Lord Street, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 1JS, United Kingdom

Booking.com Travelocity Agoda.com

Satisfaction Poor

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 68% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• No heating and couldn't care less staff

We booked a family room for a Saturday night in late September (26/09/09 to be exact and I'm writing this at home the same evening! read on!)

Would you believe that there is not heating? No really, none what so ever - not even a heated towel rail. It was quite a cool evening and getting colder as it does at this time of year so we asked why the heating wasn't on. Head office policy would you believe? They offered extra blankets but we would have to wait for an hour or so as they had a wedding party to deal with. What about us as paying guests?
    Two hours later our children wanted to go to sleep but still no blankets - we asked again and got the stock answer. It was now so cold my neck was stiff and I felt chilled right through. The children were unhappy and my wife who has cancer was feeling it more than me. We checked out amid a drunken rabble who had spilled out of one of the function rooms. One reveller nearly sent my wife flying as he lurched into her, oblivious to our presence. Not a place I would recommend to families to, that's for sure!

Unique Quality: Let us hope this is truly unique and that there are no similar hotels out there!

Directions: Main street

More about Britannia Prince of Wales-Southport

Absolutely dreadful

The hotel is tired,dirty and a total waste of a nice building. The room was cold, the towels had holes in and they messed up the booking with the rooms. The porter then became very aggressive with a member of our party and threatened to 'smash his nose in'.....Absolutely dreadful given the price we had to pay for the room. We will NEVER stay in this hotel ever again.

The Prince Is Wailing!

While majestic from a distance, this place is a dump! We had reserved one of their premium rooms expecting "majestic" and the "royal treatment" in an "architectural wonder". What we found was dirty carpets, paint peeling off the bathtub and an unsafe balcony of rotting wood. In addition, the bar resembled Archie Bunker's living room - tacky, tacky, tacky! If the Prince of Wales were to visit, he would certainly be disappointed. Stay at the Waterton Lakes Lodge instead. They provided updated, clean accomodations with friendly service at a fraction of the cost.

Don't go until you've read this

by TripAdvisor Member Mactosh

Staff-friendly and attentive
rooms-average size and quality
food- not bad, had afternoon tea it was ok

overall-needs an update and the management should enlist a consultant to improve service etc.

NB found a great tearoom on Eastbank Sreet called Darcys-had a great aftrnoon tea and was entertained by a pianist-excellent

New Year Confusion

Rooms clean,warm and comfortable.
Food acceptable but service non existant.
Confusing information given by the staff re meal times and events. They appeared to be indifferent to independent travellers who were tacked on to the Coach Parties.

Southport is not Liverpool City Centre

Informed that this hotel had same facilities as our origninal booking which was with a sister hotel in Liverpool city centre. It did not, but price was still the same. Basic room/bar/restaurant facilities, very disappointing. Too far from city centre and was not cheap to get taxi to the city. The staff were reluctant to resolve problem which they created (ie changing our booking 2 days before our arrival). Bad communication between staff in this hotel and sister hotel. And most disappointing of all no residents bar/gym/pool as were some of the reasons for booking in the first place. Were also overcharged for rooms on checking in and took considerable time to resolve issue. Would not recommend to anyone to stay here!!!!!

Warning, stay clare of room 35!!!

Room 35 is so moist (you can tell from the smell), they had to install an extra fan. The fan is directed right abow the headbord of the bed. The room is moist and the fan is noicy. After some thoroughly arguing we managed to change room, and the replacement was ok. The hotel is a bit weared down, but ok after all. Thes staff seems a bit resignated, and it is obvious that the owners doesent care much for theis staff. Or listen to their feedback.

worst hotel anywhere!

This hotel has got to be one of the worst I have ever stayed in. Anywhere on this planet!. It is well past its sell by date and seems to be suspended in the dark ages. I first stayed there four years ago and swore I would not inflict such an unpleasant experience on myself again, but last weekend Southport seemed to be full to overflowing and with a last minute booking it was all I could find. The hotel is dirty, out of date with staff who would be more suited working in a prison camp. They are un-interested and some positively rude. Breakfast time was a struggle trying to have a simple thing as tea served with the food, that was when the head waiter permitted me to sit at a table! One or two people did manage to sneak in and sit down but were told to go back out and wait until they were allocated a table. As it was a Saturday of rugby on the box I had intended to sit in the bar and watch the England match but none of the public area televisions would receive anything other than music channels. Yeah right! As a retired police officer I have seen better detention cells than the room I was in. When I went to bed at about 11.30pm I discovered that the bed had been made but not changed from the last prisoner. Sorry, guest. It was filthy and I had to go downstairs to the reception where a very helpful chap had it sorted out very quickly. He was the only helpful member of staff I encountered. As I sat in the lounge/reception on Sunday morning waiting to be picked up I enjoyed a newspaper and watched the staff throwing coal on the two open fires and fully expected to see Oliver Twist to arrive and pick a pocket or two! If you like staying in a 'nice' hotel, then avoid the Prince of Wales at all costs. It is a dump and belongs in the dark ages

worst hotel of the year award

Arriving late at the hotel.
We stumbled into our room exhausted after a long jouney, to be greeted by chipboard furniture / a smell which followed wherever you went / a bed which if a lab technition were to take samples of - well, doesn't bare thinking of! & an unsanitory bathroom.
Needless to say we asked for another room where the night porter was sympathetic - he was obviously used to these complaints, he then gave us 'the suite'. They're trying I thought! 'The suite had received a lick of paint &......a new bed, although i wish they had thought of new bedding. The room was freezing. The bathroom had a new bathroom suite, however mould & limescale were already on the bath. That night after searching frantically for another hotel - all were fully booked.
We reluctantly slept ON TOP OF THE BED so as not to catch anything!
Needless to say it was NOT a good night sleep. We checked out immediatly, all this for the princely sum of: £99.00 now that's value for money!

The Prince of Wales used to be THE BEST hotel in Southport. This was true 15 years ago.
It is a beautiful building which has sadly been extremely mistreated.
It is no longer a hotel but a hostel!

P.O.W (camp) Southport

the prince of wales hotel situated on lord street in southport was suggested to me by a long term friend who has the unfortunate problem of working in the building by the time i checked out i wondered what i had done in my life to wrong him!
the hotel itself is dated and badly in need of refurbishment the rooms are appalling and the staff rude and inconsiderate(with a few exceptions)
the general age of guest appears to be ,without appearing rude myself, to be the part of the population desperate to hear a voice saying "move towards the light"
the function rooms in the hotel would be stunning if the owners of the company loosened the purse strings and bothered to spend money on the property
the restaurant staff were rude and annoying to the extreme
the general manager is a stuck up quite obviously over the top camp man with the ability to nauseate without effort and appears to be a reject from the rainbow cast who believes his own hype
the lady who checked me out in the morning appeared to be more interested in sorting out personal liaisons on her mobile than help attend to my needs
the few rays of light came from the bar staff in particular the assistant bar manager margaret who was friendly and attentive and from the staff who worked the night shifts who were helpful in every way possible
on the whole i think i would have preferred to eat something on "Im a celebrity get me out of here" than what was being deemed food in the lounge area and the loud boystrous staff in the area were enough to put anyone off their meal
my overall opinion of the hotel as you can tell is not good and despite my long suffering former colleague working there i would advise anyone considering it to get a frontal lobotomy and forget your personal details before filling in the registration card, having worked in the hotel and catering trade all my life this was something akin to decomposing meat dressed as lamb (having gone far past the mutton stage) and i would reccomend that this hotel is updated or shut down with immediate effect

Comments