The Belmont Hotel Leicester

De Montfort Street, (formerly Best Western Belmont House), Leicester, Leicestershire, LE1 7GR, UK

The Belmont Hotel
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

• irfan.in.tx's Profile Photo

Good location for the University

The Belmont is an older property very convenient to the train station and the University of Leicester. The staff is very friendly and efficient. While the property is old, they have been refurbishing it in stages. The deluxe room is spacious, with a flat screen TV and safe. The breakfast in Cherry's restaurant is quite good, with good service.
    The Belmont is less than a 10 minute walk from the train station, and is on New Walk, a pedestrian street that is very nice for taking walks. There are a number of restaurants within a short walk (across from the station) and a few even closer.

Unique Quality: Good service.

Directions: Near train station and the University of Leicester.

More about The Belmont Hotel Leicester

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member AussieOrganiser

We had cause to stay here recently for one night. We found our room very large compared to anything else we'd had in the UK. The UK was going through a heatwave and of course the hotel was hot all over so we got a fan from reception which cooled things down a little. The linen was lovely and the towels soft and thick. Although there wasn't a top sheet, rather strange, maybe they forgot to put one on.

The bathroom was HUGE and glistened with cleanliness. There were tea and coffee making facilities as well as a TV with remote.

We slept well given the heat and the bed wasn't a bow in the middle job either, it was nice and new and clean.

The bar area was pleasant and we sat near a bay window overlooking a lovely leafy street. There was a wedding on that weekend and the dining room was set up just beautifully for such an event.

All in all a fine old place to stay.

A Bad Bed and Breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member JoelLevack

I paid £90 for a double with breakfast, all I can say is that the room was small, dingy , badly and cheaply decorated. This hotel was in no way worth £90 a night, I have stayed in much better hotels for half the price. I would not recomend staying in this hotel to any one and I for one will not be back!

Poor- avoid if possible

by TripAdvisor Member VB1306

The Belmont is undergoing refurbishment and has rooms of varying quality which are all booked indiscriminately at the same rate. I have not been into the "new" rooms but the older rooms do not represemt value for money and as a matter of fact are of very poor standard even for a b&b of half the price. These rooms are not clean, they are stuffy and musty and generally entirely unpleasant.

Staff were unhelpful in addressing this both at check-in and when feedback was given at check out and our company has now withdrawn all future bookings at the hotel.

Location is convenient to the train station and the road seems quiet, breakfast was satisfactory.

Unexpectedly pleasant stay!

by TripAdvisor Member bevcorn

Stayed at this hotel for just one night to visit my son who is at university here. Check in was fastest I have ever experienced and staff were very friendly. Room was small but very clean and comfortable, with a very comfy bed. Bathroom was spotless and stocked with nice towels and complementary toiletries.

Location good, approximately eight minute walk to city centre and if you prefer a more scenic route take the ten minute walk down the leafy lane directly opposite. There is also a museum located along this lane.

Parking was easily available. If you require a comfortable hotel that is close to all amenities (2 mins from station), them I would definitely recommend this one..

Vegetarians beware!

by TripAdvisor Member Crinklecrags

I didn't STAY at the hotel, but thought I'd better warn vegetarians not to go near this place. I've just been there for a christmas meal and was given three empty vol-au-vont cases with a splash of tomato sauce and a few lumps of pepper. This is the worst veggie `meal' I have come across in 23 years (and believe me, it's sometimes very bad indeed!).

Pleasant Surprise!

by TripAdvisor Member Skyota

We stayed at the Belmont for 2 nights on the 8th & 9th December, o6...due to attending a cat show locally. The Hotel allowed us to have our cats in the room so that was great.

Check in was a breeze, so was the parking, excellent helpful staff on arrival.

We had booked 2 rooms, 1 twin & 1 double. Both were very clean & comfortable, especially the beds! They had complimentary tea, coffee & biscuits which was a nice touch.

The rooms were cleaned both days while we were out & beds remade etc..... they even hoovered up stray cat litter which i missed!

Dinner in Cherry's restaurant was superb, cannot fault the food or the service at all.

Breakfast was included in our rate & that was also a treat. They had cereals (several kinds), fruit, fruit juices, cooked breakfast made to order, fresh toast, tea, coffee etc... nothing was too much trouble.

We won't hesitate to return to this Hotel again, very enjoyable stay.

Really friendly

by TripAdvisor Member CloudCottage

Stayed here for a friends party and found the whole experience a delight. Reception were welcoming and knew what was going on, the room spotlessly clean and the party organisation quite superb. Although it is a large hotel it was like attending a house party. This must be the nicest part of Leicester in which to stay and the hotel atmosphere made a most refreshing change from the larger ones on the outskirts of town where one is treated like a number. Will definately use when I am next in Leicester on business.

Disappointing dinner

by TripAdvisor Member son_of_glyndwr

I recently stayed at the Belmont for 4 nights as part of a business group of 30 delegates so the hotel was full. Some rooms have been recently refurbished and offer a good standard of accomodation, those that have not do not. When booking ask for a refurbished room to avoid disappointment. I had an older room overlooking the rear car park which was OK but then I wasn't paying the bill.

The real disappointment was the restaurant. Most of the guests came down for dinner together at 7pm creating huge waiting times for meals. The staff seemed completely unprepared and lacked any empathy with the plight of the diners. Young multi-national staff require adaquate training and communication skills before being exposed to an experienced and frustrated clientele!

In contrast, breakfast was much more controlled with the usual mix of buffet style fruit and cereal and cooked items ordered at the table.

The hotel is particularly convenient for rail passengers as the station is virtually opposite. Everyone else must try to penetrate the Leicester City one way system! The hotel car park is also very small with narrow aisles so get there early for the better places.

A bit tired...but clean

by TripAdvisor Member ukuva

Just back from a two night stay at the Belmont. My trip was to attend a seminar so I didn't pay for it but I do know that the bed, breakfast and dinner price for a double room is about £100 a night. First the good points;
Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Room very clean. Iron and ironing board in room. Good location. Nice bar. Good room service.

Now the not so good points;
My room was double and it was quite cramped, and although it was very clean, it was quite tired decor wise. It was absolutley red hot and despite the window being fully open for three days it still never cooled off, mind you I was over the kitchen! The television was tiny and was like watching a portable tele in the cinema. Didn't eat in the restaurant on an evening so I can't comment on the food. The cooked breakfast was quite poor.
Car park is okay but not brilliant.

If you eat out and fancy a curry don't go to the one recommended by the hotel, go to this one instead - go out of the hotel, turn right down to the main road. More or less opposite is a place called "The Curry House", this place is spot on. Nice staff and top notch food. Not cheap though, £3.20 for a pint of Cobra, starters are about £3.95, mains are about £6.95, now this is the bit that shocked me, you don't get any chapattis in with the main course and they are £1.10 each!!!!!!! Naan breads are £2.20 each. This obviously bumps the price up a bit.

Like I said I didn't pay for my trip to the Belmont, if I had I probably wouldn't stay there again, if I got sent again I wouldn't complain if, that makes sense!

Comments