Holiday Inn Express Albert Dock

IHG Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 40% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

• CarolynShort's Profile Photo

Great value

Stayed just one night, but standard of facilities, room and breakfast was as you'd expect from a well-established hotel-chain... clean, reasonably sized rooms, comfortable beds, TV, buffet continental breakfast, small bar next to reception... No room service, but you could take bar drinks to your room, and a couple of restaurants line the edges of the Docks.

Unique Quality: Built within an old red-brick Docks building, my room had vaulted brick ceiling, which gave it a bit of an 'industrial' feel, but added to the sense of history.. I had a great view through the large original window (complemented by a modern double glazed sliding door) over the Docks towards the 'Liver Birds' building in the distance.

Only gripe was that only parking available was in the nearby 'Pay and Display' car parks which although free overnight, meant you had to get down there, to buy a new ticket early every morning.. also car park nearest to the hotel is more expensive than others only a few hundred yards away.

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Fantastic location, unique architecture

I was here for just one night--a Saturday in May, 2004. The whole hotel appeared ultra clean and very new-looking, having been opened only a year or two ago.

Unique Quality: The hotel, like all facilities on Albert Dock, is a renovated dock warehouse. Fortunately, they have retained much of the original architecture, including inner brick walls and arched ceilings in the hallways, which lends it a unique appearance. The bright colors in the rooms are cheery, and by UK standards, the rooms and bathrooms are huge for a medium-grade hotel. The reception desk people were extremely nice and allowed us to store our luggage for several hours after we checked out, since we had more sightseeing to do before catching the train.

Breakfast is buffett style, with great croissants, cappuccino, cereals, fruits, and pastries--with a nice view overlooking the Mersey.

The only drawback is that the walls between rooms are thin, so you can here people talking at night--just bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

Directions: Adjacent to the Beatles Story Museum, with some rooms facing the River Mersey and some facing the parking lot where Paul McCartney performed a huge concert in 1990!

More about Holiday Inn Express Albert Dock

Absolutely love this hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Bernie10

I love this hotel - the location, the huge rooms, the view over the Albert Dock and the Liver Building, the original features they've kept - windows, arched ceiling, brick wall and the huge lobbies and hallways. It probably is a little bit pricey for a so called "budget hotel", but give me this anyday before a soul-less Travel Lodge or something similar. We stayed here on several occasions in the past and will definately do so again. Absoutely fantastic!

Loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member noecat5

My spouse and I and our adult son stayed here 2 nights late September 2006. We loved it. It was our first trip to Europe, and the UK, so we'd never been there before. The hotel is in a fantastic location for all sorts of shopping (there are lots of neat shops attached to the hotel), museums also in the vicinity, the city center is just a few blocks walk away, and tours depart from there also. The River Mersey is right there too. We just had the best time in Liverpool and all walking and taking tours. It was so easy and convenient from this hotel. The room itself was like-new, very comfortable with a large bathroom and a great view out the windows. We actually had 2 rooms and both were great, we were so comfortable. There is a bar there and internet access in the lobby. We hated to leave this hotel and Liverpool. The staff were also all very helpful and nice.

Don't do it.

by TripAdvisor Member Bride&GroomToBe:o)

My finacee and i spent four weekday nights at this hotel and we wouldn't recommend it to others. i'll start however with the positives.

The hotel is modern with the rooms well decorated, clean and maintained. On paper it's in a good location on Albert Dock near various museums, bars and restaurants as well as being a 15 minute walk from the city centre.

As for the negatives, it's very noisy. From the endless taxis pulling up, to passing by drunks to the daily linen delivery every morning at six-thirty am don't expect a quiet nights sleep. The breakfast is very basic with no option of even a paid-for cooked breakfast like Premier Travel Inns offer. The reception is hidden away on the 2nd floor which creates a impersonal feel to the place and is staffed by shy youngsters who could not fulfill a request for one bedroom fan, hardly an unreasonable ask when paying £60 odd pounds a night.

One other thing which Holiday Inn don't exactly go out of their way to point out is the building works going in nearby. There's lots of them and their noisy. Walk anywhere nearby and you'll see cranes and construction. Not the fault of the hotel of course but it would have been nice to know. The receptionists didn't even if everything was ok when i checked out, a first in my expeience.

Holiday Inn describe this as a`"limited service" hotel. In english that means basic. Perhaps then they may consider charging limited services prices in the future. Good people please take my advice and for the money look elsewhere.

Not bad ...

by TripAdvisor Member ElvisK

I've stayed at worse, I've stayed at better.

Positives are the location and lovely spacious rooms. As mentioned elsewhere, the Albert Dock architecture are all in the rooms and bar ... so it's worth a stay just for that.

Despite other comments here I found it quiet but I stayed on the fourth floor so I guess I was shielded from any ground-level disturbances.

The breakfasts aren't great but you get what you pay for - and if you fancy something that isn't going to take years off your life through fatty desposits then this is decent. Cereal/toast/fruit available.

Parking is a bit of a pain - you can only pay overnight to 8am so most mornings there's a steady stream of dishevelled looking blokes going down to pay for a few more hours ...

Also, had a bizarre incident on the way out. I payed for the booking up-front on the internet only to be told by a surley receptionist that I'd not payed and demanded another £70 ... not likely, love! After some argument she took a copy of my invoice and let us go. Shame she had to be so confrontational about it.

Otherwise, it was a good experience there.

Good location, Friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Vince777

We stayed two nights (Friday-Saturday) in this hotel. Our room was nice with a great views of the docs. The first night, we have been woke up several time in the night by drunk people screamming in the corridor and knocking at our door! I thik this is kind of normal for Liverpool on the week-end. We told the front desk, they said they expelled those people and they gave us some money back. i think it was a nice gesture. Otherwise the buffet breakfast is ok and it is about 15 mn walk from the city center
In conclusion, it is a pretty good hotel.

Oh dear!

by TripAdvisor Member AB28

What should have been a relaxing weekend for myself and my young daughter turned out to be a nightmare.

It started off great, the hotel is in an excellent location, our room was lovely with views of the dock and the Liver Building, we had a great day and a lovely meal at a local restaurant, and then it went downhill, we were woke at 2am by a gang of men in the corridor outside our room they stayed there for over 4 HOURS!!! The were chanting football songs and generally just acting like idiots, the language was obscene.

I called reception on a number of occasions and the telephone went unanswered every time, my daughter was terrified and I felt really uncomfortable myself.

When I complained the next morning I was told they had a number of problems with that evening, they were too busy to answer the telephone and there were a number of guests acting like "animals" - the receptionists words not mine! They couldn't have been less interested if they tried.

It was a shame it ended like this after a perfect day :(

Quite nice - would stay again

by TripAdvisor Member caroline_edinburgh

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at Albert Dock for 2 nights and was quite pleased with it. I'd asked for a double room on a high floor with a view of the river and that's what we got. When we first saw the hotel from the outside I was a bit disappointed as the rooms on the 2nd & 3rd floors evidently had higher ceilings and looked like that was where the large atmospheric rooms with exposed brickwork were located. But when we walked into reception (which is on the 2nd floor & is part of a large open plan area which also includes the bar and breakfast area) I was relieved. At about 7pm on a Friday night the bar was completely occupied by what looked like large stag parties and it was very noisy. So we were glad to be as far away from the bar as possible – especially when we were told it was open until 4am! Our room turned out to be not only on the 4th floor but also in a 'cul de sac', far from the lifts, & it was very quiet. It was quite a decent size anyway, nicely decorated and well maintained.

Breakfast was quite a decent continental self-service buffet including nice crusty rolls, cheese, hardboiled eggs & Danish pastries, in addition to the usual cereals. A proper toaster was also available.

My only caveats are :-

- The hotel is a bit of a walk through a not very nice area to the city centre – although buses do serve the Albert Dock & we would probably have used them if we'd been staying longer.

- At £70 for Friday night & £95 for Saturday night it doesn't really count as a budget hotel.

HELL ON EARTH!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Exscouse

Recently returned from 3 night stay here with 10 year old daughter. If you want to be terrorised by large parties of foulmouthed drunks roaming throughout the hotel all night long then this is the place for you. No evident security or answer to calls to reception. Unsafe and awful place to stay.
Night manager uncaring of complaints. Hotel generally don't care about customer safety or comfort.
Go sleep on a park bench instead - safer and cheaper!!!
Avoid at all costs!!!