The Feathers Hotel

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 66% more and rated 15% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about The Feathers Hotel

Pleasently surrprised after reading reviews

by TripAdvisor Member skytraveller90

We have just arrived home from The Feathers Hotel Liverpool, after reading your other reviews were very pleasently surprised. The staff were very helpful on arrival although we were to early to book in we were offered complementry refreshments. The car park was a plus point we just left our car there no need to look for parking and having to pay excessive amounts. Our room was warm and comfortable although the king size bed made it a bit diffucult to get around. Plenty of hot water and towels. Breakfast was good lots of choice and as much as you could eat and drink. Good location a 5 minute walk to the centre and less than 10 to albert dock. We will stay at The Feathers again when we return for another visit. We did pay up front but this is nothing unusal, we are frequent travelers and find this system at about 70% of Hotels not only in Britian but other Countrys as well.

The Worst "Bedroom" I Have ever Stayed In.

by TripAdvisor Member Shannady

I recently returned from a stay at the feathers hotel Liverpool. A party of 4 stayed in 2 twin rooms on the 16 & 17 March. We paid £89.75 each. I booked this hotel on the understanding that it was a 3 star hotel and in comparison to other European cities thought the price was a fairly average.

On arrival we were asked for payment in full. And rather naively on our part we did so without checking the rooms first. At the time I did think this is not normal procedure. Surely they should wait to see if we order extras such as rooms service, mini bar etc. I now know that was likely. My room mate and I were allocated Room no 7. Both Tired and excited we went through the doors of the lobby to find this modern hotel had no lift, but narrow stairs. 3 flights to Room no 7. Firstly it stank of damp and mildew and it just got worse. The room was tiny; it did not have a dresser or even a chair. The carpets are threadbare, the beds were horrible, they we lumpy and the mattress and pillow were extremely uncomfortable In the year 2006 I would expect a hotel of this supposable standard to use quilts for hygiene propose, sadly no. Blankets and old covers, mine had a cigarette burn in it. I slept in the bed bedside the window. The draft in bed was terrible; I have a cold and ear ache since. The windows were filthy. There was no trouser press as advertised and we had to ask for a hairdryer.

The bathroom had no bath and the sink was a tiny wash basin, not the standard bathroom sink. There was a glass shelf over this sink so that if you bent down to wash your face or brush your teeth you either banged your head in the shelf or soaked the horrible carpet floor.

The breakfast was alright.

I spoke to other guests in the hotel who were also upset about their accommodation. One lady told me they had received a refund. But unlike us they had not paid on arrival.

When I spoke to the manager she said yes room 7 is rather small, when you come back I will ensure you get a suite.

I have stayed in Student Hostels better than this.

Avoid, avoid, avoid

by TripAdvisor Member Futebol

I stayed at the Feathers Hotel while on a business trip to Liverpool. I checked the Trip Advisor reviews before travelling and as such was a bit anxious about what I might find. As usual, and unfortunately, Trip Advisor reviewers did not let me down!

The Feathers is shabby. The reception area is, of course, immaculately tricked out but it's all down hill from there I'm afraid. My room was in what the hotel called the University wing, reached through a corridor off reception, the floor decorated with the most gruesome patterned carpet (some of which was stuck together with gaffer tape). I then had to climb three flights of creaking stairs to my room only to find that it was the coldest, pokiest little room I have ever seen. The lighting was incredibly dim and flickered each time I turned on the t.v..My single bed was hard as rock and the bedspread was torn. There was no bedside lamp which meant that when I wanted to turn the lights out to go to sleep I had to practically mount the (chipped) headboard to reach the light switch which was half-way down the wall. The only chair in the room was stained. The bathroom (small) with stained carpet, a cracked basin and rusting shower screen completed the depressing picture. The room also smelled sour and smokey. And yes, I couldn't see out of the windows as the glass was obscured. Do not be tempted into staying at the Feathers because of its all you can eat breakfast, it looked incredibly unappealing, I only managed a muffin and the whole dingy basement restaurant had an alarming egg-y smell that permeated the hallway outside. I noted that the Feathers is displaying a poster saying 'Winner' of some tourism award. I have no idea who awarded this accolade but goodness knows they can't have stayed in my room at the Feathers!
One positive note is that the staff are very friendly and cheerful. But, I expect I would be smiling if I was charging nearly £60 a night for a shabby single room. Avoid.

Never stay

by TripAdvisor Member Ceeks

Never stay in this hotel, it’s a rip off. Myself & my boyfriend paid £210 for two nights checking in March 24th. When we arrived we were asked to pay upfront for the two nights, I asked the receptionist could I view the room first & I was told no. I understand now why she said no when I viewed the room. So we paid & we were shown to our room which was on the ground floor at the back of the hotel. I can only describe this room as a box. The bed wasn't a double bed at all & there was carpet in the bathroom! It was old fashioned, damp, freezing cold & you couldn't swing a cat in it. It was certainly not worth £105 a night. I immediately complained to reception & was told that the whole hotel was booked out & we couldn't be moved. The receptionist had to go & get us an electric heater to heat the room. One of the legs was missing on the heater & the receptionist dropped the heater & it nearly landed on my foot. I asked for a refund & they refunded me only £10 from my entire stay! We were upgraded to an executive room for our second nights stay as I refused to stay in the room for a second night. But the executive room wasn't anything executive at all. It was a twin room with the beds pushed together!! To make matters worse there wasn't at lift & this room was on the 3rd floor! The only friendly member of staff was one of the night porters who got us some late drinks; the other night porter wasn't as pleasant!!

I've stayed in some dumps in my time... but this place takes the award

DO NOT STAY HERE - The place is an utter hole.
If only we'd read the reviews here first! It doesn't even merit the one circle!

We should've smelt a rat when asked to pay up front... but instead we had that pleasure reserved for our first inspection of our 'room' - after decending one flight of narriow stairs and up another.

You know that scene in the film trainspotting when Ewan McGregor's character disappears into the worst toliet in Scotland - well that should give you the general idea of this place.

Four beds crammed into tiny room - bed clothes which looked like they'd gone several rounds with a chain-smoking lion - and lost (shredded and covered in ciggarette burns).

Chunks of plaster falling from the walls, a satellite TV which was marginally bigger than a 1980s casio calculator watch, a broken stereo, and a wardrobe which attempeted to kill us every time we opened the door.

At least sitting on the toilet listening to the swearing chefs preparing 'eat as much as you can stomach' in the kitchen directly below our carpeted bog provided entertainment!

And don't lean back on the chairs in the 'bar', you'll be told by the award winning barman to 'keep them 'king chairs on the ground... they're only new two weeks ago them...'

Not too sure who provided this establishment with an 'award' recently, but clearly they may well have been recent clients of the nearby methadone clinic.

I'd feel only slighly worse if the pleasant barman had Royhypnoled us and carried out deviant acts on us while we slept...

They may look like four stars in the company logo - but they're actually diamonds - see what they did there?

And this is without mentioning the firedoors which open - INWARDS!

We arrived on 31 March and made our escape on 2 April... I expect therapy in the coming months will help our group forget the experience.

Not Recommended

We had planned a girls wkend in liverpool. everyone looking forward to getting to the hotel to unwind and relax.... arrived at the hotel, seemed ok from the outside but appearances can be deceptive.

I have never encountered a place like this. Its unimaginable!

One has to experience it for themselves.

Firstly the rooms are just glorified carboard boxes everything can be heard within the next room.
If your preference is a small, cosy, intimate room , this is the ideal hotel to stay. The beds are literaly in the bathroom. no privacy.

But one cannot knock the cleanliness of the rooms. with what was to offer there was not much cleaning to be done in them. BASIC

The alarm was going off constantly and the bells of some church nearby were similar to a sky news report .....on the hour ever hour.

The day staff were very accomadating but the night porters are indeed the sleeziest profiteering men that one could imagine.
I.e. The cigeratte machine was broke according to the both of them. but conveniently they happened to have several boxes of cigs for sale on the QT...How appropriate!

The profit they made was unbelievable- to bring a NEW FRIEND into the hotel u had to pay an entrance fee supposely ok'd by the management but strangely enough they rang the room to ensure (and cover their own backs the following morning) that the FRIEND you brought back would vacate the hotel before management started!

If you want a sleezy, dirty weekend away this is the ideal spot for anything goes. IDEAL lOVERS LEAP DESTINATION.

This is not a hotel for ladies and weekend breaks.

Don't even go there...

My goodness. This hotel is so bad, it's surreally hilarious. At least it would be if you didn't have to pay for the nightmare. The room was freezing as the window wouldn't shut; the tv wasn't working at first; the telephone wasn't working at all (when I pointed out that this was a health and safety matter - if I fell or fell ill in the night, how could I contact reception? - the reply was that it was nothing to do with health and safety; the bed was really uncomfortable; I didn't sleep because of the cold; there were no table lamps and when I asked for one, the reply was 'we may be able to find you a broken one without a shade'. All I needed was for the water in the shower to be cold after such a dreadful night. You guessed it...

Not as bad as other reviews make out

13 of my friends and I have just stayed at The Feathers for a hen weekend. When I read the reviews on this site I was tempted to cancel our booking. I would just like to say that this hotel isn't that bad. The rooms are quite small and hot in this weather, but its clean and the staff are very friendly.

The breakfast was very good & its right in the town centre. If you are going on a weekend there, like we did, to have a good laugh and not expect anything out of the ordinary then it isn't a bad place to stay. I certianly don't think it deserves the bad press its been getting.

Its good for hen parties etc. There was a bit of noise from other parties, but not too bad. Only complaint was the bells from the cathedral on Sunday morning!

Fine hotel, nothing special but ok

by TripAdvisor Member actual_al

We stayed in this hotel last year and like other people on this website I was tempted to cancel after reading reviews on here. However the hotel though basic was fine. Our car was parked securely for the five days we stayed and the rooms though small were comfortable and clean, all you need really.

The staff were friendly and helpful, calling us a taxi on the nights we went out of town to eat. Breakfast was fine too. We sat in the bar on the Live 8 night after the big screen in Clayton Sq was put off and the barman was great, chatty and friendly. I cant comment on the cost because we booked last minute through Laterooms and got a great deal.

Overall we enjoyed out stay here, the hotel is central for town, and would return if we come back to Liverpool.

wedding hotel

by TripAdvisor Member World_Wandering

We stayed here for a wedding, it was ok, the rooms varied in size immensly. We paid the same price as others in our party for a room a quarter of the size. The Weeding suite smelt awful of sewers and the fan had to be left on constantly.
the bar downstairs was incomplete and there was no music even though we were told it would be finished for a party. We paid an awful lots of money to hire the room and it was very dark. The hotel room we were in was next to the builders outside. The bathroom was small ad smelly. the staff are very good however and if you speak to them they will try and rectify any problems!The location is good.

Cunard Steamer plaqueCunard Steamer plaque

A Case HistoryA Case History

the tall tall belfrythe tall tall belfry

Exterior 1Exterior 1

How long does it take

by Melburnmadness

I am travelling to England from Melbourne Australia to England and had the following question:

How long does it take to travel from Liverpool to London by train or by bus and what is the difference in cost?

thanks

jlc

by phillarkins

g'day!
hi i am from melbourne currently living in uk. takes around 2 hours 30 minutes and is anywhere from 14 pounds up to 30 pounds. One way. check out
www.virgintrains.co.uk/
hope it helps
you can sometimes get really cheap train deals as well if you book well in advance.

RE: RE: How long does it take

by leics

www.nationalrail.co.uk gives timetables and fares, www.nationalexpress.com does the same for coaches (buses). I'd go for the train if you can get a good fare (www.thetrainline.com to purchase tickets online), simply because coaches take ages and are at the mercy of traffic problems (though you'll get to see more of England, I suppose). Hope this helps.

by eAyeAddio

Liverpool to London by train is 2.5 hours and the trains leave hourly on the hour. Can cost up to £55 unless the ticket is purchased before 18,00h on the day before travel. Don't travel at peak times (before 10 am or after 5 pm) and you will get a good deal.

Busses can take up to 6 hours because of the heavy traffic on this route, are operated by National Travel, and are not a good idea. They are uncomfortable and not as cheap as they should be.

EasyJet run flights from Liverpool John Lennon Airport to London Luton Airport where you can transfer to a coach or suburban rail link for the remaining 30 miles of the journey.

It's a no-brainer. Take the Inter-city Train between 10 am and 5 pm.

by demic

May be a bit too pricey, but check out www.flyvlm.co.uk. They fly 4 times a day from Liverpool airport to London City airport ( by Docklands ). Takes about 45 mins.

Comments