Indeed Churchtown is where Southport had its origins so a visit here is quite historical too. The earliest settlement comprised shrimpers’ and weavers’ cottages, in the ancient village of North Meols - because of St Cuthberts (the church) it became known as Churchtown. In 1798 William ‘Duke’ Sutton built the first public house - the Original Hotel, situated at South Hawes (meaning houses south of Churchtown) in a wide valley between the sandhills - this later became Lord Street. The hotel was built next to a bathing house constructed from shipwreck timber, which he built in 1792 for bathers from Churchtown, who used it during the summer months. Thus began the origins of this popular seaside resort.