Eastgate, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2 1PN, United Kingdom

The Lincoln Hotel
Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

A hotel I really appreciate!

One of the best hotels experiences I got! In a city where many hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs are located in historic buildings, it was this place which had the honour to welcome me as a guest! It was a friday evening in spring when - thanks to the wonderful railway connections out of this city - I found myself stranded overnight. All recommendations in my guidebook were booked out as well as the recommendations I got from these places as well. At the White Hart Hotel, the lady at the reception was not really friendly, but she recommended me a place around the corner. It was "The Lincoln". Prepared to pay almost any price, I was surprised that the show-up price for a single room incl. breakfast was 90 GBP.

Unique Quality: The room was good in space, spotlessly clean and offered me all comforts I needed. It had a abthroom with shower, TV and typical amenities of a 4 star hotel. The highlight was the view: With the full splendour of illuminated Lincoln Cathedral next to me, it was probably the most beautiful hotel room view I ever got in my long travel career. Downstairs, there was a big party going on. The hotel staff, especially the younger girls and guys, were apologetic about the noise and about the fact that not all bars were open for "regular" guests. However, that did not disturb me at all. All drinks were available in the lobby with waiter service and the noise was not to hear at all in the hotel rooms. People leaving early can order a cold breakfast via  a card which should be hung out during the night. In that case, you will get your breakfast brought to your room at the time you wish.
    The Lincoln is the best hotel of this class I ever got in the UK, although it was not even the most expensive. I really can't praise it high enough!

Directions: On the northern side of the Cathedral, right in the middle of the old town

• Cheersmates's Profile Photo

Lincoln Hotel

Horrible stay! Rooms not cleaned properly, staff clueless about their menu, about customer services, one night time waiter made our family and another family wait in the lounge for about an hour to have dinner while the restaurant had only 1 table.

The only employee that was very nice and knowledgeable about things was Tony, but he only worked in the restaurant during breakfast. Since we had just moved to the area, he was very helpful in giving us tips and telling us what we could do in the town.

Their website looks great, but the hotel isn't all that.

Unique Quality: The only nice thing about it is the roman wall right in front of the hotel. It's amazing that it's still there. Ah, and it's close to Bailgate (the historical site).

Directions: Very close to Bailgate, where the castle and cathedral are located. There are loads of pubs, shops and little restaurants as well.

More about Lincoln Hotel

Lincoln Hotel Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member singlek

Quite possibly the most shambolic hotel I have ever stayed in.

Service was awful, snooty staff on reception, inept staff on the bar/restaraunt.

Hotel room services did not work - wi-fi no signal, remote controls were tempramental.

Room was clean inside but thoroughfares were dark and dank.

Paying over £90 for a room I do not expect to be called back to reception to be told I have not settled my bill for 65p for the paper

I have stayed in many Lincoln hotels and this is definately the worst - the Bailhouse and Tower are far superior (and cheaper)

Beware the disclaimer form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member comperking

My wife and I stayed at the Lincoln Hotel in December (26th-27th) of 2007 and choose a double room with terrace and Cathedral views.

The hotel itself is perfectly situated for sightseeing in the old city
although we were there on a family visit. Parking is more than adequate with a large car park in the front and another at the rear.

As a three star hotel it’s quite hard to pinpoint this hotel into its correct category as it has a confused style! Our room on the third floor was light and airy and clean and fresh. Style-wise it was very confused as it looked like it was styled on a bad day at Ikea with a twist of Disney Land!

The room had a flat screen TV but was plonked on top of a low sideboard and difficult to see in bed without sitting bolt upright! The old TV bracket was still screwed into the wall. My wife and I never did work out what the sloping mirror unit was with little cubby holes set in the middle of the room!

Please, please, please, when will British hotels install Queen or King-size beds! Whilst the bed was comfy I am six feet tall and needed another bed for my feet! The bathroom whilst clean was bordering on needing re-grouting and various bulbs were missing and one hanging out of its socket! Opportunity here for improvement please!

We particularly choose the Cathedral view but it’s not for the fainthearted as the bells chime on the quarter and the hour. (7am-11pm). Make sure your fillings are all securely fixed in! I rather enjoyed the bells as it was a distraction from having to crick my neck
to watch TV!

We paid £129 per night which included breakfast. I warn you now do not
drink the coffee! Disgusting! The breakfast was adequate but was accompanied by dreadful music and I would steer clear of the cooked black pudding which looked decidedly burnt! With three waiters on duty
at the time we were there they need to get their act together! Butter missing, tea missing, hot water missing and no chance of HP sauce or ketchup I suppose! Very hot and stuffy in the breakfast room also. Vast opportunity for improvement here!

Overall it’s very hard to seriously knock this hotel as it will always
win hands down for position. It would certainly benefit from some updating and more attention paid to its customers. Further attention to detail would make a vast improvement to this centrally situated hotel.

For those of you easily offended be aware of a peculiarity this hotel has on arrival as it is the first time I have ever come across this! After doing the normal credit card check in we were presented with a sheet of paper we were asked to sign!

This was a disclaimer form that in the event of our time staying at the hotel we should foul any of the bedding, sheets, towels or in fact
if we should foul anything we would be held responsible for the cost of replacing or the cleaning! Now, call me old fashioned but I’ve never stayed in a hotel that makes you sign one of these before!

Be aware that they do cater for large groups at the hotel and you may be the brunt of a wedding reception/disco under you room!

Get a cathedral view room!

by TripAdvisor Member ConorMc

We spent our last night in the wonderful city of Lincoln in this conveniently located hotel at the east side of the cathedral.

At first glance the hotel looks worn and grubby from the outside, but the interior has just been refurbished and is quite welcoming when you first enter the lobby.

We arrived well before our check-in time with our suitcases and the lady at reception was very helpful and took our suitcases until we were able to check in at 2pm. We went for some english breakfast (still doesn't beat the irish version) and wandered the winding streets for a while, then arrived back to check in.

The rooms are very comfortable, and complimented with a beautiful chandelier on the ceiling. The room was complete with plenty of fresh linen and towels, tea/coffee, and a flat screen tv. The entertainment prices (movies,internet) were a bit over the top mind you. We had a cathedral view room, and got some stunning photo's of the cathedral that evening when it was completely lit up, great sight.

In the morning we arrived for our breakfast in the restaurant. The staff were very helpful and never left the guests waiting to be seated. The food was very nice, and the scrambled egg kept running out that must be a good sign. There was a great choice of cereals,fruits and the english breakfast, of which the cook never let the food run out.

Just as we were finishing breakfast, a lady approached our table and informed us that she had just heard the trains were not running (we had previously booked a taxi to the train station), this would mean we would miss the flight back to Dublin. They then said they would make a few phone calls and fine out what was going on. Meanwhile some of the waiters had overheard and came over to talk to us, it was a really nice gesture at the time.
In the end the reception got news that the trains were running and we could be on our merry way.

Overall I found my stay here to be completely enjoyable. The staff were excellent and made us feel very welcome, the hotel had a very nice vibe to it and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sleepless Night

by TripAdvisor Member Taylortowers

On arrival hotel looked quite pleasant, reasonable size car park, new looking outdoor seating area with false grass, tables & umbrellas. Receptionist pleasant, room average with plain deco definately geared towards the business personnel with modern desk & small flat screen tv with a keyboard for internet access ( payable). For the tourist you feel there is no atmosphere, bar and lounge soleless, (Take note if you bring your own wine to take to your room its £6 corkage to get it open, which is mean). Our room faced the Cathedral, supposedly one of their best rooms. My gripes were - I could not find anywhere to hang my clothes, the cold water is scaldingly hot and is impossible to drink from and the noise from the traffic in the morning (room is double glazed but could do with triple). The noise starts around 6am, so together with the Cathedral bells every 15 mins don't expect to get much sleep, oh yes and the workmen drilling at 8am didn't help matters.

Unresonable policy spoiled visit

by TripAdvisor Member john140543

We have stayed here a few times, and each time it is clear that continuous refurbishment is taking place, if at a slow rate. Excellent, helpful and polite staff, particularly, I believe, Tony in the restaurant (described as concierge on badge) Only marred by, for me, an entirely new and unsatisfactory demand - cash payment on arrival produced a demand for an extra night`s refundable payment as a deposit -- what for?? If one pays in advance, saving the hotel commission on a credit card, how on earth can this be viewed as welcoming to guests? How would this look, in particular, to continental visitors unused to the British obsession with plastic? I was so annoyed that we did not have evening meals at the hotel, and if this is repeated by others, then surely financial loss will ensue.

Friendly, warming atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member Leonard_Gooding

From the moment I set foot in the hotel I was made to feel welcome.

My check in was pleasant and inviting, the decor was chic and modern. The reception staff were only too willing to help and explained all of the many city centre attractions available to me.

I dined in the restaurant in the evening and the food was a very high standard. I was advised that the hotel has a new award winning chef, and the food was a testament to this.

The room was comfortable and the I would recommend you ask for a room with a Cathderal view as this was stunning.

All in all, a fantastic hotel with the staff a credit to the building.

Brilliant Food

by TripAdvisor Member weekenderEssexUK

Brilliant food and warm welcome.

Our room overlooked the cathedral which was a joy. Comfortable room and glamorous and effective shower. Contemporary furnishings suited us well.

Most staff were superb but a few lacked some initiative.

Billing does seem odd and the system is not visitor friendly but probably the accountants like it. Room for improvement there.

Food in restaurant superb, the best we have had for a long time even compared to other bigger cities. The chef took great care in organising the tasting menu to suit my diet.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member rachelg62

We got a free upgrade to a large refurbished room with very comfortable bed, cathedral view and tiny balcony. View was great, especially when the catbedral was floodlit at night, though I wouldn’t have paid extra for the balcony. Flat-screen television with lots of channels.

Two drawbacks: the room was very hot even with the window open, especially with duvet rather than sheets and blankets; wifi didn’t work, though they said it would work in the hotel lobby.

Spacious car park; nice breakfast, friendly staff. Newspapers and taxis arrived when ordered (surprising how often this goes wrong in many hotels).

Lincoln is stunning, especially the medieval quarter. There’s a good dolls’ house shop and a shop that sells fudge and chocolates (both on “Steep Hill”). Lots of other interesting shops in the Bailgate area, it’s obviously a very prosperous town – I’ve never seen so many jewellers’ shops and tea rooms in such a small area.

Would recommend “Fourteen” and “Gino’s” restaurants.

Nice stay.

by TripAdvisor Member Hilaire

Easy parking, excellent location for the old town, fabulous views of the cathedral-best in Europe. Room well furnished with great bathroom and easy climate control. We were unlucky to be there with a wedding reception going on ,which meant a disco till midnight which was annoying as we had been located right above the dance floor. Also we were told when I asked, that the bar was closed due to the wedding, when in fact we learnt later hat there was a bar available to residents-just poor staff communication I guess. Apart from that everything was fine-the breakfast was very good and in a lovely room.

Comments