Boston Lodge

Browns Drove, Swineshead Bridge, Boston, PE20 3PX, United Kingdom
Boston Lodge
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Boston

random picture from my birthday night outrandom picture from my birthday night out

crowd at party in the parkcrowd at party in the park

The canalThe canal

Staple diet around hereStaple diet around here

Travel Tips for Boston

The party in the park

by sourbugger

The 'party in the park' has been going for a few years now - but I'm actually intending to go for the firstime this year. It's held in central park, Boston (see another tip).

As a free festival you can't expect too much, but there does seem a good mix of music styles from mostly local outfits. It ranges from classical to jazz, from folk to heavy metal.
There also seem to be several tribute bands including Status Quote - perhaps work is running short in Skegness.

It's on 12/13th of July all day, with fireworks on the Sunday evening.

Check out the programme on the BBC Lincolnshire site.

STOP PRESS : It's on again - 9th 10th and 11th of July Went on Saturday and Sunday evenings.

Good atmosphere, with good age range. Brining your own booze seemed the best option as the beer tent was overwhelmed.

Lots of has about - the police seemed to be pursueing a softly-softly approach.

The fireworks on the sunday night were impressively on the large side, but only lasted a few minutes - perhaps a case of wham bang thank-you maam.

A very tough Marathon

by sourbugger

The Seabank Marathon does exactly what it says on the tin - The Marathon course runs alond the seabank over fairly rough ground and stiles etc. At least the terrain is flat. You won't get a good time - reckon on an extra hour. If you like bracing sea breezes look no further!

The direction is usually reversed each year between the two town of Boston and Skegness.

The race is uually run about the first or second Sunday in June (2003 - 8th June) Usual Marathon stuff.

Watch Airplanes Take Off Over Your Head!

by sourbugger

YES, I've actually managed to write a tip title the same example that VT gives.

The first Squadron of Eurofighter planes (now called Typhoons) are to be based at RAF Coningsby about 8 miles north of Boston.

The Eurofighter was originally commissioned as a dog-fighter to counter the latest Russian MIG. Billions of pounds later, and years behind schedule it has finally arrived.

On the road just past New York the road has lights on it to stop the traffic as the planes land. This provides an ideal point to see where all those taxpayer pounds have been lavishly wasted

The Space, The Haven

by sourbugger

Boston town council has recently opened (July 2005) it's latest addition to it's very grand sounding 'cultural quarter'.

The Haven is a smallish gallery, that will host travelling exhibitions and local artists work.

It is mercifully free of a shop and cafe !

Check out the website to see if there is anything of interest to you.

The gallery was 'launched' with the Titanic exhibition - let's hope that it doesn't end up as a disaster !

Pilgrims and canals

by Sjalen

Want to know the place that gave its name to the much bigger place in Massachusetts? This is it.

How does a Swedish tourist end up in little Boston? Well, during my first visit to England, a two week stay with a penfriend in a village outside Boston was included. I shall never forget this. Anglophile as I was, I had more or less forced mum to go to England with me and mum and I (I was 16 at the time) had started off in London as I said no way could I miss this cool capital on my first ever England trip (that I went back to live in London later is another story). After that first week, it was time for Boston - mum and I split up in Grantham where I changed for the Boston train, somewhat confused by the poor signposting and by being left all on my own somewhere in England :-))) I got on the train and off at Boston and my first memory of the town was how I had to wait, and wait, and wait. Eventually, I made a phone call from the station and it turned out my friend's dad had problems with his car. They turned up after a while and off to the Lincolnshire countryside it went.

A very special two weeks when I felt embarassed at not having brought more gifts as the family was quite poor and I think it was a real eye opener for a Swedish girl to see what it could be like in GREAT Britain. We lived on pork pie and beans most days...But I gained valuable insights into English life as I was taken to the village bingo, neighbouring village pub ('cos we'll get served there") and even Boston's Pilgrim Hospital to visit granddad :-) Maybe this is why I've ever since felt extremely familiar with things when I've come to live in England for various periods of my life. My English also improved as my friend's dad was a toothless scouser - imagine the struggle to understand! :-))) "Gis' a cuppa tea" was his standard phrase to his family...

Boston itself? Well, we weren't there much, unless off to do the shopping at Sainsburys, but as you can see from this picture, it is very flat. Until my friends took me to Alton Towers in Staffordshire I was beginning to wonder where the rolling hills full of sheep that I had seen on "Emmerdale" were...Lincolnshire is one of the main agricultural regions in England and it shows. Everywhere are canals and fields full of sprouts and other vegetables and it's not for nothing that this part of England is called "Little Holland".

I was there quite some time ago now, so If you need more information, why not look at http://www.bostonuk.com/

Comments