Queens Promenade, Blackpool, Lancashire, FY2 9SJ, United Kingdom

Costs 21% less but rated 23% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Savoy Hotel

Pleasantly Suprised at The Savoy

by TripAdvisor Member PinkHaylz

REASON WE STAYED: We booked a 1 night stay at The Savoy one day before arrival as we were able to get last minute tickets to see Ricky Gervais. I booked it on Late Rooms for the rate of £30 plus breakfast - not bad for £15pp I thought! After coming on Trip Advisor to check the reviews, I was quite apprehensive, but seeing as we would only be there for a night it wouldn't matter so much.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: We pulled up to the Savoy and it looked quite nice from the outside - in need of a lick of paint, but nice! We parked up in front of the hotel (yes parking is limited, but there is a massive car park next door to the hotel and it's less than a minute's walk). Walking into reception my first impressions were that it was very good! The receptionist was friendly and I had the key to our room in no time! The reception was clean and it looked quite posh. We were on the 2nd floor and pleased to find we had a seaview (room 204).

THE BEDROOM: The room was spotless - I would say it had just been refurbed and we were the first people to stay there. It had been painted, wallpaper was new, bed was clean and had crisp white sheets. There was a tray with a selection of teas and coffee, a small table with information, telephone with notepad & pen,and a hairdryer. I was also suprised at how sizable the room was!

THE BATHROOM: The bathroom was also very clean - there was a shower curtain in the bath (although the shower itself wasn't the greatest) and also some smellies, showercaps and a scale. We had around 5 towels in the room and all very clean. It was a pretty big bathroom for a hotel room.

Both myself and my boyfriend had a shower and there was plenty of hot water for both of us. The radiators also worked fine.

I had only 2 niggles about the room -
1.After refurb, someone had forgotten to put the TV back in. Now if we had been here for longer, I would have asked for one - but we were simply there to sleep therefore we didn't bother - I'm sure if we would have asked we would have got one!
2.Again after refurb, the tape on the smoke detector hadn't been taken off - again, I'm sure someone had forgotten.

TRANSPORT: We were able to call a taxi freephone from the hotel, and it came within a matter of minutes. It cost approx £4.20 to go to Coral Island in the centre of town, and it was around 6pm. We just dropped our key off in the slot and went out.

LOCATION: We usually stay at Hornby Road when staying at Blackpool, which is right in the town centre. I think you could walk to the town centre in about 10-15 mins from the The Savoy, but we like to pop out at night and get back when we want. We decided that a taxi was a better option. Of course this is no problem with a car, but we were both having a drink.

BAR: We came back after the show and decided we would have a drink at the bar. The bar was very nice and had a wide range of drinks - it seemed very clean and the seats and tables were comfy and clean. It also had a smoking and non-smoking section, which was great for us since we don't smoke. I recall a WKD Blue was approx £2.80, a pint of Fosters was approx £2.50, and a pint of Kronenberg was around £2.85. The barmaid was very friendly and nice, and she told us she didn't close the bar until everyone had gone up - which is good if you like a drink! We left the bar around 11.30pm. I believe there is a pool table near the bar.

The room was quiet until about 12am when the room next door started shouting and screaming - however I must point out that of course this was no fault of the hotel!

BREAKFAST: Breakfast at the hotel is:
7:30 - 9:30 Mon - Fri
8 - 10 Sat & Sun

There was a range of cereals, ryvita, rolls, croissants & jams, juices, fruit, meats, cheeses as well as the cooked breakfast buffets which had sausages, fried eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, toast & hash browns. The breakfast was nice and hot, and although a bit too greasy for my liking (but then i am not a big fan of fry-ups) my boyfriend liked it and ate it all. The waitstaff were very nice and quick to serve us tea and coffee.

We had a stress free check-out. Check out is at 11am.

OVERVIEW: All in all I was pleasantly suprised about The Savoy Hotel - It seems to have been given a lot of bad reviews. True, the hotel is in refurb at the moment and when it is finished it will really be worthy of a 3* from my experience at the hotel. The refurb seems to be nearly finished.

There is no pool at the hotel, but guests can use the facilities at its sister hotel The Norbreck Castle for £2.50 (or a pass for the duration of your stay is £5). The facilities include: swimming pool, jacuzzi, gym, sauna, steam room & hair salon. We did not use these facilities.

The hotel also offers room service - I can't comment as we didn't use it, but you can get meals such as: Chicken Tikka Massala (£5.50), Steak & Onion Baguette (£4.95), Burger (£5.50), Jacket Potato (£2.95), soup (£2.95) >> Also tray service is £2.

We also spoke to some other guests at the hotel who had been there for 4 nights and had enjoyed their stay very much.

ROOM: 4/5
BATHROOM: 4/5
BAR: 4/5
LOCATION: 3/5
FACILITIES: 4/5

OVERALL STAY: 4/5

We are thinking of going to see Ricky Gervais again in March, and would not hesitate to stay at The Savoy.

Great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Bob-bobson

after reading the previous reviews we were a little concerned. we booked in with minimum of fuss. the room had recently been refurbished and was very clean. we had a sea view. the staff were on hand for any queries and were always efficient and helpful. full english breakfast or continental was self service and certainly set you up for the day. at 30 pound a night from lastminute.com we will certainly go back . thank you.

great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member gemma1982

First impression of this hotel was the cleanliness and pleasant staff. The rooms we booked were spacious and clean, no bath but great shower. Well equipt with tea coffee and hot chocolate etc. The rooms were central heated and beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was great, lots of choice from continental to full english. We were surprised to buy a drink from the bar and not be charged and arm and a leg, very reasonable prices. The hotel is under a re-furb but did not affect us in anyway. Will be booking this hotel again. This hotel is excellent value for money.

Not that bad

by TripAdvisor Member MrsSmiler

Me and my husband stayed here on a weekend for 2 nights, we booked directly with the hotel.

When we arrived we checked in and went up to our room, when we went in the bed had not been made, they were dirty towels over the floor, the cups had been used basically the room hadnt been cleaned, I called reception and told them I wasnt staying in the room they advised me to go back to reception and I could move rooms, when I got down there I tried to tell the girl at reception what my findings were but she didnt want to know and was very rude... and throughoput my stay she wasnt pleasant at all with me.

My second room was great no problems what so ever.

The room was well equipt with tea/coffee facilities hot chocolate and even some bicsuits.

On the friday night we ate in the restaurant, we paid £12.50 each for a 3 course and it was excellent the restaurant staff were great and couldnt do enough for you.. The bar staff were too friendly.

The breakfast was fantastic, buffet style and they have everything you could want.

There is a pub across the way called The Gynn and they do food we ate here the 2nd night, if you want a change from the hotel try here the staff are great.

I would go back to this hotel in the future, the only thing what ruined it for me was the disater room at the beginning and the reception girl..

Shame about the room

by TripAdvisor Member caprirob

We stayed at this hotel from 9th-11th March 07.
Arrived around 8.30pm on the 9th and was greeted with quite a warm welcome and the hotel reception area looked nice and well kept - if a little old fashioned. We were pleased to get a parking space right outside the hotel as well.
When we booked the hotel we had asked for a quiet room with a sea view if possible. The room we got was quiet enough, however was very small and clearly was not in the part of the hotel that had been refurbed yet. Unfortunately there was no view as such - the sash window had frosted glass in the lower section and the top was very dirty - overlooking a internal roof area with lots of pigeons.
Due to the time that we arrived the restaurant was closed and when we rang for room service we could only order cold sandwiches - despite there being a full room service menu in the room - ( Sandwiches were expensive but very good - don't buy a bottle of wine from the hotel though - we were charged £10 for a bottle that could be bought for less than £3 from any cheap off license )
The room was very hot - despite the radiator not being switched on, and the TV in the room had no aerial connection so we could not watch it properly.
The TV problem was very quickly fixed by the hotel the following morning no problem at all however we were told that no better rooms ( with view were available ).
Our main gripe with the room was that we had paid for a double - yet got what appeared to be a 3/4 size double bed. Whilst this was OK for the first night ( slept ok no doubt due to the long drive to get there ) it was very uncomfortable for the following two nights.
On the plus side we had no problems with Stag/hen parties staying at the hotel ( don't think they allow it ) or noise - and the breakfast really is excellent.
We would probably stay at the hotel again if we were assured that we would get a room with a view and a full size double bed.

Not fit for a Dog to sleep in !!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Mosthaunted

Worst ever!!!!!!!!!food good. Very cold in bar poor heating. Room was on the forth floor and had broken window with tape on it. Cardboard and a nail to try to stop it rattling. It was like being in a haunted house with the curtain blowing up and the wind howling through it. We complained and was told there was no more rooms so had to keep that one. The new rooms which have being done a reily nice but beware you could get the other shambles which are not fit to let your dog sleep in. Dining room roof was leaking on to our table. Booked with late rooms.

3* it's not

by TripAdvisor Member Tunner2

this hotel is definately not 3*, the reception area / bar area is fine. We were placed in room 118, we had a small double bed probably 3/4, wallpaper peeling from walls, very little heating & draw & door handles missing from furnature.
The bathroom was no better with again peeling paper, plaster coming away from walls by the cold radiator ( nice little pile in the morning ), broken light fitting * no hot water from the basin & the shower door did not close.
Breakfast was poor at best with 1/2 the hot plate products burnt including toast, service poor & we had to ask for fresh tea as they served us a very stewed undrinkable cup.
We would not stay here again & do not recomend this hotel. Stay away.

Sauna in your room ( The Savoy Hotel wont let you down )

by TripAdvisor Member grimeleeibb

Stayed at the Savoy last night. I wrote to the hotel requesting sea view rooms weeks ago, got no response, then emailed twice again asking for sea view rooms, again no response. I booked three double rooms of which none of them were sea views, dissapointing however not the end of the world. Temperature in rooms like a sauna, none of the windows will open as over the years they have been painted over. Breakfast the next morning, we requested a table for six, we were advised to sit in the lounge whilst they cleaned a table for us, 25 mins later we asked if the table was ready and they had given the table to someone that had just walked in. Manager seemed to busy making himself look important rather than helping staff to clear tables and avoiding them making mistakes they made with us.

Bad - Good - Dreadful!

by TripAdvisor Member Manc07

I have unfortuanately had the mis-fortune of staying at this hotel on three occasions over the last few years. The first occasion was way back in summer 2004, our room was grotty, run down and filthy as was the whole hotel! The staff couldn't care less, couldnt speak english, were scruffy and unruly. The food in the restaurant was in-edible, even if it hadn't been it would have been difficult to eat and ignore the torrent of water leaking through the roof from upstairs! Trying to complain was something else, we were passed from pillar to post until I saw a man in a suit stood in the reception area. Myself & my wife found out it was the Manager in person!! We tried to express to him our dissapointment at our stay and the way we had been treated but found him to be an absoulute pig, self centered, arrogant and completely oblivious to the deficencies of his hotel & staff, I vowed never to go back again!

Close family members told me they had stayed at the Savoy as part of a coach tour in the spring of 2005 and had a lovely time, they explained that the hotel was under new Mangement and they had never felt so looked after. I decided to give the hotel another try in Autumn of 2005 and booked one of the coach tours. To my amazment I had to agree with everything I had been told. The hotel WAS under new managment, not only was there a General Manager, but an Assistant Manager and a Tour Manager!, all of which were always on hand and happy to help anybody with anything, we saw this first hand when the only problem of our stay occured, the lift broke down for 2 hours and we actually saw the mangment team carrying luggage up the stairs for us old folk! This reflected in the staff who were no longer non-english speaking foreigners, but polite, smartly dressed and presented, always chatty, smiling and happy to help. The food had improved 100%, there was entertainment everynight, the rooms were clean and well appointed and even the decor had shown signs of improvement. I left the hotel with mixed feelings of my earlier stay but must say I was impressed at the improvments made.

I returned to the hotel with my wife a few weeks ago for a short break, only to find to my sincere dissapointment not only the new Managment team gone, but the afore mentioned pig back in command, the hotel, although undergoing minor refurbishment has decayed back to its original state, AND THEN SOME!, the staff are disinterested, nobody on hand to help or complain to, the food terrible and the rooms filthy, THIS TIME IT REALLY WILL BE NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!

Filth Flea's & Fancy Food - Not!

by TripAdvisor Member JazziP

Filthy! Flea's! Pubes in bathroom! Don't expect a lie in with workman banging and crashing outside the rooms radio blasting out! The best part was leaving!

Comments