Holiday Inn Express Leicester Walkers Stadium

Jewry WallJewry Wall

Travel Tips for Leicester

Graduation day

by Carmela71

This was something new as we do not normally have graduation day in Spain (at least in mine), actually to get the formal diplom of your degree it takes nearly 5 years lol

For my graduation on the Bsc Hons in Uk, my family came, well not for the graduation, but to spent two weeks visitng England before I left after two years, was goo that they came as it was hard to leave something you loved so much

The Winter of my Discontent

by antistar

I came to Leicester and lived there for nearly two years after returning from Australia. A friend of mine got me a job as a purchaser at the local health authority, which meant I spent the day arguing with people over the price of anything from needles to entire hospital extensions. The job was pretty boring, and after my friend disappeared and left me alone to share the city and my terraced house with an uncommunicative half Irish-half Indonesian shoe salesman, I discovered that the city became the winter of my discontent.

I haven't got much in the way of pictures for Leicester, as it hasn't really got a lot in the way of tourist sights. One of the few landmarks in the city is the clock tower pictured. This shows some of my early photography, where I still haven't figured out that trees get in the way (actually I still haven't perfected the art of seeing trees blocking my view). Leicester, unlike many cities in Britain, survived much of the war untouched by bombings, but it never really had a lot to begin with, other than a textiles industries. It's only real claim to fame now is being the most multicultural city in Britain, with over a third of the population being of ethnic origin. This is actually one its biggest draws, as the curry houses in the city are plentiful and mostly excellent. The Indian and West Indian communities add a touch of colour to the city that would otherwise be lacking in its rows and rows of back to back brown terraced houses.

Leicester isn't that bad a place to live in, in fact it is quite average. The crime rate fairly average for a city of its size, the cost of living is very average, and the nightlife is average too. There are some good places to eat and drink, I remember some of the more eclectic places like Helsinki and the Tube Bar. The city has two universities which gives it a very youthful air, and there are plenty of trendy bars to get drunk in. The locals aren't too unfriendly, nor overly friendly, with a propensity to embarrass the unwary by calling you "duck". By the time I had left I'd actually started to gather around me another good group of friends to replace the ones that left, but I'd already decided the city was just not for me.

Comments