Hotham Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3 5PD, United Kingdom

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• follow_the_sun's Profile Photo

Central and great staff

The Lord Nelson Hotel is situated outside Liverpool Lime Street station - it offers realtively good value for money and the staff are very friendly. Rooms are slightly spartan but very clean, and each bedroom has an ensuite bathroom.

The hotel also has a cool bar area, and for some strange reason the bar-maids are dressed up in a different uniform every night - french maids, schoolgirls, you get the picture...girls are quite attractive too, so i'm not complaining!

The only drawback is the noise on weekends, when the bar is full till the early hours of the morning. if you want to party, this is fine, but if you are travelling with kids etc who need to sleep, I asume that this can be a problem.

Directions: Exit Liverpool Lime street Station onto Lord Nelson street and turn right, 50 metres up the hill.

More about The Lord Nelson Hotel

Rude staff, filthy hotel

We stayed for one night, thank god. The room was advertised as a double but the bed was not a full sized double. The staff were very rude. There was skirting board hanging off in the bedroom, tiles hanging off in the bathroom with mould growing behind them, paint peeling all around the bath. This is the dirtiest hotel I've ever had the misfortune the stay in. The clanking lift kept us up half the night and builders woke us up at 8.00am.

Don't believe the - receptionist, Clare, who tells you the hotel has a car park. It doesn't. There is a yard behind it owned by the group who owns this hotel. If you park your car there you risk getting blocked in for the entire day by builders who will park there and then go off site. Luckily we bumped into some and they moved their cars. We could have got trapped there for the day otherwise.

Disgusting

by TripAdvisor Member chanjo

I booked my stay via the Liverpool accommodation line. I was so pleased with the overall cost. However, I arrived at the hotel to find that the reception area and bars were great. Not so lucky with my room. The walls were filthy, no tv (I was told there would be a tv), no shower like I was told there would be, had to wash my hair with a beer glass. Very noisy outside my room. No curtain at bathroom window, people could see in. No wardrobes or drawers for my clothes. What kind of a hotel is this. I returned home two days earlier than expected and I got a partial refund.

a great place

just back from a weekend stag do at liverpool. stayed at this hotel and found the accommadation clean. the staff in the hotel were very friendly (except the night porter who didn't smile the whole weekend. think he needs a few extra tips or even a pay rise!) and helped us with any problems or queries we had. was located very close to the town centre. would definetely recommend this hotel to couples and groups staying in liverpool town centre.

Good value

Stayed for a couple of nights at Lord Nelson (having moved from The Liner next door where the room was so warm that I just had to move out). The room at Lord Nelson was cooler despite neither hotel having air conditioning. There are no phones in the rooms. My room was quiet and clean enough, and seemed recently refurbished. I can imagine weekends might be noisier, especially in rooms closer to the "Dugout" bar in the basement. Very impressive range of good beers from around the world in the bar, I might add. Overall, a good value basic hotel with friendly and down to earth staff.

Style over substance...

I recently had the misfortune of staying in this hotel for a wedding I was attending in Liverpool, it had been pre-booked by the bride for us and she had negotiated a discount. All good so far.

When we arrived we were charged full room rate because the receptionist did not know about the discount, with the promise of having it refunded later when she had checked with the manager.

When we went to our room we were shocked at how hot it was, a thermometer on the wall said 31 degrees, this was at 8pm. Unfortunately the bay windows had been painted closed. My pregnant wife was not going to put up with that heat so I went to ask for some help from the receptionist, whose first idea was to offer me a kitchen knife to cut through the paint! After much umming and ahhing we were eventually moved to another room in which you could open the windows.

All was ok unti the next evening on our return from the wedding, there was a party of about 7 of us who decided to have a drink in the bar while my sister (the bride) checked in before going to get changed out of her wedding dress for one more drink. She was told by the receptionist that they had let the room go as they had not checked in by 10pm, EVEN THOUGH SHE HAD TOLD THEM SHE WOULD BE LATE. "We tried to call you to see if you were still coming but there was no answer" She was getting married at the time. So they were standing there telling a newly married couple that their wedding suite was not available for them. After many tears and angry words they eventually "found" a spare room for them. Very magnanamous of them.

After all this we finally sat down to have a drink in the bar when suddenly a fight started, obviously this is not the hotel's fault, I am surprised, however, that they provide weapons to prospective brawlers, yes, in the bar, hanging on the wall were four old style police batons which were subsequently grabbed by the protagonists and used to threaten each other. All with the night porter looking on impassively. Eventually it calmed down, without any bloodshed (thank god!) at which point the night porter furnished all the fighters with another round of drinks, not throwing them out or refusing to serve them any more alcohol - the atmospehere not being great from that point on.

I can say that I have not got one positive thing to say about this hotel except, maybe, that the bar is well decorated and they did let drinkers in the bar have the leftovers from a buffet from a party in the function room. Nice touch that unfortunately is not going to make me recommend this hotel to anyone.

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member John1971

I stayed here last week (July '06) for the Open Championship in Hoylake.
Firstly, we were asked to pay in advance, when I asked why, I was told that people have left without paying (i don't blame them)
Our room was tiny (clean, i admit), no wardrobe, tv, or even a bedside locker)
The sink was in the bedroom!!

Sleeping was near impossible due to the heat and the noise from outside.

"breakfast" was a self-serv, stand up buffet which was prepared in the bar the previous night! We decided to wait for a bacon sandwich at the golf course..

We paid £200.00 for 2 nights, the high price of hotels during major sporting events.

Never again.

Dirty

by TripAdvisor Member tinsi

I stayed with my father in the hotel for 3 days in july.
at the arrive, when we went in our room, we noticed that it wasn't clean, so we asked to change and so it was, but the second room was not clean too! in particular the linen and the towel were alredy used!
the third room was clean but for 3 days they never changed the towel!
they position was very good, near the station and the town center.

Value for money

by TripAdvisor Member ChshireCat87

We have just returned from a week at the Lord Nelson. The hotel is brilliantly located close to the centre of town and right by Liverpool Lime Street station, the museums and the Empire Theatre. We stayed on the first floor in a double room, priced at £70. The room itself was extremely basic, no wardrobe/tv etc but it was clean at least. Staff seemed friendly enough, and there was a good range of world beers in the 'dugout' bar. We did have a few nights were we didn't sleep very well due to a few rowdy irish stag parties but apart from that we slept like babies! They have got a blue and gold macaw in the reception area, fittingly called Nelson! Admire from afar, he was quite vicious! All in all an alright place to stay if u have other things to do in the city like sight seeing or a concert.

Wicked hotel for a lasses or lads weekend away

by TripAdvisor Member girlzontour

Me and my mates stayed at the Lord Nelson earlier in the year and thought the place was spot on so visited again. The staff are really friendly and tell you all the best night spots to visit if your not from the area.

The rooms are basic but clean with tv and coffee makin facilities not that we had time to watch tv n drink coffee more like vodka. We had a well good time out and about in Liverpool what a mental place and made all the more better by the Lord Nelson been so close to all the bars and clubs.

Quite noisy on a night but that was due to a group of Irish men staying in the hotel and probably us as well but hey thats what its all about having fun.

Spot on to the staff of the hotel we will deffo be coming again.

Comments