was like a throw back from a 1960's B&B, it was small, dank, smelly, dismal, half the lighting wasn't working, you couldn't open the window, the Corby trouser press was covered in dust, enough to clearly write your name in! Into the bathroom, which was ancient, only two bath towels and no hand towels, no toiletries - other than a bar of half used soap!, the towel rail was off the wall, leaving a sharp piece of plastic sticking out of the wall and the actual towel rail stuck in the corner of the bedroom.
A totally depressing room!
Did it resemble anything on the website?? No!

When we complained, we were greeted with a shrug of the shoulders - very helpful!
We were then told that there was no manager able to see us on the saturday night so could we return on sunday?
On returning on the sunday, we met with the manager who actually agreed that the room we'd had was awful! Hmm why was this room let then?

If you're thinking of going to the Fernlea, then I'd think again, its a very depressing and miserable hotel and don't believe all you see on their website.

FANTASTIC BOUTIQUE ROOMS

by TripAdvisor Member LancashireTmc

The hotel was very nice and the staff very friendly,nothing was to much trouble,
our bedroom was one of the brand new boutique style with a 42 inch plasma tv and lovely bathroom it was all very nice.
we eat in the newly opened caffee lingerie it had a great atmosphere and the food was very reasonable and very good.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone,
The nivens health club we didnt use but it all looked very nice.

Excellent One Night Stay

by TripAdvisor Member london896

As a new user to trip advisor I thought I would write a review of this hotel where I spent one night earlier this year. As a sales rep i'm no stranger to hotels and can honestly say I would recommend this hotel for corporate guests like myself. I booked through laterooms.com and got a good rate for a one night stay midweek (a Wednesday night) in an upgraded double room.

The welcome at reception was warm and efficient, hotel faciltiies were pointed out to me although must admit to not using all of them I can recommend the pool & gym which was quiet and I had free run of the equipment.

The room was spotless throughout with plasma screen tv on the wall with freeview (unusual for a hotel I thought!) comfy double bed with modern furnishings more like City Inn or Malmaison. I was impressed with the bathroom which had a full size bath with shower over (I hate pokey small baths in hotels or rooms with shower only!).

I had an evening apointment in nearby Lytham so didn't have dinner in the hotel but breakfast in the morning offered a good selection and food was very good quality and plentiful.

Although I dont frequent the area if I was again I would no doubt choose the Fernlea.

Online Booking

by TripAdvisor Member murphylad

Having looked through various sites on the web and coming across this hotel we found a great offer which was half board for a weekend in May.

Booking online we needed only to put our card details on the website and liked the idea of not having to pay till we got to the hotel - especially as there were some mixed reviews on t/a.

The hotel is easy to find on St Annes promenade and had plenty of parking at the front, we had requested a sea view room and were not disappointed as we had been allocated a room with a private balcony and sea view which we enjoyed as the weather was fantastic.

The room was reasonably large and well appointed although some distance from the reception this was not a problem as it was very quiet and we were able to get a good nights sleep both nights.

The food was good and with plenty of choice and they were more than happy to accommodate my wifes preference for something not on the menu.

Whilst the hotel had entertainment and large pool etc we chose to walk along the promenade in the evening and I found St Annes to be the ideal location for the nearby golf course one day and a trip into Blackpool the following day.

As the hotel seems to offer the deal we booked on alot of weekend in the summer I would not hesitate on booking again and would ask for the same room again.

I'm Publishing this because hotel management have failed to respond BEWARE

by TripAdvisor Member bonajona

Dear Sir

Having just returned from a 4 night stay in your hotel I feel I must register with you personally my considerable concerns and displeasure from my experience. I am a very seasoned traveller and hotel user both professionally and domestically and I have to say my recent experience at the Fernlea Hotel stop only just short of the most diabolical hotel i have experienced. Individually the following comments may not seem significantly important but collectively they amount to a ram shackle of an operation. My name is **************** and I stayed with you in room 159 from the 27/6 to 1/7,

Firstly I feel your web site is most misleading, whilst you outline your refurbishment process you have chosen to only display pictures of the refurbished rooms and areas and given you still have some way to go for completion this is quite misleading and as I quickly discovered quite shockingly disappointing. Further more unless you are personally sponsoring the fountain set up across the road from the hotel it's once again just artistic licence to portray the fountain as being part of the hotel set up.

On arrival, It was suggested that my room booking had been 'upgraded' to a family room 166 which was relayed as a much nicer room for which I wasn't going to be charged extra for. within 5 mins I had returned to reception and requested a more appropriate room as the standard allocated was quite appalling, it was dirty, shabby, the wardrobe door was hanging off, the beds were crumpled, the carpet filthy and the ceiling tiles in the bathroom off. The option was take room 159 or pay the upgrade supplement of 10.00 pppn. that would have been a further 80.00 on our 4 night stay. I gracefully accepted 159.

On the surface, room 159 whilst tired appeared 10 times more and improvement, but as always it's not until you start looking you notice the following. The film of dust across the Television, the carpet under the bed, and the glass topped side boards was appalling. there was very established urine stains running down the outer face of the toilet which I personally wiped away out of disgust, The bathroom all in all was shabby and tired as too was the furnishings - my bed linen was not changed during the 4 night stay at any point. it was a lottery as to whether I had 2/3 or 4 towels left in the room each day and you provide no soaps or toiletries worth mentioning let alone tissues,

The above points I have to say have no bearing what so ever on the refurbishment of the hotel and falls down to basic cleaning standards, which I regret you fail on.

The following points I am going to list without explanation but as points of note for you to consider improving your hotel facilities / standard and customer service you may choose to dismiss then as you wish.

1. For two days you had stools placed across the two pass doors to the left and right of the revolving doors to prevent them being opened due to the weather conditions. I am sure I don't have to point out that in fact these are your Fire exits at that location.

2. The restaurant Lingerie, should in fact be called 'Escargot' Having checked last orders were at 8:50 we arrives at 8:15 by 8:50 we received our starter, were hurried through our main and were offered coffee rather than sweet on the ground the kitchen was closed in fact the most miserable, and rude waiter had to loudly shout on his personal radio to the kitchen not to go home as two customers required sweets... how did that make us feel. totally appalling again.

3. When we arrived for breakfast NOBODY acknowledged us on any morning, infact they all ignored us. not a good morning or an escort to a free table. infact on the first morning we we found ourselves sat at a table laid for dinner as there were no other tables free laid for breakfast,

4. Music... well is it actually necessary to have two different music systems playing at the same time in the restaurant. it was awful and everyone was moaning. in addition the lounge singers were also either competing with the piped music or in fact one nigh sky tv. as well all in the same lounge space. total madness. !

5. Your hotel seemed quite full of older people, I was concerned to see cleaning staff trailing vacum leads across stair cases and the lift area which cold easily result in a fall and in addition the 'laminate' floor in the customer gents cloakroom had been washed and left wet with out any warning signs all very basic Healh and Saftey issues

6. Your entrance lobby... interesting you have a revolving door that does not easily allow guests to pass through with luggage 1 out of two get stuck half way, comical to the on looker, On Saturday you had a wedding reception and during the room switch they all piled out into the bar area / reception... you had guests in the hotel struggling to get drinks, guests tyring to arrive or pass through the area. and on top of that you have very in appropriately dresses people passing in between on their way to the fitness centre it. and just to top that at your busiest time in the evening you had two very incompetent young ladies running the lounge bar with no glasses, no ice and two drought beers off at one point there were 20 people queueing for drinks fortunately behind me ! and you had light bulbs not working and a picture light flashing.. can you begin to imagine the impression your hotel is giving residents and guests.?

Well as you will see from the above you have an awful lot of problems to deal with, you may chose to ignore this mail and thats your parogative. I guess my frustration is that I have just left ******* ********* ******* after nearly 20 years where service is our No 1. aim you have potential opportunity there to make your hotel something special JUST by encouraging, coaching, training your staff that you pay to do these jobs I was embarrassed for the hotel as well as incredibly dissapointed for myself. and whilst you will not appreiciate this e mail in it's entirety I would so love to have an opportunity to come up and really make that place work in your favour your welcome to take me up on that !

The one thing I am not going to ask for is compensation as that's not the purpose of my e mail, I would rather see you take me up on my offer of focus and direction than some other form of favour.

Regards

A very bad experience

by TripAdvisor Member cracker4

I can only reiterate the the comments on the previous but one reviewer. On arriving at the hotel having been held up on the M6 and having previously phoned up an asked if it was possible to have a room to change in as we were going to a wedding. The receptionist was most offhand and said we could change in the swimming pool changing room, luckily for us the boy in charge of the swimming pool took pity on us having been rebuked by the receptionist and let us change into our wedding outfits in the sunbed room which was not in use. on our return to reception we found that our room was now ready and trekked off to find it down some very odd smelling corridors even though some of the staff didn't know where it was.
We also noted that the front door was blocked by furniture and with so many elderly guests staying escape could be very difficult in a fire, there were other breaches of the fire regulations.
On our return to the hotel later that night we found we were unable to speak to each other in our room because of the noise of the disco. The night receptionist placed us in another room which just had the constant hum of machinery, all asking him if he got many complaints the reply was yes. The room itself was very rundown, the bathroom door did not shut, the bath was stained, and the decor was dark blue adding even more to the depressing effect.
At breakfast the following morning we asked for brown toast, unfortunately there was no brown bread in the hotel, the fried egg was solid in the marmalade and jam of the cheapest quality.
On checking out even the credit card terminal didn't work.
We couldn't wait to leave the hotel that this was even made difficult trying to get our cases through a small revolving door as the other doors were blocked by furniture preventing a rapid escape.
The only people who would enjoy a stay in this hotel are insomniacs and people who like expensive, drab and dreary surroundings.

Loved it so much booked our wedding reception there

by TripAdvisor Member nickycp

We arrived at the hotel on fri for 1 nights break. fell in love with it straight away, the staff were lovely and very welcoming and our hotel room was out of this world, they have just recently done the hotel up and it is gorgeous. we loved it so much we have now booked our reception there. The food was lovely too i would def recommend this hotel to anyone

Comments