Marine Road West, Morecambe, LA4 4BU, United Kingdom
The Midland
Booking.com Orbitz.com Agoda.com

More about Midland Hotel

Fabulous hotel run by amateurs!

by TripAdvisor Member rspjones

I love what Urban Splash has done with this historic building - bravo!! The place has a real wow factor - beautiful setting, fantastic views over the bay, stylish modern rooms and stunning art deco features. We visited on a sunny day which displayed the hotel and the resort in the best possible light.

I really hope the hotel succeeds but this will only happen if the quality of service rises to match the standard of the building! Sadly, at the moment it falls very far short. Examples include:
The check-in was slow and lacking in welcome - nobody smiled or offered any words of welcome..
The room was lovely and well equipped but it was not clean - blood spot on chair, dirty windows and smeary mirror and surfaces.

Despite the magical setting, the restaurant experience was dreadful. The food was variable in quality. The service was truly awful. The details would be boring but amateur sums it up. If the person who allegedly was in charge had said he was "sorry " once more I may well have swung for him!

Please, please Urban Splash get the staff to match your vision. If it carries on like this the hotel will be shut within the year or will have been bought for a knock-down price by a professional hotel chain who won't fulfil your fantastic vision - which would be very very sad.

Good luck - please keep on trying.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member NinkNonk

Right, lets get down to it....

Don't be swayed by the architecture! This is still a relatively expensive hotel, as such you would expect good service.

My partner and myself stayed here after booking the room as soon as the opening week was announced. Like many, we have been tracking the progress with interest, as such really looked forward to our visit.

On arrival on the Friday afternoon, we attempted to drive into the car park, only to be blocked by an unpleasant contractor telling us that the car park was full and that they were in the process of laying the surface. Great! No way I was leaving my car in a public car park overnight and PAY for it!. So hung about a bit and eventually managed to get into a sectioned off area that was in use.

So first impressions? Awful!

Next, into the lobby. Loads of non residents wandering around (Bit of a worry if you are there with kids?)

Up to the desk, greeted with 'what do you want?' Well, we would like to check in. This was at 14:45. Room not ready although check in is at 14:30. Eventually got access to the room at 17:30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and this was after asking the staff regularly.

So up to the room. Room pretty nice, good view over the bay. The rooms are pretty cool, although I think if you were there with kids there would be some trapped fingers! Toilet in the cupboard was cool initially, but on reflection, bit gimmiky and not very practical.

The guide book said 'take a visit to the rooftop viewing platform', so we did! On wandering around on the top floor, a member of staff stopped us and told us off for being there! Nice! She said that it was closed to the public. Ok, fine, but there were no signs up.

To the bar. A bit 'sterile'. No ingredients for a mojito!! £6.50 for a cocktail! (if they had the ingredients)

The meal was ok, staff didn't really have a clue. But through adversity, were nice enough. Many items dropped on the floor for instance.

Now, bed time. Comfy bed, nice sheets and quilt. Alas, pointless when you can clearly hear the noise of the 'disco' coming from the function room. We were on the other side to the function rooms so I can't imaging what it must have been like for the people directly above!

Next morning, breakfast was ok. Now I don't normally eat the more 'continental' style so went to the cooked. Good quality but you can only have 1 of each item. So for me, it didn't really fill my back tooth.

Checkout was fairly quick, although the reception 'manager' was very rude.

So back out into the temporary car park. Great, blocked in by the random parking! Also, car filthy from the dusty surface.

There are some good points. Obviously, the architecture is amazing. Got some cracking pics. Free WIFI is good. Slippers/robe canny. Mini bar with free beer and water! That's pretty awesome!

Look, I don't normally rant, but this was £140 a night! in Morecambe! Pretty expensive for such a location. So we had pretty high expectations.

I think Urban Splash have missed a trick here. if you look at the old photos of the place, the lobby looks great and full of life! But now, its bare and sterile. They have tried too hard to be different.

I hope this place does not damage the Urban Splash brand, as they do some cracking projects.

To conclude. Amazing building. Not ready yet for paying guests. Staff need to be trained. Management need to tone down the 'trendy' looks and actually think about the guests and not their mirror. Give this place a wide berth for now. Give it a year and it might be ready!

Also, why are the site cabins still there?

So cold

by TripAdvisor Member neil1948

Hotel seemed empty and so cold.seating was awful in reception. The warmest place was the loo. Asked for menu to have lunch just after 2pm and then our party of 5 chose. it took over 15 minutes to attract any attention and were then informed that food not available. When enquired why we were given menus were told that people liked to look at them for interest.

staff were so patronising.

A Complete Fiasco

by TripAdvisor Member ELL1234

as a lover of Art Deco & Moderne architecture I was looking forward to staying in the newly refurbished Midland Hotel in Morecambe, having seen it in its previously sorry state of repair in the 1980's.

The exterior of the building has been refurbished very well & the additional 3rd storey penthouse addition is unobtrusive. The interior retains some original features but has generally been done over in standard modern boutique hotel style.

The view from the resturant at the rear of the hotel, along with the rotunda bar & the sea view rooms are excellent, however that is unfortunately where the good news ends....

we had booked our stay almost a year before & had also booked a table in the restaurant for 8.00pm. When we checked in at 4.00pm we were told that there were no tables available in the restaurant until 9.00pm. Not a good start.

We went to our room & discovered that the balcony is effectively shared with all of the other rooms on that floor & is not screened off between each room making it essential to have the curtains drawn & the door locked if you want any privacy, so you can't enjoy the view. The TV didn't work, and the carpet was sodden. This, we discovered, was due to the shower leaking into the bedroom (a complaint which was heard from many other guests when checking out).

We had a drink in the rotunda bar. It took 30 minutes to make a margherita as the staff didn't have a clue which ingredients to use.

The evening meal was very poor as only basic bar food was on offer - steak & chips, etc. & the restaurant was freezing. Many guests, ourselves included, had to go back to our rooms to get coats in order to stay warm enough.

The following morning we went to breakfast at 09.45 only to be told that they stopped serving breakfast at 09.30. The information in the room & the receptionst both said 10.00 but no one seems to have informed the restaurant staff. After some debate a breakfast was eventually produced.

On the saturday morning the place was full of non resident pensioners looking round.

The checkout queue was full of people complaining about poor service & leaking bathrooms, and the reception staff were unable to take payments for rooms in cash because someome had lost the keys to the cash box.

Generally we found the staff incompetent and at £140 per night it was a complete waste of money. If you want to have a look at the hotel's architecture you would be better just going for a drink in the rotunda bar & then leaving.

Also there is absolutely nothing else to do in Morecambe so why go there in the first place. Better to stay in Lancaster or the Lakes if you are going on holiday in the area, or if you really really want to stay in Morecambe stay in a cheap guest house. The Midland is definitely not worth the money.

Did not live up to our expectations

by TripAdvisor Member kathyyeung9

We stayed at a suite which we located on the newly built third floor. First impressions were very good. Lovely big double doors that opened out completely and could take advantage of the view (which was amazing!).

We were relaxing on our "private" terrace, when a couple came walking across the terrace with no regard for the fact that we were stood outside our room. Since there were no noticable barriers that separated our terrace from the the other suites we presumed that they must be from another room on that floor and was just having a look round. Not very private!

However, when we got back from dinner (I will later explain the problems with that!) we went back to our room and found that we were interrupted thoughtout the night with non residents walking past our "private" terrace. We were not happy. We complained to reception, everytime this happened, which was about 5 times. The gent at reception was very nice, but ulimately he did not rectify the problem until much later on. The last straw came at 11:30pm where I had to leave our room, and go downstairs to find the manager. Unacceptable!

The problem was due to the 2 viewing areas that were located on the third floor, the walk way seems to guide people round the top of the hotel and straight onto our terrace. There is nothing to stop them going past. This could have easily been solved by placing a table/chair/plant/anything to make people stop. Having a look outside when we checked out we noticed that they had place 2 bamboo plants on the same side to stop non residents from going onto one side of the terrace, but nothing to stop the flow of people from the other view deck! it would have made more sense to place the bamboo at each end of the terraces. Very frustrating, very poor service. We did not feel safe, secure or comfortable with our stay. this is surely No1 priorty for any hotel.

Dinner was average, we had wrong starters brought out to us, then the wrong mains. But this could be forgiven due the to new staff and kitchen.

My main complaint was the privacy issue to be honest, having paid a premium for a suite, we expected to able to at least enjoy the view without the interruptions of others walking past our room and looking in.

I would avoid this hotel for least a year until they have ironed out all the niggling problems and also the major one about the public walkway on the third floor for suite guests!

Not a place to recommend

by TripAdvisor Member BIx

We should have read the other reviews before we booked at the Midland, but we were so keen to see it ..... We'll know better next time. (Not that there's going to be a next time). The Midland certainly is stylish and ingeniously designed, in a wonderful position with amazing views - but that's pretty much where the good things end. A raft of small things went wrong - the bedside light exploded as soon as we turned it on and despite six requests was never replaced, the screws fell out of the TV cabinet door so that it wouldn't shut, the TV didn't work at all throughout the hotel in the two days we were there, the loo broke down on our last evening and water ran all night. After the first night, I woke up with five itching bites on my thigh. I was willing to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt until the second morning, when they'd increased to ten. The manager told me that it would take months of bad housekeeping for my problem to have been caused by the hotel's bed. The staff were pleasant and willing but hopelessly untrained, mostly very young and largely unsupervised. In the restaurant, some had so little English that ordering had to be done by pointing at the menu. The food was poor for the price - stodgy waffle accompanied by honey rather than the advertised maple syrup for breakfast, tough steak for lunch and a bartender who had never heard of a Kir. (He finally found Kir Royale, which wasn't what I wanted, on the menu and asked a colleague how to make it - badly). The Midland is a text book of bad management and a complete lack of customer focus. It's a great shame, because Morecambe is trying really hard to regenerate itself and this could have been a great help.

not quite there yet.

by TripAdvisor Member iceor

As previous residents of Morecambe I chose this hotel for a special occassion.
It was a joy to see an eyesore turned into something elegant.
On arrival at the hotel we did have to wait for our room so a stroll down the promenade was the order of the day. The view across the bay as I remembered it, stunning.
Back to the hotel,receptionist having problems with an irate customer. This situation may have been handled better with a more experienced supervisor.
Up to the room,slightly unusual but very pleasant and clean. Nice touches included mini fridge with welcome drinks,safe in drawer and 2 big chairs. The sea view from the balcony very nice.
On to the restaurant. Food pretty good. Service needs to be stronger. We had no long waits between courses but I had to ask for the wine list and some staff seemed at a loose end. Again maybe an experienced supervisor might help.
After a few pleasant drinks we walked up the stunning red carpeted stairway to our room.
Most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on.
Breakfast ordered a full english and was told we could help ourselves to the table groaning with large bowls of fruit,cereals and 5 types of fruit juice. All of this was excellent quality and value.
Overall there are some annoying problems still to be resolved.
Most can be solved by more staff supervision and better training.
I have every confidence that Urban Splash will get it right and I hope to revisit next year

First Class

by TripAdvisor Member Greenpaula

We booked a surprise birthday party for our daughter at the Hotel months before it opened. Then we started to hear a lot of complaints and Trip Advisor reviews did not seem promising.
All we can say is that any prior misgivings we had were wiped out on the night - we were delighted with all aspects of our experience.
The function rooms and bedroom were fantastic. The buffet for the party was superb, with a great selection of hot and cold dishes, plus yummy cakes.
Our function room had a mural on the wall - it looks great in the photographs, and is definitely NOT 60s art deco - it's the original!!!
The cost of drinks was on a par with any other hotel. Our Event organiser and staff were friendly and helpful.
There may be a few teething probs, the place was closed for years, but people need to give it and the staff a chance.

Absolute Disaster...

by TripAdvisor Member kellyrocket75

I'm not particularly demanding and really wanted to like The Midland but the experience was pretty shoddy...

Booked the executive suite as a birthday surprise for my boyfriend. Unfortunately, the hotel had no record of my booking despite me producing my booking reference and confirmation e-mail.

The receptionist left us standing in the reception area for 3/4 of a hour whilst she and the 'reception manager' attempted not to resolve the situation but to find out what went wrong with their internet site.

We weren't offered any explanation or even a seat (!) until I went to the managers office to ask what was going on.

We were left standing there with all our luggage, my boyfriend looking more and more embarrassed (this was all part of his birthday 'surprise')

We were eventually offered a standard double with an inland view free of charge which we declined. We were then offered a free stay in the suite at a later date. By that time an hour has passed and the birthday surprise was already ruined so we decided to leave.

As I'd booked a spa treatment for us both I went to cancel it and was asked by the receptionist to go to the spa to cancel it - this is when I snapped!

The spa receptionist (Nicky) came to meet me in reception and made it clear that the spa and the hotel were seperate businesses and took over dealing with us - she showed us a double room, calmed us down and the spa owner even offered to help us pay for the room!

On a more positive note, the room was fabulous, free beer and water in the fridge, overall the decor is lovely but could be a bit more in keeping with the period.

The food was amazing but the service once again wasn't up to scratch.

Urban Splash need to sort their staff out before they lose any more business.

One shining star was the Spa, the treatment was first class with professional staff and great facilities.

Absolutely dreadful - don't go!

by TripAdvisor Member christimore

Had the most dreadful experience - staff not interested, everything was too much trouble, manager not available. tried to have lunch but was told the restaurant was fully booked - must have been the Invisible Man convention. Do not, repeat not , visit this hotel. What a sad decline of a one great hotel!

Beer GardenBeer Garden