Beehive Inn

Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Grantham

M. Thatcher's childhood homeM. Thatcher's childhood home

Having a drink with my familyHaving a drink with my family

Travel Tips for Grantham

Harlaxton Haunting

by btex

The re-make of the 1960s movie The Haunting was made at nearby Harlaxton Manor...it's only a few miles away from Grantham. The original movie was much better than the re-make. Scenes from the 1995 movie, Pride and Prejudice, were shot at Belton Manor in Grantham - it's becoming a mini-Hollywood there...not really.
Also, I remember seeing a movie called Bad News Tour - it starred some of the guys from The Young Ones and The Comic Strip Presents. The movie was about a bad heavy metal band and their poor excuse of a tour (similar to Spinal Tap)...anyway...if I remember correctly, Grantham was one of the stops on their tour.

Nottingham

by btex

Nottingham is about 20-30 miles west of Grantham. I took a day trip there from Grantham. There you'll find Notthingham Castle, Robin Hood's Major Oak, and more. The picture shows a statue of Robin Hood found near Nottingham Castle.
In Nottingham, you'll also find Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem. It's a very old inn found near the castle. Like it says on its walls, it's the oldest pub in England (est. 1189.) I'll take their word for it...I guess. http://www.yeoldetriptojerusalem.com/

TRIBUTE TO MY CAT SMUDGE

by mel_bee

These are some of my favourite pictures of my cat Smudge. We got her from a cat rescue shelter and she became a special part of my life as a teenager. At first she was really timid even though she was a playful kitten but over the years she became more and more affectionate. Her favourite place was in the sunshine at the bottom of the garden and I still miss her when I look out the window on sunny days. Even though I lived abroad for so many years she was still happy to see me on visits home and I used to enjoy giving her a cuddle, I love the sound of a purring sleeping cat.

On her last day I woke up really early in the morning and tiptoed downstairs to where she was on the sofa. She was very ill and I just lay on the sofa and she curled up on my lap and we fell asleep. I was heartbroken when she died but I still have some happy memories and these lovely photos.

Comments