40 Hope Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L1 9DA, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

Small but perfectly formed

I decided to stay in the Hope Street Hotel for my weekend in Liverpool as it was centrally located (between the two cathedrals) was walking distance to the party I was attending and also was convenient for Lime Street Station (taxi GBP 3-4) and was also not your average chain hotel and was substantially cheaper than Hard Day's Night, the Malmaison or the Hilton. It was a 10 minute walk to Liverpool 1 and there was plenty in walking distance to see and do.

I particularly likened the light rooms (lots of white), contrasted with the wooden floors and the bare brick wall in the room. The room was well-appointed, the bathroom good with great REN products, tea and coffee making facilities and a very comfortable firm bed (UK kingsize). The furnishings were in good condition and the Internet connection was reliable and fast (although sensibly upload limited). There were some nice touches - a DVD and CD library through reception and very adequate room service, although I didn't use the latter.

The only disadvantage with the bathroom might have been the taps, they could have been confusing and difficult to use, which could potentialyl cause someone using the shower to scald themselves. The staff were helpful and polite (ordering taxis, giving directions, making suggestions for where to eat) and I would certainly come back here again.

Unique Quality: boutique hotel, a pleasant change from chain hotels

• Liverpool's coolest hotel

We stay at this hotel in Liverpool quite alot when we go over for Everton games. Its a little more expensive than others around the city centre but is absolutely fantastic. The rooms are beautiful, with under-floor heating and plasma tv's on the wall. The beds are super king size and really comfortable. The restaurant here is great too. The bar in the basement is very relaxed and cool and attracts a nice clientele.

100% recommended.

Unique Quality: The views from the rooms in the attic of this converted building are great. You can see across Liverpool in all directions.

Directions: Less than a ten minute downhill walk to the centre of Liverpool for shopping and nightlife.

More about Hope Street Hotel

Fabulous boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Gaffer75

It's tough to find a decent hotel in Liverpool so I was delighted to come across the Hope Street Hotel. The staff on the phone were extremely helpful. The hotel is difficult to find because it doesn't say "Hope Street Hotel" on the front - be warned. The rooms were sensational - contemporary with crisp clean lines, fabulous big bed and a superb power shower. The restaurant is of a high standard, regularly frequented by Liverpool footballers! Best of all, it's a bit out of town so in a nice quiet location but just a short cab ride to the main action. I would strongly recommend this hotel if you want a touch of luxury - but it doesn't come cheap.

The only place to stay in Liverpool

We stayed at Hope Street Hotel last week and had the most wonderful time. The rooms are contemporary and luxurious and as we splashed out on this trip we stayed in one of the smaller suites which had an amazing mezzanine bathroom with a wooden bath!

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I can only assume that the previous reviewer encountered someone having a bad day? The Manager herself even recommended places to visit and what not to miss which proved invaluable!

We also ate in The London Carriage Works which if you love seafood is not to be missed. It is quite expensive in the fine dining restaurant but we thought it was well worth it. (there is also a very reasonable brasserie menu)

Located in the most beautiful part of the city, Hope Street Hotel exceeded all of our expectaions and I would recommend it to anyone.

Nice Location

by TripAdvisor Member WebbyDog

My wife and I stayed overnight in the Hope Street Hotel, and as per some of the other reviews we liked the location and cleanliness of the rooms.
The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean.

The noise of the wooden floors, squeaking outside our door was almost unbearable, as the sound insulation through (or should I say below) the door was non-existant.

We also were disappointed by the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Although this was probably just to get you to use room service, or force you to go to the downstairs restaurant, so you can "enjoy" their high prices!

We turned the underfloor heating off on the thermostat and opened the windows. Although we would have probably enjoyed the warmth if it had been a cold winter's day.

Overall, the hotel was overpriced, but comfortable.

Return visit - some improvements

by TripAdvisor Member aristoph

I wrote a review here in October last year in which I rated the Hope Street Hotel at just 2 stars mainly due to the very poor service we received. Despite this we returned to the hotel on our recent trip to Liverpool because, to be frank, the other hotels in the city are truly dreadful.

There were no issues this time with the room but I noticed for the first time that there is no air-conditioning, just underfloor heating. Thankfully it was not a hot weekend but this would be a major drawback if the temperature were above 25 degrees outside. Also no proper double glazing - the hotel is in a generally very quiet area but we were woken at 6am by the street-cleaning machine outside. And then again at 8am by the group of women talking in the corridor outside our room. Sound insulation is good between rooms but very poor through the door. No mini-bar and no kettle. Small things but which leave you relying on room service for absolutely everything.

We had managed to get a reservation in the restaurant by booking four weeks in advance. The food was good but certainly did not justify the £45 for three courses charge. (Interestingly in the room brochure they quote £36, so prices have been raised 25% in a relatively short period.) But the main let-down - as throughout this hotel - was the staff. There were pretensions to a formal silver service which just isn't delivered. At least five members of staff seemed to cover our table but it was far from obvious that anyone was actually in charge. This is the same issue that irked us last time. The oldest member of staff seems to be about 23 and there appears to be no-one with sufficient seniority and experience to hold the show together when things go wrong. We did not experience the disdainful attitude which a previous reviewer mentioned but I can understand what they meant. This hotel seems to prioritise appearance over substance and delivery and it shows, from the overdesigned but under-equiped rooms to the pretentious but ultimately uninspired restaurant.

So, given that this is probably the best hotel in Liverpool, we have to face up to reality and admit that on our next visit we will stay in Manchester!

Excellent Hotel

My wife and I really enjoyed our short stay at Hope Street. The room rate is quite high but is relative to the standards received. The hotel is modern and well located.

Breakfast was £14.50 but again of a very high standard and the restaurant was relaxing.

On the downside the room was very warm and the residents lounge was closed the night we were there.

Overall I would definately recommend Hope Street and will go back if I am in Liverpool again.

2 great nights

by TripAdvisor Member Iansmith

Just returned from 2 nights stay and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. The rooms are very smart but I do understand the previous comments about heating albeit I used the old fashion method of opening a window to cool the room down! The Carriage Works, the atttached restaurant serves fantastic food and the service was great as was the basement bar. All in all I will definitely return.

Great as long as you look the part

Oh dear, oh dear, After all these wonderful reviews this will make mine stand out of place. We stayed last night in a beautiful duplex suite of oak, linen and exposed beams with fantastic views. So what went wrong ? Simply the human element. We checked in and it was apparent that the staff were more interested in checking me over. Undisguised top to toe looks of disdain were not ameliorated even by the fact we had booked the best room in the hotel.

Check out was the same - it was awful. Okay so we're not like your "other" customers and I don't dress like Anastasia but hey have you seen my waistline and size 10's ? I didn't realise slacks and Oxford shirt we're so uncool in this hippest of hotels.

The important point here for any hotel is that despite the thousands of pounds spent on decor, an uncustomer focussed attitude from a single member of staff can change your whole persepctive. We won't be going back. Unless of course Anasasia gives me a quick call....

Great hotel and service

by TripAdvisor Member HappywandererLondon

I stayed here on a Monday night having read the reviews on this site, and would recommend the hotel to anyone. As a woman travelling on my own for business, the staff could not have been more helpful and pleasant. The busy brasserie was also very nice - I offered to sit on a sofa to have supper so they could keep tables free, and the manager, who was charming, brought me a complimentary glass of wine to say "Thank You" and to make sure that I was comfortable.
In the morning, I requested an iron, and it arrived within a minute. Nice toiletries, bathrobe etc...
Only negative comments would be: 1. Hotel entrance is actually not on Hope Street, it would have been helpful to know 2. It's a good 10 minutes walk from Lime Street, not 5! 3. The bathroom floor needed re-grouting!

Comments